Why Ayreon, Avantasia, etc will never happen here...

Do you really think Cliff would jam with these morons?

Zod
--------------

LOL yeah I know what you mean. He probably does a few 360's in his Grave Daily for the association to what has become Metallica.

Ayreon/Avantasia will probably never happen in the states.

That being said..... WHO CARES!

I think people are way too pumped up on the idea of 'wow, they got all these big name artists, therefore it must be the best!' No one watches our all star teams in the Olympics, and there is a reason: the huge assemblies are simply not as tight and dynamic as the groups that are groups of themselves for good reason.

A LOT of Ayreon writing is really kindof dull. It's as if written with restrictions in mind. For the most part Arjen cranks out a few good tunes an album and the rest is dull or trying to hard to satisfy different talents.

Avantasia is interesting, but very similar to Ayreon. A few cool tunes an album but too much focus on the personell and concept rather than actually pumping out good tunes.

Bands are bands for a reason guys, and these extravagant projects are just like an all star game. Flashy and gimiky but dull after 3 innings.

SyXified said:
Ayreon/Avantasia will probably never happen in the states.

That being said..... WHO CARES!

I think people are way too pumped up on the idea of 'wow, they got all these big name artists, therefore it must be the best!' No one watches our all star teams in the Olympics, and there is a reason: the huge assemblies are simply not as tight and dynamic as the groups that are groups of themselves for good reason.

A LOT of Ayreon writing is really kindof dull. It's as if written with restrictions in mind. For the most part Arjen cranks out a few good tunes an album and the rest is dull or trying to hard to satisfy different talents.

Avantasia is interesting, but very similar to Ayreon. A few cool tunes an album but too much focus on the personell and concept rather than actually pumping out good tunes.

Bands are bands for a reason guys, and these extravagant projects are just like an all star game. Flashy and gimiky but dull after 3 innings.

Well.....I love Ayreon. I have to say that I think it might be better if Arjen had more musical knowledge, which is why I think BE is a better concept album, because of the "musical concept." I can see why you think it gets dull.....I think my favorite is Into The Electric Castle, and I don't know a single vocalist on it.

AngraRULES said:
Glenn, I just think some people have to think a little bit before saying that they expect some of these dream sideprojects to appear at ProgPower.... Seriously, I see a lot of people talking about Ayreon, Star One, Avantasia, Kiske with Helloween... come on, you guys are SMART, that's just impossible, everyone should have a minimum of common sense and realize all of those factors without Glenn even mentioning... Expecting to see Ayreon or Kiske with Helloween it's plain ludacris in my opinion!

Yeah, we're smart, but you have to realize what the forum is for, which is to discuss, speculate, debate, and to suggest. In your case, it must be to make yourself look good by going on what Glenn has said! For those of us not working in the business, Glenn's reasons were interesting and educational. You don't have to come up behind him to smack our hands! Maybe Angrarules should use some common sense next time......

edgeofthorns said:
Yeah, we're smart, but you have to realize what the forum is for, which is to discuss, speculate, debate, and to suggest. In your case, it must be to make yourself look good by going on what Glenn has said! For those of us not working in the business, Glenn's reasons were interesting and educational. You don't have to come up behind him to smack our hands! Maybe Angrarules should use some common sense next time......

uh. bud. we don't have to be in this business to know what glenn is talking about before he said it. this shit gets explained every year. and most of us have been here a while. he wasn't trying to make himself look good. don't flatter yourself. you've been registered one month, and i can guarantee you the people that have been here at least a year already know these kinds of things. it just takes a word from glenn to get it through some people's heads. these same situations come up every year. you'll find out if you stick around long enough

SoNofBitcH said:
uh. bud. we don't have to be in this business to know what glenn is talking about before he said it. this shit gets explained every year. and most of us have been here a while. he wasn't trying to make himself look good. don't flatter yourself. you've been registered one month, and i can guarantee you the people that have been here at least a year already know these kinds of things. it just takes a word from glenn to get it through some people's heads. these same situations come up every year. you'll find out if you stick around long enough

Congratulations, you're a long term member. I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with anything, but thanks for clearing that up. Personally, I still learned something out of Glenn's post. I'm flattered that you took out time to see how long I've been on the forum....thanks! :headbang:

edgeofthorns said:
Congratulations, you're a long term member. I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with anything, but thanks for clearing that up. Personally, I still learned something out of Glenn's post. I'm flattered that you took out time to see how long I've been on the forum....thanks! :headbang:

Congratulations, you're clueless. but you're right. i did take half a second out of my life to look over when you registered. silly me

DeathDevil said:
What about John Arch w/ Fates Warning? Did I miss something with that?

Yes, the part where Glenn said that Fates Warning is almost a zero possibility to play progpower. They've had an open invite ever since it started (iirc) and are never able to commit to the festival dates in anything remotely resembling enough time.

Ryan

Harvester said:
These type of one-off shows are simply not possible.

Now I can't even pretend anymore... :yell:
I know that it couldn't happen, but because it never will, it's fun to talk about it. I don't think anyone ~expected~ Glenn to pull of these miracles. I don't think any of us ~expect~ Glenn to do anything, let alone demand things from him. It's his show and he choses what bands to see. No problem. I'm already in debt to Glenn for taking one of the "Never Gonna Happen" bands by bringing Therion out this year! Sure Therion is much more feasable than these other bands, but I still never thought it would happen.

~Tammy Z~

Wow after seeing this toipic, I saw a lot fo stuff that are really just fantasia. Its good to dream, but the best part is to know that you are dreaming... I saw something like avantasia is not such a good thing... Have you seen the participations both cds have? I know some of you know this, but i know some of you dont, just for educational purposes
Instruments:
Henjo Richter (Gamma Ray, guitars), Markus Grosskopf (Helloween, bass), Alex Holzwarth (Rhapsody, drums), Frank Tischer (keyboards) Norman Meiritz (guitars), Jens Ludwig (Edguy, guitars), Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius, guitars), Eric Singer (Kiss, drums) Tobias Sammet (Edguy, orchestrations)

now vocals:
David Defeis (Virgin Steele), Andre Matos (ex-Angra), Rob Rock (Warrior), Ralf Zdiarstek, Oliver Hartmann (At Vance), Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray), Sharon Den Adel (Within Temptation), Bob Catley (Magnum) e Michael Kiske (ex-Helloween)

I hope you understand the quantity and quality of metal involved in these people.... and the ones dont, well..... no comment

another clarifying fact:
Iron Maiden and europe festival headliners charge fome 200,000 euros to 300,000 euros.... so that dividing by 900... its 200 euros just for maiden... so 300 dollars...
I know Lorcarock in Spain has 1,000,000 euros in budget for one day festival (9 bands) which is a lot, because 30,000 people are going... that is why we see the difference between festivals in europe and america

I dont want to sound offensive because is not what this forum is for, I just want you to know just how fucking hard is to bring these great bands!