Ambient music

Feb 28, 2006
Pasadena, California
I've recently started listening to some ambient music (mostly organic soundscape based) and I don't really know many artists. This may not be the best place to ask but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways. Is there anyone here that could give me some artist recommendations?

Artists/groupes I already listen to:
Tangerine Dream
Brian Eno
Steve Roach
Robert Rich
Lustmord
Byla

Nothing might be a little hard to come by. Silence Came In Filling the Jagged Spaces er whatever it's called is absolutely phenomenal

some other dark ambient recs:
Coil
Gruntsplatter
Blood Box
Nurse With Wound
Elend
Future Sound of London
Raison D'Etre
Terminal Sound System

a good person to ask for more would be V.V.V.V.V. (V5 as I call him)...he's pretty knowledgable about all things ambient...except he's more into power electronics, so be careful with his recs if you do ask him

unknown said:
Nothing might be a little hard to come by. Silence Came In Filling the Jagged Spaces er whatever it's called is absolutely phenomenal

some other dark ambient recs:
Coil
Gruntsplatter
Blood Box
Nurse With Wound
Elend
Future Sound of London
Raison D'Etre
Terminal Sound System

a good person to ask for more would be V.V.V.V.V. (V5 as I call him)...he's pretty knowledgable about all things ambient...except he's more into power electronics, so be careful with his recs if you do ask him

Awesome, I'll check those out. Thanks.

Wasn't there a band called Nothing that one of the members of Agalloch was involved with? I can't imagine you're talking about the same group, though I have to say, Especially Likely Sloth was a bit of a suprise. heh

I've heard a little of Coil, but not enough to get a real opinion on them.

I don't know if i consider this ambient music but maybe dark electronica.
Pick up the collaboration cd of Dj Lustmord with The Melvins called
Pigs Of The Roman Empire you'll thank me later.

ResistExistence said:
Wasn't there a band called Nothing that one of the members of Agalloch was involved with? I can't imagine you're talking about the same group, though I have to say, Especially Likely Sloth was a bit of a suprise. heh

That's exactly who I'm talking about. JWW's project, Nothing. The last cd was absolutely amazing. It's nothing like ELS, trust me. The other Nothing cds are more of a mix of power electronics and noise with ambient touches. Except the first one The Grey Subaudible. I haven't heard that one

unknown said:
That's exactly who I'm talking about. JWW's project, Nothing. The last cd was absolutely amazing. It's nothing like ELS, trust me. The other Nothing cds are more of a mix of power electronics and noise with ambient touches. Except the first one The Grey Subaudible. I haven't heard that one

Oh wow, I'll definatly have to look for it.

a few good electronic based ambient projects I recommend

Healer - Higher Grounds / WonderGround
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden
The Kumba Mela Experiment - East of the River Ganges
The Infinity Project - Feeling Weird
Aluna - For the Love of the Deep Blue Sea
Ott - Blumenkraft
VA - Mystery Of The Yeti (Part 1 & 2)

Verwuestung said:
a few good electronic based ambient projects I recommend

Healer - Higher Grounds / WonderGround
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden
The Kumba Mela Experiment - East of the River Ganges
The Infinity Project - Feeling Weird
Aluna - For the Love of the Deep Blue Sea
Ott - Blumenkraft
VA - Mystery Of The Yeti (Part 1 & 2)

I think I'll check em out.

Yeah, those are all dark ambient, but Sephiroth also uses tribal music. There are a lot of very talented artists on there. My personal favorite so far is Mental Destruction. They call themselves 'orthodox industrial' and have released three cds; Straw, The Intensity of Darkness, and When Madness Strikes. It's pretty hard to find copies of them, but you should be able to find them on Soulseek or something. If not, I can always upload them to Fileden and send you the links.

Hmm, to name a few (several ;-) ) of whom I either know via forums/email:

Sophia (more martial than dark ambient IMHO but quite good)
Coph Nia (again same)
Kammarheit
Svartsinn
Northaunt
Nether
Profound as a Thousand Nights
Darkened Soul (my project)
Mired in Twilight (my new project ;-) )
Tho So Aa
Angel of Decay
Hollow Earth
Troum
Paradin
Oophoi (more space ambient, but deep drone stuff = excellent)
Nordvargr
Instincts
Visions
Lustmord
Arditii
and a bunch of others I can't think of off the top of my head.

As you can see I am very much into dark ambient and some martial stuff. All are quite good IMHO.

Mike / Darkened Soul / Mired In Twilight