All attending Boston Gigantour: Sign in here.

wwallinga said:
But, I am going to complain about their interaction with the crowd. The other bands took lots of time to say thanks, throw some picks, slap some hands, and basically show their appreciation. Opeth finished Deliverance, said thanks, and quickly walked off stage. They were the only band not doing signings, and in general seemed putoff being there. None of these things effected me personally, but it just felt to me like they could have put more effort into it. I really enjoyed their set, but I'll be looking forward to the next headlining tour.

That sounds really surprising. Usually he's very appreciative of the crowd. I've seen them perform short sets 3-5 songs on a few occasions & every time he's always said they're sorry they couldn't play longer, but that they'll be back again in the future.

I don't believe they did a signing in Montreal either & they were out of signed cd's.

If anyone has a picture of Mike in a Red Sox shirt, please post it

It seems to me that Opeth doesn't like doing these types of tours. They seem to fill up the smaller venues with ease on their own. I don't see them gaining any huge exposure touring with a bunch of bands that are well past their prime & someone like LOG who's fans basically show up just to kill themselves in the pit.

Who's the idiot at RoadRunner who put them on this bill ???

Personally I enjoyed the Gigantour lineup, but a band as unique as Opeth deserves more stage time for fans to realize just how great they are. Playing short sets doesn't do them justice & certainly leaves us diehards wanting more.

opeth8 said:
That sounds really surprising. Usually he's very appreciative of the crowd. I've seen them perform short sets 3-5 songs on a few occasions & every time he's always said they're sorry they couldn't play longer, but that they'll be back again in the future.

I don't believe they did a signing in Montreal either & they were out of signed cd's.

If anyone has a picture of Mike in a Red Sox shirt, please post it

It seems to me that Opeth doesn't like doing these types of tours. They seem to fill up the smaller venues with ease on their own. I don't see them gaining any huge exposure touring with a bunch of bands that are well past their prime & someone like LOG who's fans basically show up just to kill themselves in the pit.

Who's the idiot at RoadRunner who put them on this bill ???

Personally I enjoyed the Gigantour lineup, but a band as unique as Opeth deserves more stage time for fans to realize just how great they are. Playing short sets doesn't do them justice & certainly leaves us diehards wanting more.

/The god damned Truth.

I agree completely. I heard one Lamb fan call Opeth emos.... what assholes.

This is the third time I saw them perform live, I have to say I like the previous two times much better considering the smaller venue, longer set list, and also I got directly in the front row- however that said, the concert was still worth it for seeing Opeth performance live is always great.

One thing I did notice in Boston was that it seemed the bass was turned up too much which drowned out their vocals and other instruments. I know that previous performances I could make out Mikael's death vocals perfectly and they had an astounding effect- but it seemed this concert the bass took away from it & I could not hear his singing clearly. Did anyone else notice this?

Seeing Opeth twice in one year is something I'm overjoyed about, but the atmosphere that hung over this particular tour killed it for me somewhat. I didn't know you needed these "pit passes" to get up front, so that was somewhat disappointing, as was their relatively short 4 song set-list, but eh, neither of those things have anything to do with Opeth. I'm glad I saw them, I enjoyed Mikael's usual Scorpions banter and his claim that he has a Boston University sweatshirt, hah. What really ruined this night for me was the Lamb of God crowd surge; I ended up having to go into the pit or be crushed by the crazy pit-goers behind me. Their set was way too long, and a pain in the ass overall. I was shocked that Opeth played so early, but that's what happens when they're put on a tour that they don't really fit into, I suppose. Arch Enemy was also pretty entertaining, and I was glad to hear Ravenous, though I missed half of Nemesis because I had an 1 1/2 drive to the venue. I've never been a Megadeth fan, but they put on a decent show with some grand guitar work, and Mustaine seemed to be a gentleman. In the end, I had a good time, but nothing compared with the last time I saw Opeth at Lupo's in February.

The sound seemed a tiny bit muddled to me, which could've been from what WinterSonnet said though maybe I'm just imagining this because I wasn't close enough for my taste, haha.

Also, if anyone has photos of Friday, I'd love to see them posted.

WinterSonnet said:
One thing I did notice in Boston was that it seemed the bass was turned up too much which drowned out their vocals and other instruments. I know that previous performances I could make out Mikael's death vocals perfectly and they had an astounding effect- but it seemed this concert the bass took away from it & I could not hear his singing clearly. Did anyone else notice this?

