RAY ALDER: What The Water Wants

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
FATES WARNING Vocalist RAY ALDER Signs Worldwide Solo Deal With InsideOutMusic; Debut Album Out In October; First Single Streaming

"...Ray Alder’s first solo album for the label is entitled What The Water Wants, and includes 10 melodic and versatile songs created with assistance from guitarists Mike Abdow (Fates Warning touring member) and Tony Hernando (Lords Of Black) as well as drummer Craig Anderson (Ignite, Crescent Shield). The album was mixed by Simone Mularoni (Rhapsody, Michael Romeo, DGM) and will be released worldwide on October 18...."

aldercd819.png

Reactions: EricC
I really like these two songs. Great vocal melodies from Ray.

Picked this one up as I had read good things about it. Did not know what to expect as I am not a fan of Fates Warning but Redemption I do like. One thing I have always liked was Ray Adler's voice. This solo disc is not like Redemption at all. Much slower and more laid back. This album is moody and to me has a darker feel to it. The music is on the slower side with emphasis on Ray's voice. This is a good thing. Ray sounds fantastic on this disc. He stays in his comfort zone with nothing strained. His voice is in fine form here. Production is nice and thick here. Overall - this is not my thing but hats off to Ray as he sounds fantastic. If you are a fan of Ray - this one is worth getting.

Since brother Ray will be playing at our next ProgPower it only seemed fitting we have a thread for his solo album that he released back in October 2019. Couldn't find a thread, so here we go. Here are a few reviews.

"In creating ‘What The Water Wants’, Alder has been joined by guitarists Mike Abdow (touring guitarist for Fates Warning) and Tony Hernando (Lords of Black) alongside drummer Craig Anderson (Ignite). Interestingly, rather than recruit a bespoke bassist, both guitarists decided to handle the four-string duties for the songs to which they contributed most. According to the accompanying press release, the songs were created initially by Abdow and Hernando, with Alder then adding his vocals and melodies to the framework. It is an approach that really has worked because the final finished article is very good indeed."

Ray Alder – What The Water Wants – Album Review

"These collections of 9 songs bring out the vocal spectrum of one of the most recognizable and long standing prog metal vocalists over the last 30 years. Simone Mularoni (DGM, Sweet Oblivion) brings his sound engineering expertise to the mix which delivers the usual clear, clean and distinctive style which allows the heaviness and power of the instrumentation be in perfect balance with Alders iconic voice."

Ray Alder – What the Water Wants (Album Review)

"Indeed, where you expect a sense of confidence and triumph, what we are given is actually an album laden with thoughtful reflection and almost introspective emotion. It is not until we reach Shine, track 4, that we return to anything like full-blown progressive metal. Crunching opening guitars are precise, aggressive and spectacularly menacing; the music segues into passages which carry unapologetic djent signatures and influences. But here again, all is not what it seems. The underlying heaviness is, in fact, a support mechanism to deliver a wonderfully melodic vocal that soars above and stands in contrast to the riffing carnage, a tranquil melody adding the full stop to tumultuous guitar-laden seas."

Ray Alder – What the Water Wants

Ray Alder - Crown of Thorns

Ray Alder - What the Water Wanted