ProgPower USA XII: Days One & Two (press review)

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
posted Sep 17 2011 at 12:45 PM by Progressivity_In_All.

Friday began early in the day for the ProgPower crowd when US-based Creation’s End took the stage at around 2:40. Italian Guitarist Marco Sfogli got the crowd warmed up with some serious movement on his fretboard. Rhythm guitarist Rudy Albert and bassist Joe Black pulled on their best game faces for the early crowd. Vocalist Mike DiMeo had a nice stage presence and belted it out there. The set was a bit short, but as an opener, it had to be. Nevertheless, the band opened the day well without a hitch.

After the band wrapped its set, the reunited US band Sanctuary, featuring Warrell Dane and Jim Sheppard from Nevermore, was immediately in the lobby for a signing. Unfortunately, the band schedule and the signing schedule (both published in the very cool ProgPower program book given to attendees) did not see eye to eye. The bands reached a half-hour to forty-five minutes behind schedule throughout the day, so the signing sessions often took place during a band’s set. This made for tough decisions like: “Do I stay through the end of Voyager’s set or do I go get Ihsahn’s autograph?”

Darkwater had taken the stage shortly after. The Swedish group was well-received and performed their variety of progressive melodic metal to a crowd that obviously appreciated, judging by their reaction to Evergrey the night before. The band had an aesthetic that begged to be watched closely as the purple lights fell on them for certain songs. Just after, I met with Red Circuit’s keyboardist, Marcus Teske, for an interview in the adjacent club, Vinyl. For the ProgPower show, Vinyl was converted into a merchandise room with everything a progressive fan could want. I was to go broke a few hours later because of this.

Australia’s Voyager, a crowd favorite, took the stage at around 5:20. There were some seriously infectious grooves in this set. Unfortunately, I had to head out halfway through their set due to a previously scheduled interview time. Nevertheless, the guys of Creation’s End were cool and revealed that their next album was already written and was just awaiting the recording process. In the dressing room beneath the stage, we could hear Voyager blaze through a cover song montage that included AC/DC, Rage Against the Machine, and Van Halen while we laughed at how awesome and legit it sounded.

Eldritch, from Italy, took the stage next and gave the crowd a heaping helping of their “El Nino” album, as well as several songs from other albums. If any of the bands on this ProgPower bill was a miss, the crowd didn’t show it. Eldritch loved the response and gave a shred-filled performance.

Germany’s Mob Rules was up next, and vocalist Klaus Dirks was to be the most exciting performer of the night. He had the crowd on the back of his thumb the entire time, riling them up and flying around the stage like Bruce Dickinson. The band had all of the pit and much of the seated audience giving them a standing ovation at the end. In their 17 years as a band, they don’t seem to have lost a single bit of energy.

After the set, I had gone out to a local Mexican restaurant to get some dinner and ended up running into Ty, the drummer for US-based band Artizan, who noted that the band is working on a US tour. The day before, I had run into UK band Haken, who was on the prowl looking for a place to get some steak for dinner. They ended up going with Mexican food and drinking down at Tap, a UK-style gastropub. By this time, all the bands were mingling with the fans and drinking up.

Coming back to Center Stage, the crowd had sensed it was time for Norway’s Ihsahn to make his North American debut for his solo project. Fans piled in and crowded the pit area as sound check went on longer than normal. The curtain was lifted and the black-clad former Emperor mainman was revealed with his backing band, Leprous. The crowd roared and “The Barren Lands” opened the setlist. Over the next hour or so, we were treated to “A Grave Inversed,” “Scarab,” “Misanthrope,” “Unhealer,” “Emancipation,” “Invocation,” “Called by the Fire,” and “Citizen.” As a bonus, the band threw two Emperor songs into the set – “Tongue of Fire” and “Thus Spake the Nightspirit.”

