10 best Death Metal bands

It's good to know that there are still some German death metal bands, though it's hard to get their CDs. I've never seen any Blood, Profanity, or Obscenity CDs at the store, and I don't even know where I can order them. I have a couple of Fleshcrawl CDs, and they are very good. I also have albums by Morgoth and Atrocity, but Morgoth aren't around anymore and Atrocity don't play death metal anymore (which is a real shame). Atrocity may have been the best German death metal band, with their dark sound, technical playing, and nihilistic lyrics. It's good to know that German death metal is still alive, as I am looking for more German death metal bands.

Here's my list (in alphabetical order):

1. Brodequin
2. Cryptopsy
3. Deeds of Flesh
4. Devourment
5. Disgorge (California)
6. Dying Fetus
7. Enmity
8. Lykathea Aflame
9. Retch
10. Suffocation

Naggamanteh said:
Here's my list (in alphabetical order):

1. Brodequin
2. Cryptopsy
3. Deeds of Flesh
4. Devourment
5. Disgorge (California)
6. Dying Fetus
7. Enmity
8. Lykathea Aflame
9. Retch
10. Suffocation
Oh man, forget about Enmity; any band that releases albums that are so badly produced and so poorly written that every track sounds identical before you've listened through the album about 25 times doesn't deserve to be on any top ten list, other than possibly a 'heaviest sounding' one. Heaviness isn't nearly enough to equate to greatness.

and Devourment are/were way too simplistic and catchy....they're the underground deathgrind's Manowar.

agreed with most of your other choices though.

SculptedCold said:
Oh man, forget about Enmity; any band that releases albums that are so badly produced and so poorly written that every track sounds identical before you've listened through the album about 25 times doesn't deserve to be on any top ten list, other than possibly a 'heaviest sounding' one. Heaviness isn't nearly enough to equate to greatness.
Actually, I had about 7 bands and then I didn't know what more to add. But I wanted to make it 10 so I added Enmity, just because it's such a mess and brutality. Feel free to replace it with anything else though. I have plenty suggestions: Spawn of Possesion, Nile, Krisiun, Mental Horror, Saprogenic, Prophecy, Necrophagist, Severed Remains, Pyrexia, Stabwound, Disavowed, Pyaemia, Sect of Execration, Malignancy, Immolation, Hate Eternal... hard to pick the best 10 really.

Yeah totally, but when in doubt its probably better to look at a band thats trying to do something a little different, rather than just writing garbage purely for the sake of heaviness. Don't get me wrong, I like Enmity too just because they're so damn heavy, but its not as if they're doing anything difficult or innovative...

Naggamanteh said:
Actually, I had about 7 bands and then I didn't know what more to add. But I wanted to make it 10 so I added Enmity, just because it's such a mess and brutality. Feel free to replace it with anything else though. I have plenty suggestions: Spawn of Possesion, Nile, Krisiun, Mental Horror, Saprogenic, Prophecy, Necrophagist, Severed Remains, Pyrexia, Stabwound, Disavowed, Pyaemia, Sect of Execration, Malignancy, Immolation, Hate Eternal... hard to pick the best 10 really. I believe it would be correct to pick Nile though, they are doing a good job in making extreme death metal more accessible and thus (hopefully) elliminating some pussy music from our lives. :)

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I don't really think Morbid Angel are progressive. And Napalm Death are shite.
What about Benediction and Bolt Thrower?

But Benediction are really shite.

For once, I'm inclined to agree with Avgrund.

As for me:

Atheist

At the Gates (pre-Terminal Spirit Disease; after that they were clearly not death metal)

Death

Cynic

Carcass

Martyr

Windham Hell

Dismember

Grave

Morbid Angel

I think you're a little bit overrating of Cannibal Corpse, you make them sound like the holy grail of all things Death Metal, above any type or flaw or blemish in their career.

I'd also say you horribly underrate Death. Albums like Human and Sound Of Perseverence are some of the best metal albums ever, you REALLY need to go re-listen to them if you thinkt hey are 'overrated.' They are the shit, much more inventive than the sum of the bands you listed.

Anyways, here's some shit I like.

Decapitated
Macabre
Death
Morbid Angel
Deicide
At The Gates
Nile
Vader
Deformed By Darkness
Tired Of Listing
Bands