You thought the RIAA was bad?

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-hearable-rings-up-200000-copyright-suit.html

You've got to be kidding me with this.. Main talking point, and I quote from the article, since it's so absolutely unbelievable...

The UK-based Performing Rights Society—a group that collects royalties for publishers, songwriters, and composers—has accused a car repair chain named Kwik-Fit of copyright infringement because mechanics were regularly found to play their radios loud enough for others to overhear the music.

...discuss.

That's actually quite true in the US as well, if you take the copyright laws literally. The big problem was, "Where does it end?", and that's why people haven't really considered arresting someone for whistling a song, although technically you could.

This is a major problem and needs to be cut off immediately. It sounds like these money-grubbing institutions are nearing their last breaths and are desperate to stay alive.

I love it when I hear bands bypassing traditional distribution channels and distributing music on their own. Radiohead and Oasis are doing just that because of all the crap from the recording industry.

I think the RIAA is shooting themselves in the foot. Instead of trying to fix the problem the right way, they're causing more damage. Just as how our wonderful (cough, cough) president and congress keep screwing things up, so is the RIAA.

Times change, technology changes. The vast majority of us have "graduated" from vinyl records to MP3s for one reason or another. The Internet has changed our lives so much that that any other way of doing things is now considered "old school". While I still like physical media, many people have done away with it and like the convience of portable digital media.

The RIAA is blaming the lack of CD sales on people pirating MP3s. While this is somewhat the case, I think the major reason is that the mainstream recording industry is releasing CRAP instead of quality products.

Getting back on track - publishing companies prosecute businesses all the time because they don't have the proper licenses (ASCAP, BMI, etc.) to play music in their business. Even just a small radio - as long as its considered a "public performance", you need to pay a license.

My opinion - WHAT A BUNCH OF BULLCRAP! Again, this goes to the "shooting yourself in the foot" philosophy. Why on Earth are they trying to UNpromote artists is beyond me? Shouldn't this be considered free advertisement instead?

I fully understand bands who cover other people's work need to pay performance fees (e.g. the All-Star Jam). But just playing a damn radio in public requires you to pay a license fee? I'm still trying to figure out the logic in that.

That's it. Listening to metal and letting your friends hear it is illegal. We are now only allowed to listen to top 40 such as emo, pop, and rap.

That's it. Listening to metal and letting your friends hear it is illegal. We are now only allowed to listen to top 40 such as emo, pop, and rap.

Actually, I'm pretty sure "emo, pop and rap" would be the problem, as they are most definitely on the radar for rackets like the RIAA.