A question for Mr.Ott

rushjackson

New Metal Member
Jul 28, 2004
Hey Doug!

I noticed you occasionally respond on this forum and I had a few questions for you. Well, I've been a fan of Enchant for a long time and in the past what really drew me in was the complex/progressive/intricite elements of Enchants music, but lately, what has really drawn me is the emotion behind the music! It is unbelievable! The guitar work is filled with passion from every chord to the each solo, it really takes me somewhere else.

Anyways, my question has nothing to do with theory or scales, or how many hours a day you spent practicing. (Feel free to comment on these topics though :) But it is more on the emotional side, how do put yourself into such a state to write and execute incredible rhythm sections and solos, what goes on through your head? (I'm just listening to Look Away right now and nearly crying, so beautiful. Vocals, melody, sound, perfect.) The reason I ask all this is I am guitar player also, (surprised? hah) and I have been doing a lot of "soul" searching lately and I would like to know how you did it.

Thank you, and I would like to say hello to everyone on the forum!

Well first off, thanks! I appreciate your kind words about my playing. I never really consider myself to be a great guitarist or anything...I just play. I used to spend at least 4 hours a day practicing when I was younger and i think that helped me a lot as far as technique goes. As far as emotion is concerned, I think you have to be able to really feel what you are playing. Look Away is a great example: I really just tried to capture what I was feeling, which was the lyric of the song and the sadness of being so insecure with your faults that you do nothing about it. There are a few guitarists that really can do this well that have inspired me. Neal Schon of Journey; crying melodies with the ability for incredible speed. Steve Rothery: Nobody plays a melody like Steve! He really taught me what it means to feel what you are playing. Alex Lifeson: He is like a cameleon or something; no matter what type of song he is playing, his solo matches it perfectly. These ar a few of the guys who really inspired me as a player. I hope that helps.

Doug

Doug,

I notice you are listening to Enchant 'Live At Last'...is that the official title? Can we get a sneek peak at the track listing?

I can't wait for the live cd!!!

Douglas A. Ott said:
Well first off, thanks! I appreciate your kind words about my playing. I never really consider myself to be a great guitarist or anything...I just play. I used to spend at least 4 hours a day practicing when I was younger and i think that helped me a lot as far as technique goes. As far as emotion is concerned, I think you have to be able to really feel what you are playing. Look Away is a great example: I really just tried to capture what I was feeling, which was the lyric of the song and the sadness of being so insecure with your faults that you do nothing about it. There are a few guitarists that really can do this well that have inspired me. Neal Schon of Journey; crying melodies with the ability for incredible speed. Steve Rothery: Nobody plays a melody like Steve! He really taught me what it means to feel what you are playing. Alex Lifeson: He is like a cameleon or something; no matter what type of song he is playing, his solo matches it perfectly. These ar a few of the guys who really inspired me as a player. I hope that helps.

Doug

Douglas A. Ott said:

Doug

Very cool Doug, thanks a lot for replying! I know what you mean about trying to "capture" what you are feeling, I am attempting in doing that with my music, and it is quite difficult but rewarding once you really begin to sense what the music wants.

Out of the players you mentioned I only know of Lifeson, who I agree with you 100%, amazing player with lots of passion. I'll make sure to look into the other players you mentioned.

Thanks again for the reply, I'm waiting anxiously for the DVD!! (And an Enchant show in the San Diego area.) :Spin:

-Andrei :wave: