5150(6505)/5150 II(6505+) and Rectifier Comparison Thread

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
Lasse, please sticky this to avoid any further debates.

For anyone who wonders about the following productions, here is how they compare, coming from an unbiased source:

Peavey

The 5150 (block letter and signature) and 6505 are all the exact same amplifier when it comes to circuitry, factory bias, and transformers. The ONLY differences between these amplifiers are their external appearance.

On a recent note, the component tolerances for Peavey amplifiers, as well as the production location (China), may effect how the 6505 amps sound compared to 5150 despite them being the exact same circuit.

EDIT: So far, in my experience, I prefer the sound of the newer 6505 amps, but the one I own may be a "winner," whatever that means.

The 5150 combo and 6505 combo are also the exact same amplifier. These are biased slightly hotter than the 5150II head, supposedly sound more "open," and share more in common circuit wise to the 5150II than the 5150.

The 6505+ 1x12 combo supposedly has three resistors different from a 5150/6505 head, but I have yet to verify this information.

The 5150 II and 6505+ are also the exact same amp. These amplifiers have less low end, are brighter, are a slight bit more nasal, and have an adjustable bias compared to their 5150/6505 counterparts. These have several component differences compared to the original heads. They also have one extra preamp tube for the rhythm channel and less gain overall.

(some of this information was taken from this thread; others I have collected from various places on the internet, including this forum, and do not take credit for).

Mesa/Boogie

The Single Rectifier sounds least like the Dual and Triple Rectifiers. It is in most cases considered the weakest and fizziest of the bunch. The circuitry is different from the Dual and Triple Rectifiers.

The Two Channel Dual/Triple Rectifiers and Dual Rectifier Rackmount all have the same circuitry and sound so similar that you can dial them all in to have nearly 100% the same tone. The Dual Rectifier Rackmount sounds most different from it's bretheren because the circuit board is physically smaller and the components are closer together.

The Three Channel Dual/Triple Rectifiers sound exactly the same minus the amount of clean headroom, which may affect the response of the amp to sound slightly more "squishy." The circuitry is supposedly identical.

The 2010 Multi Watt Three Channel Dual/Triple Rectifiers have an improved clean/pushed channel and assignable diode/tube tracking as well as a 50/100/150(where applicable) watt switch for each channel.

The Dual Rectifier Roadster is voiced darker and is slighly tighter than the Three Channel Dual Rectifier.

The Dual Rectifier Road King (I and II) supposedly has identical circuitry to the Three Channel Dual Rectifier, but having more components stuffed on the circuit board will definitely effect the sound ever so slightly.

The Three Channel Dual/Triple Rectifiers are slightly brighter and more aggressive than their Two Channel counterparts. You can dial these amps in to sound almost exactly the same as the Two Channel versions. The biggest differences are noted in the Two Channel versions had transformer and slight circuit revisions in the early numbers.

Supposedly the earliest two channel Dual/Triple Rectifiers from around '92/'93 had circuits that were nearly identical to the Soldano SLO100 give or take values on a few components. These are considered the "Holy Grail" of the Rectifier series. The amps have been voiced less favorably since then according to discriminating Boogie enthusiasts.

The 5150 series also shares much of it's preamp topology and voicing with the Soldano SLO100.

For comparison between 5150 models, check here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/577358-5150-5150-ii-5150-iii-tone-comparison-clipz.html

EDIT (Lasse) 2ch Recto Info

Cool stuff dude, the only thing I'm slightly on the fence about is the sound differences between Duals and Triples - I've heard clips of Triples that had this certain really aggressive "edgy" rawness that I wouldn't necessarily say was better or worse than my impression of the Dual sound (from countless clips, as well as ownership experience :D), just different. However, I'm also pretty certain all those awesome clips (and the tone on "The Gathering" in particular, not a fan of a certain part of the character of it, but I think that's mostly owing to the Beta57 that was used, it's still SO fucking raw and roaring :worship:) were 3-channel Triples, so maybe that difference in edginess is more from the 2 ch vs 3 ch disparity (in other words, 3 ch Duals can have that same quality that I feel can't be coaxed from the 2 ch's, which are darker sounding to my ears, but in a sludgier way than the "darkness" of the Roadster IMO)

Also, I always figured the Road King had similar distortion channels to the Roadster (darker/tighter), since the Roadster is basically a Road King Lite, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean Mesa wanted to copy it exactly!

Good thread.

Although I should add, I am dissappointed, because I came in here expecting to hear some badass tones too. :lol:

Aside from no tube rectifiers and less power tubes, how is the circuit different on the single compared to the dual/triple rectifiers, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, is the circuit the same on the Rectoverb as in the regular single? Aside from the reverb, I mean, cause I've always theard the Rectoverb has 'better' cleans.

Just curious. :)

Aside from no tube rectifiers and less power tubes, how is the circuit different on the single compared to the dual/triple rectifiers, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, is the circuit the same on the Rectoverb as in the regular single? Cause I've always theard the Rectoverb has 'better' cleans.

Just curious. :)

I don't know, and I doubt Greg does either :)D), but I know that I've never played nor heard a Single Rec/Rectoverb that I liked!

I don't have schematics for comparison. Mesa likes to keep their schematics to themselves (for good reason).

I will also say on both notes, I've had excellent customer support from both Peavey and Mesa/Boogie.

I agree with Marcus on that. I'm leaving out the obvious comparisons as well.

Well I will say that I don't think either can be dialed in to sound exactly like the other, but they both still sound unmistakably like Rectifiers IMO! (but while I've never actually played a 3 ch., I know I've never heard a 2 ch. sound as good as my favorite 3 ch. tones, e.g. Whitechapel's most recent, and of course, Demigod)

Anyone want to buy me 12 of the same amp? I'd love to do a shootout :loco:

Hahaha, true enough :lol:

I constantly have band practice situations where I'm playing my 3 channel alongside Nic's 2 channel, and while our guitars are different, and our cabs are slightly different, there is no denying they both sound incredible. I wouldn't say one sounds better than the other by any means, and I do believe that if they were both running through the same cabs and having the same guitars used, you could get them to sound very similar.

The Dual Rectifier Roadster is voiced darker and is slighly tighter than the Three Channel Dual Rectifier.

Umm... that reads like a "fact", like it really has been done on purpose.

But are we sure of that? I mean, we all heard the comparison clips Marcus did, but there are so many factors playing a role in this.

Based on those clips I wouldn't dare to go further than saying "in these clips, this Roadster sounds darker and tighter than that 2-channel Dual Rec. in this exact context (settings, mic placement etc.)."

So all the bla blah aside, I just wanna know if that's something "official" straight from Mesa? :loco: