any fans of jazz-fusion music?

Kenso

Juke Box Hero
Sep 18, 2006
zzz
although i enjoy progressive and power metal quite a bit fusion is definitely my favorite genre of music. jazz fusion, japense fusion, fusion metal what ever! i cant get enough

some of my fav bands/artists are
tribal tech/ scott henderson / gary willis
jonas hellborg
virgil donati
planet x
kenso (obviously)
cosmosquad
al di meola (the guitar trio for that matter)
zappa
return to forever
chick corea
allan holdsworth

oh god the list can go on and on

a few of jazz fusion artists are pretty closely linked with alot of progressive metal bands too.

planet x with derek sherinian, who is a former member of dream theater is an example. there are a bit of guitarists in metal bands who went off to make some fusion solo stuff.

anyways, i notice its not a genre ever really talked about on these boards, and rightfully so since it doesnt say jazzfusionpowerusa or something, but im just curious who else is a fan and familiar with some names from the genre/genres

How could you possibly leave The Mahavishnu Orchestra (McLaughlin/Cobham/Laird/Hammer/Goodman) off of this list? (and yet you have Hellborg...haha)

Heres a few of my favorites:

Dave Weckl Band
Chick Corea's Elektrik Band
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Acoustic Alchemy
Stanton Moore Trio
Alex Skolnick Trio
Billy Cobham
and SANTANA!

And I consider this some good fusion too:
moe.
Phish
String Cheese Incident
Galactic

How could you possibly leave The Mahavishnu Orchestra (McLaughlin/Cobham/Laird/Hammer/Goodman) off of this list? (and yet you have Hellborg...haha)

mahavishnu orchestra is great and all, but i think mclaughlin has put out much better material since then.

besides the horrible quality of vishnu always turned me off of it.

Oh yeah, in addition to those already mentioned, make
sure to check out Gamalon, Tony MacAlpine's work with
CAB, Brett Garsed with TJ Helmrich, and OHM with Chris
Poland. Just a few off the top of my head...

I love this kind of stuff. Picked up Art Metal at PP, haven't listened to it yet.

A surprising disc in this style was the Alan Morse (Spock's Beard guitarist) CD. I recommend checking it out. Very '70's fusion sound.

dt

Oh yeah, in addition to those already mentioned, make
sure to check out Gamalon, Tony MacAlpine's work with
CAB, Brett Garsed with TJ Helmrich, and OHM with Chris
Poland. Just a few off the top of my head...

oh shit! i didnt even know tony ever worked with those guys. uncle moes space ranch digssssssss

Dixie Dregs / Steve Morse

good man.

ill have to check out the rest, ive heard ponty, but not the others.

yea fusion has alot of different stuff in it, and to the guy i quoted earlier, not so sure if chris poland falls under fusion, but sure hes along those lines.

yea fusion has alot of different stuff in it, and to the guy i quoted earlier, not so sure if chris poland falls under fusion, but sure hes along those lines.

have you heard what he's done with his band, OHM? GREAT fusion stuff....I think that'd change your mind (if you haven't already heard it) as to whether or not you think he's a fusion player.

although i enjoy progressive and power metal quite a bit fusion is definitely my favorite genre of music. jazz fusion, japense fusion, fusion metal what ever! i cant get enough

some of my fav bands/artists are
tribal tech/ scott henderson / gary willis
jonas hellborg
virgil donati
planet x
kenso (obviously)
cosmosquad
al di meola (the guitar trio for that matter)
zappa
return to forever
chick corea
allan holdsworth

oh god the list can go on and on

a few of jazz fusion artists are pretty closely linked with alot of progressive metal bands too.

planet x with derek sherinian, who is a former member of dream theater is an example. there are a bit of guitarists in metal bands who went off to make some fusion solo stuff.

anyways, i notice its not a genre ever really talked about on these boards, and rightfully so since it doesnt say jazzfusionpowerusa or something, but im just curious who else is a fan and familiar with some names from the genre/genres

I've got a good friend in Austin, Tx who does a rock/jazz/blues/fusion thing
he's got a great ear for hooks and songwrting

Jake Owen

Exactly right, check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.myspace.com/chrispolandsohm

i guess this must be different from the chris poland solo cd i have, i forget the name of it but its quite a few years old.

there are lots and lots of fusion bands out there, if anyone here is a big fan feel free to add me on aim or msn or something, im always checking up on new stuff in this genre more than any other. besides it seems to be a genre lacking a strong fan base.

i guess this must be different from the chris poland solo cd i have, i forget the name of it but its quite a few years old.

there are lots and lots of fusion bands out there, if anyone here is a big fan feel free to add me on aim or msn or something, im always checking up on new stuff in this genre more than any other. besides it seems to be a genre lacking a strong fan base.

You probably have RETURN TO METALOPOLIS, the solo CD he did
after leaving Megadeth. Yeah, OHM is a completely different animal,
really good stuff. I have an interview with Chris coming up in
Detritus (ezine on Yahoogroups), I'll post it here when it is ready...