O/T: Iron Maiden/Dio/Motorhead in Columbus 08/09

TD

HAS INTEGRITY
Unfriggin' Real: at exactly 8:25 Ronnie James pointed at me and said "when you listen to fools: the Mob Rules!!

Ok, he was just pointing in the general vicinity of me, and I'm kinda glad that he didn't point right at me, 'cause he is liable to cast a spell on me. Dio lives in a castle and chases dragons and jumps on tiigers and the song Mob Rules is like an NBC PSA "play with fire, you'll burn your fingers." I wonder if he has a crystal ball on his tour bus??

Motorhead came on at 6:55 (the ticket said 7, should I be able to get a partial refund??) They played "We Are Motorhead" "R.A.M.O.N.E.S." which was cool, and some others (Overkill and Ace of Spades of course) They literally only had like 2 feet of stage space, and the crowd was still awfully then. Those that got there early seemed to dig them though. A half hour of Lemmy was enough for me.

Next up was the man Iommi needs to re-hire. DIO kicked ass. He sounds and looks awfully good for 61. He played Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell, Killing the Dragon, Rock and Roll, Rainbow in the Dark, Last in Line, Stand up and Shout, Holy DIver and some others. The highlight was Mob Rules. At one point he had single red light shining unnder him, and he looked EVIL :devil: The sun was setting as he played and the place was pretty well full (the pavillion part that is, the lawn was pretty sparse) the crowd loved Dio, and he looked very very happy. Dio was a good choice to open, he has a lot of well known singles, something that even the headliner doesn't have. Oh yeah, did I mention Dio played mob Rules. Dio also broke the code of opening bands, and did full on arena show headliner drum and guitar solos. Hell, the drum solo was 3 songs into the set.

Next up Maiden. AWESOME. Intense, classic set list. Great stage. Nothing I type can describe how cool this tour is. I'll let Justin post the set list. I was in awe the whole night.

Justin came over and talked to me for a minute, so that was cool.

All in all, it was the best 3 band bill ever.

I just posted this on the UM Maiden board, so I'll post it here too:

same setlist as other shows on the tour:
The Number Of The Beast
The Trooper
Die With Your Boots On
Revelations
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Wildest Dreams
The Wicker Man
The Clansman
The Clairvoyant
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
2 Minutes To Midnight
Run To The Hills

some comments: awesome show. I was sad it was so short, but I was prepared for that. I really enjoyed it but with limited amount of time to hammer out the Maiden classics, I'd rather see Clansman dropped in favor of something from SIT (like Caught...) or Killers. Aces High and one other song would also be an option. [I shouldn't bitch though.]

Bruce ranted about how reserved seating sucks ass. He's right. General admission rules. Place wasn't sold out but it's amazing to see a band without an album to support yet, no radio or video play, playing such a large audience.

Also, if Bruce is serious about not caring if people put up the show on the internet to "share," then the band should just allow taping at the shows. RIGHT?

-------------

Addendum to my Maiden board post:

I think Motorhead played "Shoot You In the Back." I know they played "Sacrifice" and "Killed By Death."

I'm not huge into Dio but I was really impressed. I got goose bumps during "Heaven and Hell." I absolutely love that song. I'll go buy something of his tomorrow if my head is okay.

Bruce is a fucking wild animal on stage. I want some of what he's on.

King Eddie came out during "The Clairvoyant." He rocks. He should eat Janick. I was kind of hoping Janick would take himself out when he tossed his guitar in the air after "Iron Maiden."

sound like a killer show,not really a fan of those 3 bands but one things for sure,these oldschool bands put on one hell of a live show,these newbies have alot to learn!

ty it sound like u have seen more shows in the last couple of months than i have seen in the last 5 years lol

i emailed charlie again and he did say they were trying really hard to make a tour downunder,they did say they were hitting japan again for a proper tour so if they dont tour then its never gonna happen i guess!

fingered crossed.

Dude, you are in the show of your life. I'm telling ya, this years Maiden show is right up there with some of the best KISS or AC/DC shows I've seen. Throw in the balding elf sorcerer castle living in guy DIO, and you got something. It's ok to miss Motorhead, there schtick just doesn't work outdoors with the blazing sun while in a 3/4's empty ampitheater.

TD said:
Dude, you are in the show of your life. I'm telling ya, this years Maiden show is right up there with some of the best KISS or AC/DC shows I've seen. Throw in the balding elf sorcerer castle living in guy DIO, and you got something. It's ok to miss Motorhead, there schtick just doesn't work outdoors with the blazing sun while in a 3/4's empty ampitheater.

Dio's still got the pipes, but I kind of think his D&D schtick is old. I do agree that Motorhead in the day light is a bit odd. Unfortunately, most people there (outside of me, fifty people, and the Hell's Angels) don't get Motorhead. I saw a guy at Jones Beach complaining it was too loud and motioning to "turn it down." Then there were two pumpkin heads in front of me, one in a Hammered tour shirt, the other in an Overnight Sensation shirt just sitting there half mouthing words to songs they didn't know, but then when Ace of Spades hit, they were pumping their fists. Posers. I wanted to slap the mullets of their overgrown craniums.