During the set, the crowd was chanting, “Holy shit! Holy shit!” Obviously, it went well. Leprous performed extremely well, considering that Ihsahn’s music is not easy by any stretch of the word. This was the only band of the evening to feature blast beats in a progressive framework. Sanctuary was up next, and it was going to be a long night. The band didn’t take the stage until after midnight. The band blazed through red-hot tracks from their three albums as vocalist Warrell Dane pushed his voice up in his falsetto range. Warrell noted several times that “this shit’s not easy to sing!” The band ripped guitar solo after guitar solo. Several stupid fans were hustling them to play Nevermore songs, to which Warrell responded “Oh, shut up.”

Neck muscles sufficiently sore from headbanging, the crowd was treated to rest time and a video preview of the bands for next year’s ProgPower USA XIII. You, however, will have to wait until ProgPower organizer Glenn Harveston makes that announcement to the rest of the world on his terms. What I can say is be prepared for an ass-kicking!

The heart of ProgPower beats in a 7/8 time signature.

posted Sep182011 at 7:51 PM by Progressivity_In_All.

If you attend Progpower, make sure you opt for the VIP gold badge over the regular. This will get you in to the “Insider Sale” where you will be able to purchase CDs of all of the bands that will be playing at next year’s festival. Gold badge attendees this year were treated to this sale in the vendor room long before the doors opened to regular attendees. Among the CDs on sale were some albums that previously had not received a US distribution.

When the doors finally opened, everyone was eager to get in and out of the bright Atlanta sun for another twelve hours. Being such an exclusive event, you could instantly strike up a conversation with any stranger you meet and be on the same page. With social barriers down, everyone was talking with everyone, discussing albums, bands, and previous ProgPower festivals.

UK-based progressive-symphonic band Haken was first up for the day, though the place was only half full about ten minutes before the band’s set. Clearly, the after-parties of the night before had been great. The venue eventually filled up in time for Haken’s second song. It was to be an exciting set, although a bit short. Seeing guitarists Richard Henshall and Charles Griffiths, as well as keyboardist Diego Tejeida rip some masterful solos did the trick on kicking hangovers from the night before.

Just like on Friday, there were signing sessions with all of the bands. However, also just like Friday, the sets ran behind on time. This forced the signing sessions to end up taking place during sets rather than in-between them, which was a real problem. Technical setbacks are nothing new for live shows, and this was the only real problem observed with the operation of the festival this year. Not bad. After Haken’s set, I was able to grab an interview with Ihsahn’s backing band, Leprous, who elaborated on their own music.

The second band of the day was US-based While Heaven Wept. There was a section of pretty devoted fans down in the pit for this set, and the band seemed to give them exactly what they wanted. The doomy keyboard onslaught was a nice contrast to Haken. The rhythm section was not as tight as expected, but the energy was there. It was a nice set, during which I had to cut out to interview several members of Haken. In their interview, I got the scoop on the concept behind the new record, “Visions.”

German-based (but multi-national band) Red Circuit was up next, marking their debut performance in the US. With the shredding talents of Christian Moser, tremendous vocals of veteran singer Chitral “Chity” Somapala, and keyboards of Marcus Teske, the band could’ve pleased the crowd just by playing tracks off of their first record, “Trance State.” The band played a nice set list with songs from “Homeland” as well as a new song, making for the 3rd great performance this weekend by a German band. Chity also bore a striking resemblance to the late Ronnie James Dio, with his mannerisms and stature.

Labyrinth was next in line to wow the crowd, and the Italians took the stage to a thunderous audience thirsty for shred and vocal theatrics. There are vocalists that can push their voice into their falsetto, but then there is Roberto Tiranti (aka Rob Tyrant.) Just when you’d think Rob was at the top of his range, he’d go another three to five steps above it. Olaf Thorsen and Anders Rain brought a twin-guitar firestorm, shredding arpeggios and tapped solos all over the place while the band pounded away.

Forbidden was next, kicked off by metal titan Gene Hoglan (Death, Fear Factory, Strapping Young Lad) on drums. There was no way to tell that this band had been formed back in 1985, as the band breathed life into their classics as well as songs from 2010’s “Omega Wave.” Steve Smyth (ex-Nevermore) and Craig Locicero ripped solos like it was going out of style throughout the bombastic set as vocalist Russ Anderson got us riled up with shout-alongs.

