XM's Da Boneyard goes on hiatus

TheLongshot

Feb 11, 2002
Visit site
With the new shakeup in the channels, there has been heavy fallout. Da Boneyard ended up being one of the cuts, but only temporary until the AC/DC channel goes off the air. Problem is, when it comes back, it is likely that it won't be the same. Kevin Kash has been let go and it looks like the guys from Buzzsaw will be running the show when it comes back.

I hope that when it does come back that they continue with the new music that Kash was bringing to the station on the Breaking Bone Hour. A lot of the stuff that we listen to on this board was played on that show. I hope they go even further and get some of those songs some better rotation outside of the show.

But I am not all that hopeful given what I've heard so far. Right now I have to deal with Hair Nation, which was lame when I last subscribed to Sirius and it hasn't gotten any better. I also have to do without Fine Tuning, which was one of the few places I could listen to Progressive Rock anymore.

I do like that XMLM is playing more of the Hard Attack stuff, but it sucks for those guys who were a fan of extreme metal.

While I do have a little hope, I'm also rather pissed right now. It looks like Sirius is going to put a stake in the heart of XM. Unfortunate.

Jason

Yup - I miss The Boneyard as well, as that was about the only channel that I really liked on there. Like you said, it will be back in January. I guess XM already had a contract with AC/DC for their own channel (my guess to promote their new album and tour) and had to honor that - and Boneyard had to sit on the sidelines.

I don't think it will be the same channel as before. As you've said, it will be programmed by new people - out of the Sirius studios in NYC instead of the XM studios in Washington, DC.

Hair Nation and Boneyard are NOT the same channel, as Boneyard did on occasion play new music. Heck, they were the ONLY channel between the two satrad services that tried to play power or prog metal on a semi-regular basis.

I'm still waiting for a power or power/prog metal channel. With this merger of the two services and their dwindling cash flow (the combined service is VERY much deep in debt), I highly doubt this will ever happen. The best I can hope for is to have the Power Metal channel from AOL Radio be simulcasted on Sirius XM, but this would be unlikely. :erk:

Only time will tell...

I'm not familiar with XM's programming, but as a Sirius subscriber of 3 years, I'd figure that the crux of the Boneyard programming is smiliar to that of Buzzsaw, the station that it's replacing on the new combined lineup.

Maybe the Boneyard did feature some new rock/metal, and maybe it will be incorporated, but who knows?

Hair Nation is great, but the station is limisted to 80's/early 90's hardrock/metal, so there's not much they can do with it. That being said, they do pull up some different stuff within the genre in addition to the typical bands you'd hear on a station with that name.

I'm still waiting for a power or power/prog metal channel. With this merger of the two services and their dwindling cash flow (the combined service is VERY much deep in debt), I highly doubt this will ever happen. The best I can hope for is to have the Power Metal channel from AOL Radio be simulcasted on Sirius XM, but this would be unlikely. :erk:

That will never happen - the demand just isn't there. Sirius Hard Attack (now Liquid Metal) would toss stuff like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Into Eternity, Evergrey, etc. into the mix when they had some new songs to offer - but a station devoted soley to Prog/Power metal won't happy when you figure that a large percentage of metalheads would rather hear Slipknot and Sepultura over progressive bands.

Jose Mangin (Sirius DJ/programming director of Hard Attack/Liquid Metal) did mention a few years ago that they were considering specified programming for prog metal.

I have heard Pull Me Under and mid-era Fates Warning on Hair Nation.

I'm not familiar with XM's programming, but as a Sirius subscriber of 3 years, I'd figure that the crux of the Boneyard programming is smiliar to that of Buzzsaw, the station that it's replacing on the new combined lineup.

I'm not sure what Buzzsaw sounded like nowadays, but back when it started I didn't think it lived up to the promise. It was a wierd mix of some of the stuff on Hair Nation with some 70s rockers, but it didn't really go all that deep. I guess we will see when it comes back.

The funny thing is that the "new" XMLM is playing Volbeat, which I never heard on XM. Course, the XMLM fans are pissed, as I would expect.

Jason

I'm not sure what Buzzsaw sounded like nowadays, but back when it started I didn't think it lived up to the promise. It was a wierd mix of some of the stuff on Hair Nation with some 70s rockers, but it didn't really go all that deep. I guess we will see when it comes back.

The funny thing is that the "new" XMLM is playing Volbeat, which I never heard on XM. Course, the XMLM fans are pissed, as I would expect.

Jason

With Sirius, the following breakdown applied to station formats

Buzzsaw - Hard Rock - Priest, Metallica, Crue, Aerosmith, Maiden, DLR Van Halen - big singles plus "deep cuts/album tracks." etc. I've heard stuff like Metallica's "So What" and tons of Maiden like "Where Eagles Dare" in addition to all of the popular songs.

Octane - New Rock - Sevendust, Seether, Rob Zombie, etc. Started playing Volbeat over the past month

Hard Attack (now LM) - Metal - Slayer to Slipknot, Metallica, Maiden, Priest, etc. Big focus on newer metal bands like Gojira, but would bust out plenty of old school stuff like Death, Armored Saint, etc. Also started playing Volbeat recently.

I would hold out hope for AOL Radio. If Sumner Redstone wants to go after his old nemesis, he could launch his own service and take AOL Radio for the ride. I say this because AOL Radio is backed up by CBS Radio. And, Redstone has a 4-year long hard-on for Sirius rainmaker, Mel Karmazin. I think Redstone thinks he could do the satellite thing better. So, now would be his chance.

I have/had both for a while and perferred Sirius's Metal Stations with the exception that XM had a progmetal hour, which seems to have been lost in the new line up change. Now because of the new car I have XM or XM SIRIUS. What is everyone's take on the THAT METAL SHOW on Vh1? I am a little undecided it is good or not, so far I can it or leave it.

I have/had both for a while and perferred Sirius's Metal Stations with the exception that XM had a progmetal hour, which seems to have been lost in the new line up change. Now because of the new car I have XM or XM SIRIUS. What is everyone's take on the THAT METAL SHOW on Vh1? I am a little undecided it is good or not, so far I can it or leave it.

Somewhat underwhelming. It seems like an excuse for Trunk to screw around with is buds rather than actually talk about music.