Lets hope Steve Harris gets smart and asks Anthrax to step out onto the ballroom floor for the "Dance of Death." Okay, horrible pun, but how awesome would Maiden, Anthrax, and Priest be?!?!?!?!??!

I was late heard Motorheads last two songs on the walk in and the freaking half hour wait to get through the line to get in. It was my first time at the Polaris so I didn't know about all the beer on the one side (east)? So I waited in freakin beer line for like 25 minutes paid 16 bucks for two bud lights. I walk to the side and see a micro brew booth and a booth that sells Dead Guy Ale. 5.75 a bottle. But fuck it, its good and I go to shows to have a good time. After the two buds and and about 5 Dead Guys I was crocked. And about 50 dollars lighter in the pocket. The Dio show was cool. At least he didn't play the entire Magica album. I would have rather heard a couple of other songs rather thatn two solos but what ya gonna do? Maiden ruled all. Great show. But like jdelphi said they could drop the clansman and play any number of other songs.
Great show. But the best triple bill ever in my opinion was White Zombie, Pantera and Megadeth. That was awesome.

I was at the Megadeth/Pantera/White Zombie show. Way back in 1993 at Hara. In fact, I remember Rob mentioning to the crowd that they'd be back real soon with Anthrax...............lets' do the time warp again.............

P.S. most concerts at Polaris they don't frisk quite as much, but since it was a, god forbid, a METAL concert, they were on it. I hate Polaris btw.

TD said:
I was at the Megadeth/Pantera/White Zombie show. Way back in 1993 at Hara. In fact, I remember Rob mentioning to the crowd that they'd be back real soon with Anthrax...............lets' do the time warp again.............

P.S. most concerts at Polaris they don't frisk quite as much, but since it was a, god forbid, a METAL concert, they were on it. I hate Polaris btw.

I know someone who got a video camera in :wave: (The video will be shit though. The audio should be okay.)

same setlist as other shows on the tour:
The Number Of The Beast
The Trooper
Die With Your Boots On
Revelations
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Wildest Dreams
The Wicker Man
The Clansman
The Clairvoyant
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
2 Minutes To Midnight
Run To The Hills

I saw them recently and I have to say they were pretty weak. I think the biggest problem to me is that they played nothing from the best Maiden album, Killers. How can such a classic record be ignored in favor of some of the other crap on that setlist. They also played "Heaven Can Wait" when I saw them which is one of the worst songs from Somewhere In Time. If they want to play something from that record, it should be "Caught Somewhere In Time" or "Stranger In A Strange Land". And to leave out "Aces High"???? One of the classic opening numbers from one of the best live albums of all time? This setlist is the WORST!!!

Saw Dio and Motorhead recently and they both ripped! But Maiden definitely blew...

Jeff

Bag Jr. said:
I saw them recently and I have to say they were pretty weak. I think the biggest problem to me is that they played nothing from the best Maiden album, Killers. How can such a classic record be ignored in favor of some of the other crap on that setlist. They also played "Heaven Can Wait" when I saw them which is one of the worst songs from Somewhere In Time. If they want to play something from that record, it should be "Caught Somewhere In Time" or "Stranger In A Strange Land". And to leave out "Aces High"???? One of the classic opening numbers from one of the best live albums of all time? This setlist is the WORST!!!

Saw Dio and Motorhead recently and they both ripped! But Maiden definitely blew...

Jeff

I feel your pain. I wish something from Killers (and not "Wrathchild") was in the set. "Killers" or "Murders in the Rue Morgue" would be cool. (I'd prefer "Purgatory," but that's a pipe dream, I know. Even though they sell t-shirts for it.) If they drop "The Clansman" they could play both "Aces High" and a song from Killers to replace it. Of course, I'd also add another 20 mins to the set. :D

Bag Jr. said:

Jeff

Addendum: They should only do "Stranger in a Strange Land" if Bruce will toss around a mic stand like he does in the music video.

Saw the show last night and it KICKED ASS!!!! I missed most of Motorhead's set because we thought the show started at 7, not 6:30. Dio was his ol' elf-like self. I dug him doing Mob Rules. But, man, Dio's even uglier in person. Maiden fucking rocked!!! Someone forgot to tell Bruce that he's not 18 anymore cuz he was jumping all over the stage (and he got some height on those jumps). The new song sounded great...can't wait until September. My only complaint is that the giant Eddie at the end should've shot lasers from his eyes. Oh well.

that's a real short set they played, nothing from "somewhere" and "madness", set was longer in Holland , about 2 hours, at one moment Janick was almost strangled by his guitar and a roadie had to free the MAdman, he rules!!!