Acoustic-electric guitar, suggestions?

Jan 10, 2011
Hey there. My friend is going to the USA and I asked him to get me an acoustic-electric guitar. I want to spend 300-400 top and I'm not sure what I should look for. I want it to be a cutaway guitar but since I never had an acoustic electric one I don't know what brands make good guitars of this kind. Any suggestions?

I asked on 7strings forum and someone suggested the G series from Takamine, but on the takamine forums there's this discussion saying they are not so good: http://www.takamineforum.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?p=55567&sid=8c420b4f7d70379561c1cebc87b2a6a6

Seagull are well respected but I havent loved any of the ones I have played, a bit stiff feeling and nothing about it justified the slightly larger price over a comparable Yamaha or Alvarez. Taylors tend to be pretty awesome but your not going to get a full size one for 3-$400.

I would point out I dont consider myself an expert acoustic player, but Ive worked at a mom and pop guitar store and played enough to know what I dig. I personally think cutaways on acoustic guitars tend to make them sound worse and arent worth the 3 or so extra frets you can hit more often than not. I would also say that acoustic instruments in general vary so much in tone and feel that I would never be comfortable buying one sight unseen / unplayed. I have played $200 acoustics that have amazing tone and $1200 models that really stink. I can only recommend the Yamaha FG series because I have played quite a few and they have all sounded well above the price tag and felt consistently good to me. I would just buy something that you can try out wherever you live, unless thats really not an option.

YMMV grain of salt...

Eastman Guitars. I spent a Saturday morning at Guitar Center, disappointed at everything I grabbed, even stuff above my budget.

I then went to a smaller mom & pop store in the afternoon, and was blown away when I tried the Eastman.

Seagull are well respected but I havent loved any of the ones I have played, a bit stiff feeling and nothing about it justified the slightly larger price over a comparable Yamaha or Alvarez. Taylors tend to be pretty awesome but your not going to get a full size one for 3-$400.

I would point out I dont consider myself an expert acoustic player, but Ive worked at a mom and pop guitar store and played enough to know what I dig. I personally think cutaways on acoustic guitars tend to make them sound worse and arent worth the 3 or so extra frets you can hit more often than not. I would also say that acoustic instruments in general vary so much in tone and feel that I would never be comfortable buying one sight unseen / unplayed. I have played $200 acoustics that have amazing tone and $1200 models that really stink. I can only recommend the Yamaha FG series because I have played quite a few and they have all sounded well above the price tag and felt consistently good to me. I would just buy something that you can try out wherever you live, unless thats really not an option.

YMMV grain of salt...
Thanks for you opinion. I don't like buying without trying myself first, but since most of these guitars are hard to find in my country and if I can get them, they cost exactly the double they cost in the USA, I can't miss the chance. Even if I get a guitar I don't end up enjoying, I may sell it and make a profit of it. That's why I'm decided to do it despite not being able to try them.

That's an interesting point on the cutaway thing. I may change my mind and look for alternatives. And I will check that Yamaha series for sure.

I bought 2 different sigma acoustics just a few months ago and both were in that price range. If you like the Martin sound Sigma are perfect because they were owned by Martin until a few years ago and the new owners have the rights to make a 100% exact copy of the entire martin range. In Australia we can even buy them with a sigma and co. head stock just like the Martin but in America I think they have kindred/sigma on the logo. Mine almost sound identical to the Martin version and were almost a third of the price. Yamaha fg series is ok but more obscure brands can really kick ass.