2006 CDs and shows - your favorites?

Taliwakker said:
Have you heard Coldseed? thats the biggest shiteater for my 2006.

I've heard others say they really liked it. Have not heard the entire album for myself to judge, though.

Coldseed features

Bjorn 'Speed' Strid (of Soilwork)
Thomen Stauch (Savage Circus/Blind Guardian)
Oliver Holdzswarth (Seiges Even)

Its Nu-metal crap which sounds totally uninspired.

War_Blade said:
you must be joking. right?:Smug:

No... I'm not joking... I'd rather listen to Nelly Furtado's latest album than all the speed-of-light Jordan Rudess synthesizer freakouts you can throw at me.

I really wasn't expecting to like this and paid no attention to it... but randomly saw the video for "Promiscuous" recently and was hooked... it's mainstream dance pop... but it's just done so well. There's definately a depth and integrity to this that is absent from a lot of the similar stuff out there.

I think it is kinda odd that she went from, the im like a bird song, what she really enjoyed. Then when she faded from the public eye she became despirate and made a hip-hop/dance album. Most people listening to that song dont even know what the word Promiscuous means. But whatever, the abuse of your ears is no business of mine i suppose...

If the name of that depth and integridy is not guitar solos and straight through double bass drumming, then get out of my house. :)lol:)

War_Blade said:
I think it is kinda odd that she went from, the im like a bird song, what she really enjoyed. Then when she faded from the public eye she became despirate and made a hip-hop/dance album. Most people listening to that song dont even know what the word Promiscuous means. But whatever, the abuse of your ears is no business of mine i suppose...

There's nothing more damaging to the ears than a Jordan Rudess keyboard solo.

Taliwakker said:
Coldseed features

Bjorn 'Speed' Strid (of Soilwork)
Thomen Stauch (Savage Circus/Blind Guardian)
Oliver Holdzswarth (Seiges Even)

Its Nu-metal crap which sounds totally uninspired.

I fail to hear how Coldseed is nu-metal as there is no rapping on this album whatsoever.

It might sound a bit metalcoreish at times much like recent Soilwork...I dug what I heard.

Metalcore...nu-metal...whatever...it doesn't work.

Strid's clean vocals are a bit weak in places...and when the agro vocals are kicking in its over the top of $2 pissweak riffs....none of the songs on this album are as good as the crappest songs on Stabbing the Drama.
Personally i think Strid has had too much going on (Soilwork,Terror 2000, Disarmonia Mundi) in the last year or so and this project suffered for it.

I've given it a week in the car...maybe 10 full listens at a fair volume and i'm really not feeling it.

ProgMetalFan said:
I really wasn't expecting to like this and paid no attention to it... but randomly saw the video for "Promiscuous" recently and was hooked... it's mainstream dance pop... but it's just done so well. There's definately a depth and integrity to this that is absent from a lot of the similar stuff out there.

she has a song out called 'promiscuous'?? riiiiight, i really love what messages mainstream music is sending out to the masses these days *rolls eyes*

seeing as i never answered this thread topic yet.. my favourite album release for this year (i think the only latest release ive heard for 2006 as far as i can think of actually) is Pitch Black Progress - as I said before, I was slow to warm up to SS based on their SID album but PBP rocked my world! I still cannot get enough of it..

and the only metal show I went to this year was Opeth :headbang: which was amazing!!!!!

since I havent purchased a ton of music this year i have to say the following, kalmah the black waltz, and as for concerts, kamelot in october, nothing else matters

RobbM said:
Mabie he got "Coldseed" and "Coldplay" mixed up...

Excuse me, I happen to like Coldplay! :mad:

But I totally agree about a Jordan Rudess keyboard solo. Octavarium was better because compared to other stuff he was involved in, he shut up!

Yngvai X said:
I fail to hear how Coldseed is nu-metal as there is no rapping on this album whatsoever.

Adema, Korn (minus a few random songs, but even SFU had Ice T on a song), Stone Sour, Deftones... there are tons of nu metal bands without rapping matt. Go ahead and discount Korn for the reason i stated above, there's still other examples. Rap does not make nu metal, it's just a part of the whole movement.

Edit: also, let us specify that "metalcore" isn't just shitty metal. i mean, it is, but it's one of those "all metalcore is shitty metal, but not all shitty metal is metalcore" things. The "core" implies a metal/hardcore mix such as As I Lay Dying (which i liked their When Frail Words Collapse disc, but that's neither here nor there), Norma Jean, Atreyu and so on. Think of those bands that the kids in their gaycore woman's jeans do windmill kicks and punch the air and fight the invisible ninjas while picking up pennies. I haven't heard a lot of Coldseed, but what i have heard reminds me more of the boring, flat nu-metal than the hardcore influenced metalcore. I'll admit the line is very thin and blurry, so you can have a mix, but i hear more nu metal than 'core personally.
Coldseed = shite.

Let's see if i can remember the stuff i liked this year.

Best Cd's (no special order):
Project Hate - Armageddon March Eternal (Symphonies of Slit Wrists)
Necrophobic - Hirmthursum
Communic - Waves of Visual Decay
Gorgoroth - Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Dissection - Reinkaos

Best Shows:
Kreator!!!!
Sonata Arctica
Necrophagist/Arsis

Biggest Letdown:
Edguy - Rocket Ride (After the Superheroes EP, i was expecting more than gay, bon jovi rock)

Looking Forward To:
Amon Amarth - With Oden on our Side
God Dethroned - The Toxic Touch
probably some others that i can't think of at the moment.

I don't know if I posted this before but so far the albums I like the most from 2006 are:

Novembre - Materia
Saturnus - Veronika Decides to Die
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Amorphis - Eclipse
Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra
OSI - Free
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance