Nightwish Vocalist Leaves Stage In Tears

"Speaking to O Povo Online about the incident, Tuomas said, "[Anette] freaked out because she couldn't handle the different mannerisms of the fans here. There were a lot of people screaming the former vocalist's name, making obscene gestures (with the middle finger). Normally she can shake that stuff off, she has good self-esteem, but it's been hard to deal with the fans and the critics. I guess it was a sudden breakdown; she just... lost her mind for a second. It's kind of scary, and we all feel for her and understand what she is going through. We hope she can put her mind at ease and make the rest of the shows. So far it's been fine; she's feeling much better."

-blabbermouth.net

i could go on a rant, but i think id be preaching to the choir. this is lame

Dear Tuomas,

It's not called "losing your mind", it's called PMS. :p

Love, Meep17

True professionals don't walk out in the middle of a concert for anything other than serious injuries (like ankle snapping, burned by flashpots, feinting, etc). I don't blame Anette as much as I do Nightwish themselves. In replacing Tarja, they went with a talent that had very little professional singing experience. Nightwish is a hugely popular band that tends to tour for long stretches of time. In my opinion they should have went with someone that had proven longevity and experience in extensive touring. Someone they could trust not to crack under the pressure.

From what I know Anette had alot of proffesional singing experience. She used to sing "dansband". A pretty unique swedish style of music. Very, very cheesy and easy to dance to, not disco dance but traditional style dancing. But that means only touring in Sweden pretty much.

We still dont know why she left the stage. If it had to do with her vocals (that she couldnt perform) then thats ok with me. Otherwise she should have sucked it up really.

I also dont get the Tarja praise. Most of the time she sounded like she had something stuck up her ass. I dont mind operatic style vocals but I didnt think her vocals were anything special at all. But then again I dont really think Nightwish as a band is worth much ogf my time either...

From what I know Anette had alot of proffesional singing experience. She used to sing "dansband". A pretty unique swedish style of music. Very, very cheesy and easy to dance to, not disco dance but traditional style dancing. But that means only touring in Sweden pretty much.

We still dont know why she left the stage. If it had to do with her vocals (that she couldnt perform) then thats ok with me. Otherwise she should have sucked it up really.

I also dont get the Tarja praise. Most of the time she sounded like she had something stuck up her ass. I dont mind operatic style vocals but I didnt think her vocals were anything special at all. But then again I dont really think Nightwish as a band is worth much ogf my time either...

Singing professionally and having experience in extensive touring are two very different things. They've been on tour for over a year now and I think Anette couldn't handle the pressure.

As for Tarja's singing, she is Godly in my opinion. That's what drew me to Nightwish from the beginning. Her vocals were beautiful and unique and made that band stand out among their peers.

As for Tarja's singing, she is Godly in my opinion. That's what drew me to Nightwish from the beginning. Her vocals were beautiful and unique and made that band stand out among their peers.

I agree totally, it was the same for me. I was listening to "Wishmaster" a couple of days ago and it saddens me that the band lost it IMO, and they lost it by the time of "Once" (Tarja's voice is not the same anymore), and frankly Annette didn't add anything that draw me again to the band.

I actually like both singers, even though they're totally different. It's just that from what I've heard, Annette can't really cover the Tarja songs all that well. Which makes sense, seeing as Annette is far from being an opera singer.

I actually like both singers, even though they're totally different. It's just that from what I've heard, Annette can't really cover the Tarja songs all that well. Which makes sense, seeing as Annette is far from being an opera singer.

But correct me if Im wrong but the last few albums with Tarja had very little opera style singing. I only actually own Century Child but I dont remember any opera style vocals really so the band moved away from that way before Tarja was kicked out.

But correct me if Im wrong but the last few albums with Tarja had very little opera style singing. I only actually own Century Child but I dont remember any opera style vocals really so the band moved away from that way before Tarja was kicked out.

Absolutely. I started with "Angels Fall First" and I listened to the change from "Wishmaster" vocals to "Century Child" that then become abysmal for "Once". I had the latter for a while and eventualy trade it. As I stated before it's Tuomas band and he had made the changes he feel suits him, none I like it. The fact that he didn't look for another soprano after Tarja was kicked out is the proof that he wanted a change of direction before the Tarja affair.

tarja was awesome...loved her. still do. she is a great vocalist. even when they veered away from the operatic with her, she still sounded great and kept her roots IMO.

anette doesnt do anything for me, it sounds to bland...and frankly, i still firmly believe she doesnt hit alot of notes off previous albums. ive seen them live only with anette, but even in videos, like dark chest of wonders, especially the chorus, its just got there. its like shes struggling...idk.

i will say i love the song "the islander" off the latest album though...even though it probably features the least of her out of all the songs.

some of the music is still cool...though it just lost its edge for me to say it bluntly.

but yea...im saddened they lost tarja, and even more-so that i never got to see them with her. damn

True, but even the stuff she was doing on Century Child and Once is more operatic sounding in tone than Annette's voice! :p