...And Justice for All

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
After listening to "...And Justice for All" again after years, I realized how much I love this album and how it influenced me as a musician. I also LOVE the production and performance (so tight), although Jason had not the job being überpresent on this tune. Anyway..after listening to the single tracks, I guess he wasn´t that unimportant for the overall sound. Your opinion!?

Damn...1988 and it sounds so modern!

Don't like this one. I do love "Blackened" and "One", but am unable to listen to the remaining songs.
I dislike the way the album has been mixed, though I find the takes good.
Everything seems soooo dry !
And I feel the absence of Cliff Burton. I find the songs boring and messy, even if there are a lot of good riffs; a clear vision is missing.
I mean : Burton's presence and vision as a tallented arranger is missing.
But that's my opinion, and I know a lot of people loving it.

Don't like this one. I do love "Blackened" and "One", but am unable to listen to the remaining songs.
I dislike the way the album has been mixed, though I find the takes good.
Everything seems soooo dry !
And I feel the absence of Cliff Burton. I find the songs boring and messy, even if there are a lot of good riffs; a clear vision is missing.
I mean : Burton's presence and vision as a tallented arranger is missing.
But that's my opinion, and I know a lot of people loving it.

Oh, let me response to this, when I´m not drunk :lol: I know, a lot people don´t like the production. But I think, it was significantly affecting the future of modern metal in general. Would you confirm this, despite your personal opinion and taste?

It is exactly that album when I first realized of what is metal smells. I were a teenager whoes listen tapes with all that crapy shity noise on it.. But it was cool !!! And Justice sounds so massive even more metal than modern sound

FUCK YEAH.

Probably my most favourite album ever.
2 of my all time favs on there with blackened and dyers eve.
Also the production is überst nice, even for todays standards.
But everytime I give it a spin I feel the urge to cover it as whole, because I want to hear it with more modern sound and it would be über awesome :lol:

Goddamn I love that album.

FUCK YEAH.

Probably my most favourite album ever.
2 of my all time favs on there with blackened and dyers eve.
Also the production is überst nice, even for todays standards.
But everytime I give it a spin I feel the urge to cover it as whole, because I want to hear it with more modern sound and it would be über awesome :lol:

Goddamn I love that album.

:kickass:

But did you also realize, that there is one extremely deep bass frequence that really pumps the hell out of the speakers? I think, it´s the palm muted stuff. I wasn´t able to turn on the volume completely (on my home stereo), like I often do with other records.

One of the most influential albums of my generation (i'm 32) it was the 8o's 'sergeant pepper' in so many ways.

I understand all the reasons younger musicians have now to not like 80's and 90's metal and it's production, it's the same reason/s alot of people from my generation had for not liking 60's and 70's music. The Urge to fit in with the masses.
This disqualifies you from being a 'true' musician. I say this after having taught hundreds of kids ranging from 5 to 18 in schools for the past 14 years so I have seen every kind of attitude towards music and its various styles.

You may be the best shredder in the world, can cover any metal song ever written and have the perfect Pod Tact, BUT if you have ever said statements such as 'fuck man I hate (insert style of music here) It is shit, no one likes it, and fuck dude they can't even play I mean did you hear that gat solo, must have only been using about 4 notes, boring!'
Or something similar... Any way to me that person is not a true musician. Music appreciation is the first and most important rule of musicians club.
At least I hope its not to talk about musicians club otherwise I just broke the first rule of musicians club... twice. :Smug:

I do not mean you should love every style of music that we have, I am not even saying you have to LIKE them, but to say it is SHIT and to imply that a style or band had no real influence on them or others is just a narrow minded view on what is reality.
I think Jimi Hendrix is one of the greatest guitar players of all time.
I did not say he was the fastest because it takes more than speed to make you the best.
He did more than that, he brought guitar playing to the spotlight of the world, he pushed boundaries with sound, distortion and FX. He did not care what others were doing. So lets get to the point:
Jimi was a blues guitar player so the roots of HIS influences go back hundreds of years.
Jimi influenced a whole generation of new guitar players such as Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.
Joe taught Kirk Hammet...
He played on Justice...
Metallica influenced almost every single metal band in the world today and without their influence metal would not be covered in TACT.
It is quite possible to assume that without Jimi there would be no Metallica. Without Metallica where would metal be then? Doesn't that make Jimi pretty damned important to us all?
Just because you don't like something does not mean it is shit and un-important. Learn to appreciate other styles for what they are. Every style of music is hard in it's own way and takes a life time to master and therefore deserves respect. Think of it like family, blues is like the great, great, great grandfather of metal. We all have some family we don't like but we know without them we would not be here now.

This is one of those moments in music history, it pushed boundaries and influenced a whole generation. I love this album. :worship:

Just because you don't like something does not mean it is shit and un-important. Learn to appreciate other styles for what they are. Every style of music is hard in it's own way and takes a life time to master and therefore deserves respect. Think of it like family, blues is like the great, great, great grandfather of metal. We all have some family we don't like but we know without them we would not be here now.

your arguement is invalid.
proof:

guess i'm not a real musician....well, fuck that :D
btw, i dig the song....but respect? fuck no! :D :D :D

[i know you won't understand the lyrics, but just look at the video and listen to the voices, you'll get it anyways....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Growing conspiracy
Everyone's after me
Frayed ends of sanity
Hear them calling
Hear them calling MEEEEEEEEYAAAAH

One of the (few) reasons I like TBA is because most songs kinda sound like leftover Justice riffs put together.
And yeah, Justice is my favourite Met album, it's their most honest album and it's one of the most important albums of my life alltogether.
It has James's nastiest riffs and vocals on it coupled with some of his sweetest harmonised leads, it has Lars's most intricate drumming, it has some of Metallica's most punishing songs, and it has this gritty and engrossing atmosphere thanks to the bone-dry production. If MOP sounded grandiose and triumphant, Justice sounds like an open wound that wants you to understand its pain. A flawed masterpiece, but an amazing piece of work nonetheless. I luv Justice!

:kickass:

But did you also realize, that there is one extremely deep bass frequence that really pumps the hell out of the speakers? I think, it´s the palm muted stuff. I wasn´t able to turn on the volume completely (on my home stereo), like I often do with other records.

yeah but it doesnt stop me from blasting it through the stereo :headbang:

I was never a Metallica fan, so I'll only comment from a production POV.

It's a bit of a bizarre one. As said, really super dry, boomy, yet at the same time kind of indistinct sounding. By today's standards it would barely be considered a demo production IMO, but it has a decent vibe for the music, and given the way that metal of the era was generally being done, it's almost a miracle that anything is audible and punchy, so it does the job!

I think when it comes to landmark influential records like this, nostalgia starts to play a very big factor in peoples' perception of what it is down the track. I'm sure Metallica were a very influential band to the history of metal, but I think it took the Black album to really set a standard in regards to modern metal production.

yeah but it doesnt stop me from blasting it through the stereo :headbang:

Haha possibly one of the few albums worth to kill my stereo with!! :D

My faves are the first 3 songs (oh god how I dig em) & shortest straw and Dyer´s Eve. "One" is brilliant, but I´ve listened to this track a billion times, so it lost the magic a bit over the years.

And yeah I agree about the vocals, James Hetfield is....ahh no words :worship: Also Lars´s drumming is amazing. Sometimes it´s hard to believe, when seeing him on some lousy live moments.