NY metal fans - need some suggestions!

Abba

Nov 5, 2002
chicago
Visit site
I am surprising my wife with a long weekend to New York City next weekend, including seeing Blackmore's Night next Thursday in NYC. I am hoping that someone can recommend a couple of cool independent record stores to visit (preferably ones that carry "live" material).

I'd also welcome any suggestions of sights (can be "tourist" ones or off the beaten path), restaurants, nightlife, etc. to check out. We'll be in Manhatten, and probably won't spend a heck of a lot of time outdoors if it's as cold as it is in Chicago right now!

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Abba said:
I am surprising my wife with a long weekend to New York City next weekend, including seeing Blackmore's Night next Thursday in NYC. I am hoping that someone can recommend a couple of cool independent record stores to visit (preferably ones that carry "live" material).
If you're going to be passing through NJ at some point, than Vintage Vinyl is a must. It's probably the best Metal store in the US.

Zod

I'll fourth this. BenMech kindly dragged me to Vintage Vinyl when I was up there for Dead Can Dance at Radio City fuckin' Music Hall, and I thought I might never leave. I apparently left my wallet behind. :D

Very cool dude. I surprised my wife with a long weekend for her 40th Birthday. Of course, we live just outside NYC in NJ.

Yeah, too bad you aren't catching Blackmore's Night the next day (the show I am going to). Vintage Vinyl would have been pretty much on the way to the show.

Get there for sure. And pick up Overlorde's CD while you are there!

There is a place in Queens I heard of. Metal Kingdom Records. I have never been there. Here is the link. Drop them an e-mail in advance:

http://www.metalkingdomrecords.com/pages/1/index.htm

I strongly suggest checking out Generation Records in Greenwich Village, the best independent store in NYC (overall, not just metalwise) by my estimation. If by live material you mean bootlegs, check out some of the stores on Bleecker Street.

I appreciate all the help. I'll do my best to check out Vintage Vinyl; it sounds like a killer store.

Demonspell: We'll be near Greenwich Village, so I'll check out that store you recommended. Also, yes, I was referring to bootlegs. Is Bleecker street in the Greenwich Village area as well?

Pat

Looking at VV's website, it looks like their prices are pretty good, too.

btw, this inspired to start a new thread about independent record stores...