6505 into Axe 2

Dec 29, 2010
Colorado
I honestly never noticed the "Preamp out" chilling on the back panel before and was wondering if it is possible for me run my 6505+ into the Axe Fx for conversion purposes and then throw an IR in the mix? Im such a noob in this area and Id prefer not to set $3500 dollars worth of gear on fire.

Ohhhhh ok yeah I see. Has anybody tried this with good results. I've never really heard about someone doing this. The goal for me mainly is to work as much analog into my guitar chain as possible while still remaining at bedroom ish levels. Which is why I would rather take this road as opposed to tossing a mic in front of a cab blasting metal all day. Cranky neighbors :/.

You'll still get sound out of the FX send and preamp out even if there isn't a cabinet plugged in - your amp will just blow the output traffo after a bit.

And yes, this works fine. FX send or preamp out to DAW, apply impulse.

Bit of a necrobump here but I've yet to try this out, as it is more of an interest than something I'm dying to do, buuuut I had a thought. What if I just pull my power tubes out? Would this circumvent the need for a dummy load due to the power section being disabled?

Or option B. Get a hot plate or something so I can bring the output, POST power section, down to line level. That way I could get the full effect of tube saturation and all that good stuff.

A) B+ voltage goes up on the preamp tubes, could pop one if you run it too long that way, but short term is most likely ok. Why not just run the amp in standby with the cab plugged in?
B) It will saturate the the tubes, but it changes the characteristics of the sound noticeably. It will sound flatter because it's not a reactive load like a speaker. And much of the characteristics of the sound of an amp are the speakers.

Why not just run the amp in standby with the cab plugged in?

Doesn't work that way with these amps I am affraid, standby cuts power to the preamp tubes as well as the screen grid, rendering both the preamp and power amp useless.

Get a hot plate or something so I can bring the output, POST power section, down to line level. That way I could get the full effect of tube saturation and all that good stuff.

Tone wise that would be the best bet. In my loadbox thread I demonstrated clips of the FX loop, and post power amp with speaker saturation simulation and some time later did a passive vs reactive load clip, the biggest difference was getting the sound post power amp, and even on the reactive vs passive thread, a lot of people were mixed about which one they liked more, it wasn't a huge difference, more so a subjective one.