Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Mullmuzzler

Jul 26, 2002
Round Rock, TX
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2585154.aspx

Completely shocked that it was MP. I always thought Rudess or LaBrie would be leaving DT first (or even Myung for that matter).

But as I said in another forum:

I have mixed feelings about this but here it goes:

-I'm saddened by the fact that MP had to leave..but (I don't want to sound like an ass)

I think this needed to happen. I think MP had TOO much control (including creatively) and even though their last albums were good, they were not great. The best DT lyricist was JLB (in the last few albums) and he couldn't contribute in Black Clouds. Wither was composed as a demo by JP and it's a great song. JM wanted to demo before going to the studio instead of just writing/recording whatever came to mind. I hope this departure makes some positive changes within the band (JM lyrics, demoing, more JLB lyrics, less wankery). I also hope they can bring at least an outside producer with half of the control. Drummer replacements that come to mind are John Macaluso (he's from the NY area) and Mike Mangini (Boston area, Berkeley prof), so we'll see..(even Mark Zonder or Gavin Harrison, GH being a long shot)

Again, this is my opinion and I hope I don't get ripped by it (even if it's posted somewhere else). I love MP and DT but I think this is a good move by MP and by the band. MP felt burnt out, and DT right now are commercially on top of their peak (even though their music is suffering a bit). I hope DT leaves a door open for MP if he decides to come back.

Hey, Mully....I think you are probably right...good for MP and good for the rest of the band. No surprise that MP is being a bit of a drama queen about it, though. And I suppose he has every right to take on that role too - for the time being. For me, the overhanging question is more about the business side of the band rather than about the writing and performance side, becuse it would seem that MP was heavily involved in that side of things too...

Paul

And the beat goes on.......I wonder if he will start up a new band. I can't imagine MP just filling in as a hired hand for someone else. Time will tell.....