Andy's Mesa Cab

cobhc

Amiga Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003
Nottingham, England.
This may have been discussed before (but it would take a long time to trawl through search results to find the answer!). Which Mesa Cab does Andy use? It is the Standard(Traditional/Stiletto) or Oversized(Rectifier), and it is slanted or straight front?

It's just that I'm looking at buying a Mesa cab, and I love how Andy's recordings sound with that cab.

i have 3, two straight stiletto and an oversized one. They all sound good, the mids are more pronounced on the stiletto so it all depends on the player and head on which I use.

I have found the oversized ones sound more scooped compared to the stiletto's, both are good though. How come like barely anyone has a straight Mesa cab? I have never seen one in the flesh.

For a good while, Mesa's oversized were always angled, even when they were "straight"...The box was square but it still had a slanted baffle.

The only truly straight Mesas I've seen have been Stiletto cabs (used to be called Traditional cabs, IIRC).

I believe that Mesa now makes a truly straight front oversized Recto cab as well.

For a good while, Mesa's oversized were always angled, even when they were "straight"...The box was square but it still had a slanted baffle.

The only truly straight Mesas I've seen have been Stiletto cabs (used to be called Traditional cabs, IIRC).

I believe that Mesa now makes a truly straight front oversized Recto cab as well.

Yep, I have one...:)

-Joe

I kinda want a traditional now... I love my oversized but it wouldn't hurt to have the best of both worlds.

~006

this may have been covered, but is there some advantage to slant over straight ??

I have a Mesa Oversize cabinet (previously owned by Jeff from Devildriver) and it's definitely my favorite cabinet I've ever used. I can see how it might be a bit bass-heavy for certain types of tones, although it's easy enough to roll that out of a mix.

Andy, would you be able to tell an album or two that you used the Oversized on?

I'm pretty close to getting the tone I want on mine, I'd just like a bit of a reference. I think it works well with a mid-heavy amp like the 5150.

-Joe

I have a Mesa Oversize cabinet (previously owned by Jeff from Devildriver) and it's definitely my favorite cabinet I've ever used. I can see how it might be a bit bass-heavy for certain types of tones, although it's easy enough to roll that out of a mix.

You better be impulsing the shit out of it for Recabinet! :)

This Godless Endeavor always struck me as more of a Stiletto tone. I've been terrible at picking amps/cabs lately so I'm likely wrong, though.

Seeing that the Stiletto cab wasn't released until 2 years ago (something like that), everything before 2006 is probably the Recto cab.

True, but it still could have been a regular traditional cab...same cab!

Post some clips with that M-II btw! :kickass:

-Joe