Albums that have a storyline

Fuck, I forgot Mabool. Yeah, Orphaned Land - Mabool is a fantastic concept album.
Also, while Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge sounds like it has a story (and is quite awesome), it doesn't.

In Flames - Whoracle - kinda hard to follow, but really fantastic, so worth it anyhow
Also, everything from Ayreon
With Bal-Sagoth, each song is a miniature fantasy saga, so they're worth mentioning here.

You're all a bunch of lame people who are bad for not mentioning any PoS :mad:.

Pain of Salvation - Entropia
Pain of Salvation - One Hour By The Concrete Lake
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element, Part I
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Pain of Salvation - BE
Pain of Salvation - Scarsick

edit ;)

I'm buying that today. Really like Inferno.

If you haven't , you should check out Adagio :
Sanctus Ignus - 2001
Underworld - 2003
A Band in Upperworld ( Live ) - 2004
Dominate - 2005
Archangels In Black - should be out soon

First 3 are symphonic/power , much like Symphony X
Dominate is symphonic/power + a bit of death vocals ( best album ever )
Archangels in black should be a mix of prog and extreme metal , can't wait .
Adagio is the best band ever !

Checked out Adagio and PoS (Tries not to make pun on acronym for name). Adagio was great, but there are lots of unrelated hits on Project Playlist. XD Pain Of Salvation is epic so far.

Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Evergrey - The Inner Circle

Both absolutely great albums. Prog/power with a very dark feel to them.

Also, some that were already metntioned that I would also reccomend are:

Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver (an extremely epic album!)
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory (a must for any prog fan)
Iced Earth - The Dark Saga (it has some really amazing songs and a great story)

Amorphis

All their albums deal with tales from the Kalevala, but some of the best are:

The Karelian Isthmus
Tales From the Thousand Lakes
Elegy
Tuonela
Eclipse
Silent Waters

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
Although there are boring ballads there are some sweet tracks on that album to name some:

Beyond This Life
Home
The Dance Of Eternity

:lol: :lol: OK, dude.

Did you even look at the lyrics? Sure, it doesn't revolve around a traditional, chronologically-based story , but there is something being told... the same symbolisms and figurative language are used throughout (the repeated use of "God" in quotation marks as a display of mocking, the references of a kingdom being destroyed in the first two songs, the talks of truth/light evident in tracks 3, 4, 10, etc.). It is obvious that there are themes of anti-religious tones, individualism/soul-searching, insanity, etc., which are put together in a narrative of some kind.

Even Tomas himself said in an email to a fan who asked about the album title, that the lyrics were penned with individualism/'believing in yourself' ideas in mind. If you were thinking that these lyrics were your typical, no-relation-whatsoever blasphemous lyrics, then what do you make of the aforementioned connections between metaphor/language (and the way they are used to form a narrative)? Maybe TRiTSO doesn't flow completely as 100% pure storyline per say, but how could you look at the lyrics and think that they didn't at least hint at being such?

There's a difference between a concept album and an album that has a storyline.

Indeed, but I believe something can have general concepts/themes, and follow/tell a storyline based on those (no matter how loose that storyline may be)... and yes, these are rare. In this sense, they aren't mutually exclusive. But I do agree many albums either work as concept albums or as storyline albums.