Acoustic guitar with a condenser mic and pickup

Smallstep

Mar 5, 2016
So I'm recording acoustic guitar with a condenser mic and a pickup (B-Band A3T) on a stereo bus.

As it is, I only hear the light plucked strings with the condenser,
but when I hit the lowest string, right speaker dominates with the pickup.

(I pan the condenser left, pickup right, and play with the pan width on the bus.)
Regarding hp/lp filters, I figure it's fine to use it on the bus only, right ? I'm not so sure since it's much more dynamic than metal guitars.

But I know I need to EQ them separatly... but is there a VST for this ?
One that would match the EQs somehow, with comp and stuff.

Will take your pan/eq/comp tricks too for this particular method of recording and mixing.

Thanks boys !

You're probably having phasing issues. Honestly, if it were me, I'd double track everything and have mic'd track l/r and also the option to blend the pickup l/r.

Yeah ditch that method. Find a good spot to mic with the condenser, and if you want stereo width track two separate parts and pan them L/R.

Pickups on acoustic guitars are sonically useless outside of a live setting, and that strictly for convenience. In my opinion.

Yup I think you're right... it's not the best idea ever.
Because I improvise most of the time, without a click, I'd prefer to find a method that allows me to record a single take that sounds great. Just talking about making sketches here, not a real prod (would layer takes, on the grid of course).

I do have an SM57 though, with that cheap condenser (Behringer C-1), would that be a good setup ? SM57 on the sound hole and condenser near the middle of the neck 45 degrees toward the hole or something ?

You're right, but I don't trust my environment to give me a good playback. I have a dying PC and a damn freezer in the room ;/
Thank you, I'll try anyway !

Well then the harsh truth is that if I were you I wouldn't expect to be able to record a "single take that sounds great" as in the end, YOU will be the one placing the mikes and listeing to what you've recorded, if your room isn't good enough to even monitor you recordings properly, I don't think recording acoustic material there is an option if you want a really good sounding track, however it might be enough for preprod stuff and sketches!

I'd prefer to find a method that allows me to record a single take that sounds great.

Well that's pretty simple. TBH recording acoustic guitar is 85% about you and your guitar. Any number of mics will work. Point your condenser about 6-12 inches away at around the 12th fret. want more bass? Move toward the sound hole. Less Bass? Further up the neck. Keep it simple. Worry about PLAYING the best take, not about the minute details of the engineering.