New Haken vs. New Voyager

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
So I have listed to both a few times over the past couple of days and prog fans should rejoice...for very different reasons.

With Haken, I am basically overwhelmed. I honestly cannot grasp half the album yet. It's basically takes all the elements from the debut and takes them not only up one level, but several levels. The big key is that there is still plenty of melody as opposed to an avante-garde type releaes that is psycho just to be psycho. This is the kind of disc that I love to put the headphones on and grab a bottle of wine for the evening.

With Voyager, it's party time, prog-style bitches! The emphasis now is more on the song as opposed to the chops. I want to grab a few beers and groove right along until the one of the Depeche Mode style tunes hits. Then, it's all ass-shaking ("Morning Light II" !!) Don't expect a "new" sound, but more of a refinement of what you have already come to love about Voyager. Danny's voice continues to be at the top of the genre as well.

This sounds pretty awesome. I've been liking the 1st Haken album, quite a bit, and for me, Voyager was a great re-discovery after they were announced last year. I had gotten their 1st album years ago when it was released and I thought it was great, but then I completely lost track of them... so I've had the opportunity to listen to their excellent 2nd and 3rd albums since I got them at the "insider sale" last year, and I strongly anticipate that the live show is going to fucking rock mightily!

So I have listed to both a few times over the past couple of days and prog fans should rejoice...for very different reasons.

With Haken, I am basically overwhelmed. I honestly cannot grasp half the album yet. It's basically takes all the elements from the debut and takes them not only up one level, but several levels. The big key is that there is still plenty of melody as opposed to an avante-garde type releaes that is psycho just to be psycho. This is the kind of disc that I love to put the headphones on and grab a bottle of wine for the evening.

With Voyager, it's party time, prog-style bitches! The emphasis now is more on the song as opposed to the chops. I want to grab a few beers and groove right along until the one of the Depeche Mode style tunes hits. Then, it's all ass-shaking ("Morning Light II" !!) Don't expect a "new" sound, but more of a refinement of what you have already come to love about Voyager. Danny's voice continues to be at the top of the genre as well.

:kickass:

With the little I have listened to, Voyager is shaping up to be the band I am most looking forward to at this point. Kind of like Oceans of Sadness last year.

can't really say voyager has ever focused on chops MORE than song, to me, they have been a song-oriented band since the beginning, but, since I hadn't heard of them til last years announcement, they are one of the bands I am most looking forward to since I bought their catalogue at the presale last year and have been overwhelmed by their strength of song!!!

Definite purchases on both of these. Haken's debut was out there, but accessible. Glad to know they've taken it up that proverbial notch.

As for Voyager - hell, more of the same but BETTER? Pencil me in for some beer.

You guys are in for such a treat with Voyager live. I've only seen them once, stupidly I've had the opportunity to see them once or twice years ago and not gone, but they're very good. Good songs, good chops and very fun. Wish I was coming this year :(

can't really say voyager has ever focused on chops MORE than song, to me, they have been a song-oriented band since the beginning, but, since I hadn't heard of them til last years announcement, they are one of the bands I am most looking forward to since I bought their catalogue at the presale last year and have been overwhelmed by their strength of song!!!

I would have to concur with that assessment.

On Voyager's website, it says new album will ship on Oct 1st for Australian fans. Pretty close to festival. Any chance for it to be available at the fest ?

On Voyager's website, it says new album will ship on Oct 1st for Australian fans. Pretty close to festival. Any chance for it to be available at the fest ?

It's already been announced that the new Voyager, as well as Haken, and Eldritch, will ALL be available early at the fest! :D

Who's coming to see their US Debut next Sunday in Brooklyn, NY alongside Creation's End, Suspyre and CypherSeer? :p

I heard from a birdie that the new album might be available there as well... ;)

I've heard both new releases ares happening soon...... I need to grab both.....what are the release dates?

Can't wait to hear it (and see the band live very soon)! :)