Metal bands that give the phrase "Heavy Metal" a bad name

Originally posted by IOfTheStorm
I forgot to mention Rhapsody..oh my God this band must perish in sickening vomit.."hollywood metal" ???????what is this, a new fashion for 14year old kids?..

That's a tad harsh. They may not sing like rats on acid or talk about eating your unborn sons but they are doing a much better job of continueing what metal is than many U.S. Nu-Metal bands.

Rhapsody for me are not heavy metal at all...no strong metal feeling, no energy, no double lead guitars smashing everything, just classical orchestra thing with few metal riffs..u think that this continues what metal is???????...bands who continue what metal is are underground cause of this new fashion with everyone singing heavy metal carols...u want some new usa power metal bands, try cauldron born, twisted tower dire, and skullview and see for urself who continues the great us metal inheritance..

Rhapsody for me are not heavy metal at all...no strong metal feeling, no energy, no double lead guitars smashing everything...bands who continue what metal is are underground cause of this new fashion with everyone singing heavy metal carols...u want some new usa power metal bands, try cauldron born, twisted tower dire, and skullview and see for urself who continues the great us metal inheritance..

It's an opinionated argument. Some people will love Rhapsody and some people will hate it. And there is a huge foundation of metal that is derived from the cheese-fest of yester-year - Ronnie James Dio made a good career out of it!

Whether you like them or not, Rhapsody are incredibly talented. Those are real 70 piece orchestras you're hearing, with real Russian choirs etc. The production is fantastic too! It all takes huge amounts of orchestration and if you like neo-classical influences on your metal with a little fantasy thrown in, then Rhapsody fill the gap. If you also like haunting movie soundtracks then Rhapsody create a good fusion.

By the way, the Italians are known for their cheese in movies too. Look at what Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci did with their horror movies, and yet there is a cult following. You have to appreciate the genre when listening to tracks like "Beyond the Gates of Infinity" or "The Bloody Rage of the Titans". It's the cheese that attracts the fans...!!!!

I agree with IronPlant in that Rhapsody do much more for the music than the MTV driven Nu-Metal bands. Thank god for bands outside of the US not giving a crap about MTV, otherwise you wouldn't have the PP festivals!!

Yes mighty warrior......

I like Rhapsody... gives me something diffrerent to listen to once in a while. I'm not one of those people that can only listen to one style of music (meaning rock, metal, death, hardcore, punk, nu-metal, power, etc..)... I gotta change things up once in a while.

I found Rhapsody in a local record shop on the new release wall (a strange occurance if there ever was one) and bought it having never heard of them or anything by them. I was floored and instantly went to my "metal" store 40 miles from home and picked up their other 2 albums at the time.

Personally, I don't think there is a true Metal band out there, well known enough in the mainstream to give Metal a bad name, even if they wanted to. The average person has never heard of Rhapsody or Hammerfall. So how could they give Metal a bad name?

GZ

I think the argument is that bands like Hammerfall are an embarrasment to the "heavy metal" world, not the mainstream.

It's ok when Spinal Tap do it, but Hammerfall do it for real.

I think that most of this argument comes from the fact that most people don't even agree on what metal is, or what it sounds like. What one's opinion on what really is "metal" has a lot to do with just how wide of a scope they have on the gradual evolution of metal. For a example, some might not even think bands like Blind Guardian or Nightwish are metal because off the heavy fantasy elements and how much they barrow from classical music. This would be a understandable opinion of a person who's scope of metal only goes back to 80's metal, and especially if its only 80's popular with the masses, metal. A person who has a scope that goes back to bands like Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath would probably say other wise because both of these bands had softer songs to go with their hard songs, as well as heavy fantasy themes and/or metaphors. The same could be said for the Rhapsody argument, if a person thinks that metal can only be something loud , fast, and about drugs, sex, and rock?n role, then NO, Rhapsody is not a metal band and to be considered one gives metal a bad name.

Iron Plant ...heavy metal is not about heavy fantasy elements..and of course far from how much a band barrows from classical music...heavy metal is about filthy rough guitar riffs, double lead guitar thunders, and a lethal doze of POWER..rhapsody and nightwish have nothing of that, they are both cheesy...just compare a great 80s heavy metal band like Omen, or Manowar and see the differences...
"Personally, I don't think there is a true Metal band out there, well known enough in the mainstream to give Metal a bad name, even if they wanted to.
"The average person has never heard of Rhapsody or Hammerfall. So how could they give Metal a bad name? "
Come on u must be joking, everyone has heard these bands...they are promoted as hell from magazines....true metal bands unfortunatelly are almost ALL underground even the bands from u.s.a. that play this stuff..the "true metal" festival in kalamazoo- usa last year had only 200 people for crowd...

I think we may ALL be missing the point. This thread had NOTHING to do with the music I don't think - I got the impression it was about style and imagery. In other words, seeing bands like Hammerfall wearing swords, sandals, and armor on stage or in their CD sleeves, or even Rob Halford in the 80's wearing all that leather and whip stuff.

I'm not necessarily knocking their music - but there is definately a style element that makes 'some' heavy metal embarrasing. Unless of course some of you actually wear leathers, whips, and armor walking dow the street! :)

We went through a whole discussion about Rob Halford and that what he wore was more akin to the times, but since Hammerfall do this in the year 2002, then it is a bit silly isn't it? In fact, if I remember correctly, the Hammerfall guitarist even wears a damn cloak like superman or something!

Why should what they wear have any bearing on the music they play? Elton John, Freddie Mercury or David Bowie weren't exactly known for their typical musical attire yet they still made some great music.