Yes. And I guess now it wasn't just because I was up front with Mendez directly in front of me. For GoP I couldn't hear the Mike's or Peter's guitars very well, but I heard it better for the rest of the set.

She's talking about Lupo's. It was much better. Of course comparing a headlining show to a support show is a bit silly, but I understand what she means since I was at both.

Yeah I would hope so, haha, my tired brain was a little fogged is all. That Lupo's show was definitely great. Hopefully they'll headline again sometime in the next few years, though they do need a break from touring/writing.

Yes. And I guess now it wasn't just because I was up front with Mendez directly in front of me. For GoP I couldn't hear the Mike's or Peter's guitars very well, but I heard it better for the rest of the set.
I am glad I am not the only one who noticed. I was up front before in a concert in Raleigh, NC and they sounded perfectly clear, so I was sort of upset about that but knew it was just the sound system's fault and not Opeth's fault.

Also, I did not like the idea of wearing wristbands to get in the mosh area- I was so disappointed in that for I wished to be right up front with them. I had a seat way in the back, but I snuck up pass the seating ushers to the first row of seats for Opeth (I was not going to let them stop me from getting a good spot for my fav band :p)! So at least I was the closest as possible without having a wristband.

I got there at 2:30 and waited with under 15 people outside.
I got there early as well- probably the second female waiting (not the one with fishnets on, but the one with jeans & Opeth Blackwater Park T-shirt.

WinterSonnet said:
Also, I did not like the idea of wearing wristbands to get in the mosh area- I was so disappointed in that for I wished to be right up front with them. I had a seat way in the back, but I snuck up pass the seating ushers to the first row of seats for Opeth (I was not going to let them stop me from getting a good spot for my fav band :p)! So at least I was the closest as possible without having a wristband.

I had no idea about the wristbands either, but apparently the guy who bought my tickets for me got the "General Admission" tix, which allowed you to go get the blue wristbands. That would explain the extra ten bucks I paid for the ticket.

I was at the Lupo's show in February. Opeth and Dark Tranquillity.. not much could have topped that, minus the DT guys getting screwed out of stage time. It was my 5th time seeing Opeth and my 3rd seeing DT.

Zephyrus said:
I had no idea about the wristbands either, but apparently the guy who bought my tickets for me got the "General Admission" tix, which allowed you to go get the blue wristbands. That would explain the extra ten bucks I paid for the ticket.

Yeah, nor did I ... you were lucky to get those. For any other shows I go to, I'm going to make it a point to call the venue and ask about tickets like that, because the website didn't mention it from what I remember.

When did you get your ticket? I bought mine 10 minutes after they went onsale. I had to use the phone since I could not get through on ticketmaster.com. The entire thing was automated. At no time did they ask me if I wanted GA or not.

When I got the ticket a few weeks later and saw GA on it, I just assumed the whole audience was GA (like Worcester and Providence). But then I saw the seating chart on the BOA Pavilion website, and I was pretty darned happy.

It was so wierd being up there for the first 3 bands - the GA area was never more than 1/3 full during that time. I was really glad I left before LOG since the place went nuts and LOG sucks donkey balls.

wwallinga said:
When did you get your ticket? I bought mine 10 minutes after they went onsale. I had to use the phone since I could not get through on ticketmaster.com. The entire thing was automated. At no time did they ask me if I wanted GA or not.

When I got the ticket a few weeks later and saw GA on it, I just assumed the whole audience was GA (like Worcester and Providence). But then I saw the seating chart on the BOA Pavilion website, and I was pretty darned happy.

It was so wierd being up there for the first 3 bands - the GA area was never more than 1/3 full during that time. I was really glad I left before LOG since the place went nuts and LOG sucks donkey balls.

Due to unfortunate (i.e. people being assholes) circumstances, I never ended up getting my ticket until a few days before the show. What's even stranger is that the people who came with me bought their tickets the day of the show and got better seats than I did, so we did a little manuevering and I ended up at the gate to the pit. Maybe it was the first x-amount of tickets sold that were GA? That might explain this whole thing. Also, yeah ... I ended up getting stuck in the pit during Lamb of God and it was annoying to say the least; seemed like they played the same thing, over and over again, for such a long time. Ah, well. Next time I'm securing myself some tickets EARLY.