Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

I sadly have yet to hear the new one. The vocalist change could be a good or a bad thing.

Dark Passion PLay is *amazing*. Toumas wrote some of their best tunes ever for thus, IMHO. Annette is no Tarja, but that's necessarily a bad thing. She's a great vocalist, but with a different style.

Chris

See while I liked the music and respected Tarja (I now I'm going to get flamed for this) I didnt care much for the sound of her voice. So as long as the new one has some skill and a good sounding voice I think the band will grow and change for the better.

I agree with Chris - this album is phenominal (got my vote for best album of 2007). The new singer is a completely different sound than Tarja but the music is still classic Nightwish... and Holopainen is at the top of his game on this one. I have never been so assaulted (in a good way) by such a massive wall of sound... it is an experience listening to this album! The new singer gives them more of a pop sound (which isn't bad) than a "gothic metal" sound which I find interesting since they were such an inspiration to many of the top gothic metal bands (like my personal favorite Epica). I was also very pleased to see such a strong presence by Marco both in songwriting and vocals. I have always loved his voice, which manages to be both beautiful and manly at the same time. This album has everything, from their signature epic length soundtrack-like songs, to radio-friendly hits, even an instrumental that sounds a little like bluegrass gone metal.

Interesting tidbit about this album - their use of the London Philharmonic made this the most expensive record ever to come out of Finland. It was worth the money though - there is nothing like a real orchestra backing up a metal band!

If you haven't picked up this album yet, don't wait another day!!!

Howdy neighbor! I was just noticing where you were from too!

I can only imagine how awesome the 5.1 is, but I have a friend who picked it up and said it was totally worth the $38 he paid (I think he ordered directly through Nightwish's web shop). I'm sure if Ken were to get a stock of this, he could do us better than $38 though! hint hint ;)

Yeah, I looked at it on the Spinefarm site and the currency conversion came out to "an arm and a leg", but man, I am sooooooo tempted.

Chris
np: Opeth- Ghost Reveries

Looks like you guys have a little Northwest love connection going on. :lol:

Spinefarm is insanely expensive. They are in the process of setting up US distro so perhaps I can figure out a way to get some copies. I'll work on it.

Looks like you guys have a little Northwest love connection going on. :lol:

Spinefarm is insanely expensive. They are in the process of setting up US distro so perhaps I can figure out a way to get some copies. I'll work on it.

We'll add you to the love connection if you do :). Keep us posted.

Thanks Ken.

Chris
sp: Opeth- Ghost Reveries

I don't suppose the band will be selling the 5.1 disc on their tour... probably not if they don't have a US distribution in place for it. We'll see I guess - Sept 9 at the Showbox in Seattle... I'll be there!

btw - Ghost Reveries... probably my favorite Opeth album (although the new one is a close call). LOL I guess there IS a NW love connection going on... ;)