All Time Underrated Metal Guitarists

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
There are some truly unsung heros in this catagory.

Uli Jon Roth (Scorpions/Electric Sun)-Amazing guitarist, went from psychodelic hippy metal with the Scorps to reinventing the instrument and exploring Barogue violin transcriptions with his own unique flavor. Any guitarist worth his weight will agree that he invented the neo-classical style with his solo on The Sails of Charon from 1978's Taken By Force.

Michael Schenker (UFO/Scorps/MSG)-This is the first guy who made a song with a guitar solo. He took simple riffs and brought them to life with his feel and sense of melody. His extended guitar solo on Rockbottom from UFO's '79 release, Strangers in the Night, is an all time classic and a must for anyone's collection.

Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)-A huge influence on metal guitar. This band defined metal. His riffs, harmonized leads and note choices steering away from the usual tonal modes, made an impact on metal that can't be equaled. Totally underrated and underappreciated as a guitarist.

Those are my most obvious choices...I'm interested to see what the forum has to add.

Peace!

I don't know if Tipton was underrated. He and K.K. were looked upon with much adoration in the 80's. You could not be more right about Schenker.
Chris Poland - Was great in Megadeth.
Jason Becker -Nuff said

Damn, this is tough. I mean, I could name a bunch of guitarists that I think rock but, are they really good? Some of them just lay a mean rythm down that just makes the song. You know what I mean?

Rocky George - Suicidal Tendencies

Jake E. Lee - Ozzy

Gary Holt - Exodus

Spike Cassidy - D.R.I.

Lita Ford (Because she was SO FINE her talent is often overlooked!)

Steve Vai!!! (Just kidding:lol: :lol: ) To name a few.

fah-q said:
I don't know if Tipton was underrated. He and K.K. were looked upon with much adoration in the 80's. You could not be more right about Schenker.
Jason Becker -Nuff said

Damn, this is tough. I mean, I could name a bunch of guitarists that I think rock but, are they really good? Some of them just lay a mean rythm down that just makes the song. You know what I mean?

I think Tipton as a guitarist is underrated...not so much as a member of Priest.

Kevin Heybourne from Angel Witch, Mike from Destruction, and Piggy from VioVod(though finally more has been said...after his passing)
jump right to mind. Have to think about this a moment...

MyHatred said:
http://www.rickrenstrom.com/

I think my pick is the epitome of underrated guitarists. Seriously, check his site out and his MP3 that he has posted and tell me what you think:OMG: . To say that he's overcome adversity is like saying the surface of the sun is a little hot.

I saw him play with Rob Rock about five years ago. I was just blown away. He can shred with the best of them. Yes, everyone should check him out.

Buzzard said:
Kenny Ryan- Old tappan. New every TV theme show ever made.

But seriously here's mine. AL Dimeola

Al Dimeola, underrated? Maybe now, but not back in the day.

Kenny Ryan, definitely! Mallethead is the most underrated drummer.

Come on Billy, I thought you'd jump right on with Uli Jon. Who is more underrated than him? That guy is always passed right over.

Most overrated guitarist...Kirk Hammett....for sure!

fah-q said:
Jason Becker -Nuff said

I was leaning more towards guitarists the never got the recognition for their influence on the genre and other guitarists.

I thought of another one...Scott Gorham from Thin Lizzy...very influential riffs and harmonized leads. Thin Lizzy's Black Rose is an awesome album which featured another underrated guitarist in Gary Moore. Everyone knows him for his blues stuff now, but he did some great metal recordings...check out Victims of the Future...powerful stuff.