Top three vocal duos

Walter_Langkowski

Neuroses Facilitator
I've been listening to a lot of stuff lately that basically you would call old (or "Old School", as I'm fond of saying), and I've been noticing that a lot of the current stuff is lacking variety in the vocal department. Of course, I wouldn't say that this is a problem from the lead singers area, as with the studio department there always lies the ability to mix up multiple vocal recordings from the same person, often creating large harmonies, but all originating from one person. This is perfectly fine in the studio environment (and often quite impressive sounding), but when these songs are played in the live setting, they end up sounding like they are missing something. So, I pose the question, who are your top three vocal tandems LIVE, in example, listing your lead vocalist first, then naming a guitar/drum/keyboard/or bass player who would do backing vocals/harmonize with the lead. List the band, players, and years that you had in mind. Mine would be:

3. Deep Purple, 1974-1975. David Coverdale, lead vocals. Glen Hughes, bass. Great backing harmonies, as well as interesting lead vocal switchoffs in a blues/hard rock way.
2. Queensryche, 1983-1997. Geoff Tate, lead vocals. Chris DeGarmo, lead guitar. One of the best lead vocalists ever combined with a more than capable partner on guitar. Vocal harmonies are never seemed to be mentioned when talking about this band.
1. Dokken, 1984-1999. Don Dokken, lead vocals. Jeff Pilson, bass. The best of the 80's Hair hardrockers, Dokken had great songwriting, awesome lead guitar fireworks from George Lynch, and two amazing vocalists in D.D. and Pilson. Unbelievable singalong shit from these guys!

Bust out your lists! New, or Old School! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

YtseJammer said:
Vanden Plas (Kuntz and crew sound AMAZING together)
Pain of Salvation (12:5!!!!)
That was absolutely the most brilliant harmony vocals I have ever heard. Kuntz, Lill and Werno sounded like they were playing the freaking CD at PP IV. I was in awe.

Bryant

I'll tell ya, if you want to talk oldschool, it's hard to beat Accept. They had those HUGE gang vocals and sounded like a Nazi platoon marching at you. While I prefer the more lush harmony style, Accept pretty much perfected that style and you hardly ever hear that anymore.

Bryant