Why Do We Have Schools?

Sex: M
Race / Nationality / Cultural Background: White American
Marital Status: Single
Do you have children?: No
- if "yes," what age and sex are they?: N/A
Why do we have schools?: Because parents are not equipped, nor do they have the time in their day, to instruct their children to the extent that they need to enter the job market. Simple as that. There isn't a parent alive with not only the subject knowledge but the capability to teach AND enough hours to educate their kids and earn an income themselves.

Sex: Male (and yes please)
Race / Nationality / Cultural Background: White
Marital Status: Single
Do you have children?: No
- if "yes," what age and sex are they?:
Why do we have schools?: Education is extremely important in the development of a human. One should never stop striving for more knowledge and information. At a young age, children have little cares in the world outside of what will happen in the next Dragonball Z episode, so forcing them to learn science, math, history, and literature will continue to increase their intellect, even though they may not use all these skills.

I'm curious why Marital and parental status matters. Wouldn't educational achievement be more useful? IE, tracking the disparity in positive and negative answers between more/less education.

Education, not schooling, is important, so I disagree with SGD's take in principle. Getting a job doesn't require school. School doesn't necessarily teach "job skills". The purpose of lower education was supposed to be to insure students had the building blocks of knowledge: The "3 Rs", throwing in some history and science to round it out. Higher education was to teach them how to think, not what to think. Unfortunately, and intentionally, these distinctions have all been erased in the pursuit of "job training", which is what had to happen if you were going to try and culturally "force" everyone through higher education. Of course that has failed miserably in completion: Very many start, not near as many finish, and whether they finish or not, are usually left with student debt.

We have schools for control and outsourcing of education. I don't think of them as schools. More like Indoc, as in Indoctrination Centers. The internet has made a lot of the non-STEM stuff redundant, if people had any initiative whatsoever. An Amazon account and a literary, language, or history buff forum would yield greater benefit and much more cheaply (no offense to all those aspiring Humanities profs). I have yet to be truly impressed with a college class. Maybe that's just the nature of Community College, but I've had a couple of my professors tell me not to expect any great leap at university, merely that the subject matter will be more focused.

Sex: M
Race / Nationality / Cultural Background: White
Marital Status: Divorced
Do you have children?: yes
- if "yes," what age and sex are they?: 2, M
Why do we have schools?: To pass on knowledge gained by past generations. If we didn't pass on this knowledge, we'd have to reinvent the wheel every generation. Things like English help you become an adult who can communicate properly, and Math teaches you logic which helps you make informed decisions about many things, including money. College gives you an opportunity to become an expert in a field and make contributions to society. In order to expand the boundaries of human knowledge, you must first learn what the boundaries are. Without an education there is little difference between humans and social animals.

I have yet to be truly impressed with a college class. Maybe that's just the nature of Community College, but I've had a couple of my professors tell me not to expect any great leap at university, merely that the subject matter will be more focused.

It gets more interesting, difficult, and modern when you reach upper-division level. At this point you'll take classes that are only in your major for 2 years. This and a master's program will teach you the concepts needed to understand research papers in your field. Reading those research papers will take you to the edge of human knowledge. Then, for a PhD you will discover something new, or at least contribute some useful research of your own. The further you go, the more interesting it gets. You just have to wade through a lot of bullshit and jump through hoops to get there.