Angra vs Symphony X

If Angra is smart, they will leave SPV (or have left already) and will look for a new label which might explain the delay. I would have actually expected SymX to do the same but Century bought Inside Out and SymX is now in a good position. With SPV bankrupt though, they technically breached Angra's contract which means Angra can leave (and it's what they should do... who the hell would want to stay with a bankrupt label?!).

I didn't know SPV was broke, I thought they were being bought by Sony...

Well, I don't like Angra since the band split, so I couldn't care less when they're releasing something or not. This band's been dead for a long time, and are now trying its thrid come-back...not gonna work, IMO!!!

If you don't know Angra, the albums you should check are Angels Cry and Holy Land. Freedom Call isn't really an album but it's very good too :)

It's not true that the only Brazilian bands are Angra and Sepultura - those two are the ones with the biggest name abroad simply because they've been around long enough and had enough money and investors to spread the word. You guys should check Andre Matos, Viper, Dr. Sin, Wizards, the deceased Shaman (another Angra-case...), and so many other bands whose names aren't known for boycott reasons and/or lack of money (but not lack of talent, mind you!)

According to Kiko Loureiro's blog, Angra is already rehearsing for the new CD. Symphony X is probably a bit ahead in the process at this point but both releases are on their way.

I just Discovered Angra myself, and I have to say i like them a lot

Currently listening the heck out of Holy land, Specifically Carolina IV and Nothing to Say, I like the band's melodies and prefer both their older and newer vocalists over most other band's singers.

As for "which band will release first", it seems that since Angra already has Video updates on their album and more of and overall amount of material on the album, they'll likely release first.

i dont understand why peoplw dislike Edu's voice! i like him way better than Alllen, especially after Paradise Lost(too aggressive,less dynamics)!anyways, i sure both of the albums are gonna be kick ass!

i dont understand why peoplw dislike Edu's voice! i like him way better than Alllen, especially after Paradise Lost(too aggressive,less dynamics)!anyways, i sure both of the albums are gonna be kick ass!

I love Angra too, but you can't compare Edu with Allen. Edu had some good moments but he is a more generic power metal singer, and his voice has gotten worse in the last few years, unfortunately. Allen is truly one-of-a-kind.

Wow, that Wintersun is more of that chipmunk sounding stuff... glad I never threw any money down for that. Very comical sounding on these laptop "speakers"... and oh the growling... how intimidating and manly.

I'll be happy is Symphony X keeps their distance from power metal and Russell continues to sing with commitment and passion

Wintersun is not prefered to be played with laptop speakers. The Wintersun album has a lot of different stuff from fast paced riffing and melodies (Wintermadness, Starchild) to slower epic kind of things (Sleeping Stars, Death & The Healing, Sadness & Hate). I really really like the album even with it's flaws. I don't think it's chipmunk sounding stuff... Half the album isn't at all that fast in the first place.

And Jari made some of the best stuff Ensiferum ever released:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats better Wander, very celtic, I suppose I should still try that Wintersun CD just for a change... I seem destined for prog and old school metal, or back further to various channels of rock, blues and jazz.

Thats better Wander, very celtic, I suppose I should still try that Wintersun CD just for a change... I seem destined for prog and old school metal, or back further to various channels of rock, blues and jazz.

No medieval Mediterranean music? Best on the planet! :cool:

would that be flamenco ? If so yes... or does it need to be played on a mandolin ? not much mandolin music around here.. maybe I should look into that

Wintersun is not prefered to be played with laptop speakers. The Wintersun album has a lot of different stuff from fast paced riffing and melodies (Wintermadness, Starchild) to slower epic kind of things (Sleeping Stars, Death & The Healing, Sadness & Hate). I really really like the album even with it's flaws. I don't think it's chipmunk sounding stuff... Half the album isn't at all that fast in the first place.

And Jari made some of the best stuff Ensiferum ever released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-FEbdNTuk

This, and Jari has said (these are in MY words) that there will be more Death and the Healings and less Winter Madnesses. Thats good news for me at least.