Lastly, the Swedes of Therion closed out the night, pushing the festival again to an end time of around 2:30 am. A great choice for a headlining act, Therion opened with “Sitra Ahra” and commenced a setlist spanning several albums of material. For this era of Therion, a new member was added in Linnea Vikström, the angelic-looking daughter of Therion vocalist Thomas Vikström. The band has a flair for stage outfits, which were in full effect. Vocalist Snowy Shaw, capable of a thousand voices, was beastly.

The band noted that they had almost decided not to play the US ever again, but that the circumstances were right to play ProgPower and the band was very thankful for the huge crowd response, which drove them to play a few songs beyond their hour-and-a-half set. They wrapped up with “Quetzalcoatl” and left our ears ringing for the night. It's also worth noting that attendees nearly didn't get to see Therion play, due to an accident where guitarist Christian Vidal was rushed to a hospital. What a festival. It was almost a religious experience, with Center Stage as our Mecca.

Below is a picture of myself and the festival organizer, Glenn Harveston.

6160343243_7c90914fe2.jpg

They do have 3 albums!!!! Only 2 in studio, but 3 albums if you want to get technical!!!

Actually, if you want to get technical, they have only 2 albums. Demo, RD, the split with fifth angel (which is NOT an album, it's a few songs and a couple of "interviews", the songs are all off of RD), ITMB, and finally Into The Mirror Live/Black Reflections that was a promo that was never for sale. It was promotional material only. So, Matt had a point, but as is par for the course with any response that he's made in a thread today (regardless of my agreeing or disagreeing with him), he was shot down for simply opening his mouth. I disagree for the most part with his other posts today, but just attacking him here because he brought up something that is true, that's just uncalled for. There has been more than enough tar and feathering for one night, I think.

Brent

So, Matt had a point, but as is par for the course with any response that he's made in a thread today (regardless of my agreeing or disagreeing with him), he was shot down for simply opening his mouth. I disagree for the most part with his other posts today, but just attacking him here because he brought up something that is true, that's just uncalled for. There has been more than enough tar and feathering for one night, I think.

Brent

Every post he made in a thread yesterday was negative for minuscule reasons and generally worded in an insulting way. Ie. "yeah, you might want to correct that story" instead of "hey, I think Sanctuary only had 2 albums man! good story otherwise". Shitting on everyone's favorite moments a day or two after they happens makes him a douche bag. Or a prick, as Jen has made be the recurring theme.

I don't remember the insider sale being for gold badge attendees only (I slept in and missed it). Is that true?

GB holders and sponsors were allowed entry 2 hours earlier on Saturday; noon instead of 2pm.

ps- you rock!!

~Jen

BWBK's Mark Gromen review:

The Metal World Comes To Atlanta, Day 1

"It might be the twelfth edition of ProgPower USA, but some are just becoming acquainted with the multi-day event in downtown Atlanta. Even though this was close to a sellout, attendance was noticeably selective, apparently too many newcomers only entering the venue when the particular band(s) they wanted to see are on, thereby foregoing much of the festival experience. Shame, as it really strives to capture the European flavor of comraderie, signing sessions and all things beyond any one particular act. Kind of cool seeing younger fans in AMORPHIS Karelian Isthmus or CORONER t-shirts... "

The Metal World Comes To Atlanta, Day 2

"After a late night and the cumulative effects of multiple days of partying, some are showing signs of wear, but the final day of the 2011 ProgPower USA festival promised to be special, despite a fantastic introduction, highlighted by VOYAGER, former EMPEROR frontman/guitarist Ihsahn and the resurrected SANCTUARY. Personally, I held out hope for great things from WHILE HEAVEN WEPT, rare opportunity to see LABYRINTH, some Bay Area thrash, courtesy of FORBIDDEN and what probably will be the last experience with THERION on these shores (unless Glenn Harveston brings them back to PPUSA at some future date). Day two began with an ambulance at the doors of Center Stage Live. Apparently Therion guitarist Christian Vidal tried to jump back onstage, guitar in-hand, during soundcheck. He didn't make it, cutting his head open on the barricade rail. A concussion foggy memory and stitches at a nearby hospital, it was time to rock n roll. The show must go on...! "