Also to IOFTHESTORM---Having listened to 80's metal when it was happening I found the imagry of Omen and Manowar to be quite cheesey themselves when they were doing thier thing but that didn't take anything away from the fact that Battle Cry and Into GLory Ride were killer albums. I don't think anything's changed into the 90's and 2000's with the newer bands. Theatrics, stage, imagry has been a part of metal and music as far back as I can remember. Look at KISS and Alice Cooper to WASP. People at one time or another have knocked them for thier stage attire. Same with Omen, Manowar, Rhapsody, Hammerfall. Does that make them a bad band....NO I think not. I still think people are confusing this issue altogether, but that's just my opinion.

OK I was just being polite to the Hammerfall fans but no more mister niceguy!! :) I agree with your points about Freddy Mercury and David Bowie etc, but whether you like them or not, I think we can all appreciate the fact that they are phenomenal musicians/singers/song writers/composers etc.

Same applies to some of the metal bands you listed. And here's the offensive part of this message: Hammerfall not only look like losers, but they sound crap too.

Hammerfall suck so bad, I just wish they'd disappear. Everything about them makes me want to vomit, and that is why they give heavy metal a bad name. Renegade was SOOOO bad that I actually threw it out of my car window, and drove over it a few times.

Actually, I returned it and got a full refund, but hey, it was a close decision.

Zinescene:When i say "cheesy" i mean the overall feeling of the band..when u hear to Manowar or Omen ..u definetally dont get cheesy feeling...and things changed much for me...in the 80s , heavy metal bands created atmosphere only with a guitar, a bass , drums and killer vocals..not with keyboards , violins and classical music going above the riffs..

Iron Plant ...heavy metal is not about heavy fantasy elements..and of course far from how much a band barrows from classical music...heavy metal is about filthy rough guitar riffs, double lead guitar thunders, and a lethal doze of POWER..rhapsody and nightwish have nothing of that, they are both cheesy...just compare a great 80s heavy metal band like Omen, or Manowar and see the differences...

You missed my point entirely while prooving it at the same time. I said that someone who uses their basis of what metal is on 80s metal would probably not think they were metal because of what 80's metal was. Your aregument by reffering to 80's metal as a standard only prooves my point. I also did not say that metal had to have fantasy elements to be metal, but it doesn't hurt it eather. A lot of the lyrics to the first metalish and actual metal songs were fantasy based. And to say that a metal is about filthy rough guitar riffs, double lead guitar thunders and a lethal doze of power is so far off base. We could be here all day if we were to name every metal album that had a good song that didn't go by that outline.

Here is one thing I have to say after reading all of your comments is that I thought I had a closed mind about music, but after reading what people say on this thread and on many of the other threads on this forum, I realized I had an open mind about music. I love power, progressive, death, black, gothic, and what have you. Some people like Rhapsody, some don't. Don't give them the label metal, and they don't call themselves hollywood metal, that is what their label gave to them. It is not like that chose that category. Another thing, yes, metal is suppose to heavy, hard, and everything else, but what is wrong when bands want to do stuff out of the norm and combine numerous music genres together to create something. I love Rhapsody, because mixing metal, folk music, classical music, and everything else they use, it just turned out so well. Metal isn't always about banging your head and heaviness. There is a such thing called melody, and I hate it when metal bands don't have melodies, that is why I don't like hardcore or nu-metal, because they just threw some guitar riffs together and some screaming vocals. You need melody and a contrast of things, dynamics, and what have you, like rhapsody. They have dynamics, and if you haven't heard their new cd, you need to hear it, it is really heavy and it has some great arrangements and melodies.

Now my comments about bands dressing up. I like Hammerfall, I haven't seen them live yet, even though I would like to. What is wrong trying to add enhancements to a bands visual side. I think it is funny as hell, and the bands do it for many reasons. Nobody has mentioned anything about Lost Horizon, they dress up and everything, and they are also amazing. I love Hammerfall's first and second cd a lot, i wasn't to big on renegade though. People should really reevaluate a lot of things when they listen to music, and try new things out, and not be very judgemental, if you don't like something, you don't like it, but try giving some of these bands more of a chance. Dual lead guitars and stuff like that, not all bands need to be alike, we need differences people.

I could go on forever, but I won't. I am only 17 years old, and to me, it seems like I think more maturely about music than a lot of other people do. Quit being harsh about bands you don't like, so what, you don't like them, then don't waste your breath telling us you don't like them.

Mainly smurf band like Edgay, Children Of Boredom, In Flames, Hamsterfall, are a shame for heavy metal...praise the underground!

FUCK THE UNDERGROUND. WHEN I STARTED BEING A METAL DJ (9YEARS AGO) I SENT OUT 300 LETTER TO 'UNDERGROUND BANDS WHO VIRTUALLY PLEADED TO GET SOME AIRPLAY. I GOT 12 RESPONSES. THESE CRAPPY JAMBOX PRODUCED BANDS WANT SOME AIRPLAY I THOUGHT I'D GIVE IT TO THEM. BUT I SUPPOSED THEY GOT SCARED. WHEN THEY HEARD THAT THEIR STUFF SOUNDED LIKE SHIT.
IT'S NOT VERY OFTEN A GODDAMN DJ CONTACTS A BAND AND ASKS FOR SOMETHING, IT'S USUALLY THE OTHER WAY AROUND...

SO FOR ALL OF YOUR EDGAY AND CHILDREN OF BOREDOM REMARKS UNTIL I HEAR BETTER.....THAT'S IT...

Theatrics, stage, imagry has been a part of metal and music as far back as I can remember. Look at KISS and Alice Cooper to WASP. People at one time or another have knocked them for thier stage attire. Same with Omen, Manowar, Rhapsody, Hammerfall. Does that make them a bad band....NO I think not. I still think people are confusing this issue altogether, but that's just my opinion. [/B][/QUOTE]

AMEN!