Any fans of other metal styles besides progressive/power metal?

Apr 10, 2004
:hotjump:

Well I personally enjoy many other types of metal such as Black metal, Death metal, thrash metal, doom metal, traditional metal, ect..ect...

Other Favorite bands of mine that are not progressive/power metal include Bathory, Morbid Angel, Judas Priest, Kreator, Deicide, Opeth, Moonspell, Burzum, Destruction, Obituary, Hypocrisy, Cryptopsy, Warlock & Doro Pesch, Vader, Borknagar, Krisiun, Dark Funeral, Dio, Death, Possessed, Nile, Satyricon, Dissection, Mayhem, The Haunted, Sodom, Celtic Frost, Impaled Nazarene, Judas Iscariot, Agalloch, Amon Amarth, Winds, Dark Angel, Testament, Exodus, Forbidden, Vio-lence, Dying Fetus, Kataklysm, Carnal Forge, ect..ect...

I like to what other types of metal or music ( in general ) that fans of prog/power enjoy!

I have to be honest, I am very close-minded when it comes to music, howvere, I am finding myself getting more and more into the bands that have female singers with sporadic death vocals throughout such as After Forever and Epica. Epica actually blew me away! I think they released an incredibly strong debut album with a perfect mix of clean and death vocals. And for some reason, the death vocals are not abrasive to me and actually fit the music really well.

Outside of ProgPower Metal, I enjoy Ambient stuff like Mortiis and Dargaard, True Black Metal such as my two favorites Nargaroth and Burzum, Death Metal such as Decapitated and Deicide, Classical in which my two favorites are Beethoven and Vivaldi, New Age such as some David Arkenstone and Yanni as well as other styles too that I cannot think of at the moment.

I love Melodic Death (Bodom, Kalmah, old In Flames, Norther, Dark Tranquillity, etc...), Thrash (Kreator, Susperia, Testament, Exodus, Invocator, etc...) some Gothic Metal (Sentenced, old Paradise Lost, Charon, etc....), Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, Machine Men, etc...), some melodic Black Metal (Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, etc...) and I am always open to different styles as long as it sounds good.

Thrash, alot of thrash, Swedish Death Metal is getting old now, everyones rehashing Slaughter of the Soul over and over and over, and Melodic Hard Rock. Bands like Dreamtide, Pretty Maids, Axxis, Jaded Heart, Bonfire, Pink Cream 69, Axel Rudi Pell. Hoohah

Ben

I grew up listening to the "classic" metal bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, etc. In the mid-eighties I discovered Bathory, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Possessed, Voivod... just to name a few. In 1987 I met the guys from Morbid Angel, and I've been traveling down the left hand path ever since. My faves nowadays include Decapitated, Dissection, Emperor, Gorgasm, Immortal, The Meads Of Asphodel, Pyaemia, Spawn Of Possession... you get the idea.

nightwish58 said:
I have to be honest, I am very close-minded when it comes to music, howvere, I am finding myself getting more and more into the bands that have female singers with sporadic death vocals throughout such as After Forever and Epica. Epica actually blew me away! I think they released an incredibly strong debut album with a perfect mix of clean and death vocals. And for some reason, the death vocals are not abrasive to me and actually fit the music really well.
Pick up the early and I do mean EARLY Theatre of Tragedy albums (Velvet Darkness they Fear being the prime choice). You'll love it, I'm pretty sure they were the pioneers of this style.

now to answer the thread topic..

I grew up on 80s metal, hair and heavier, and to this day the 80s-era of music remains my favorite, even the pop and new wave stuff.

Looking at my PC desk here's a stack of CDs I've been listening to;

Yes - 90125 (remaster w/ bonus tracks)
Probot
Damageplan - New Found Power
Warrior - the Wars of Gods & Men
WWIII - When God Turned Away
King Diamond - the Puppet Master
Force Of Evil
the Ultimate Yes 35th Anniv. Collection
Brides Of Destruction (new Tracii Guns / Nikki Sixx)
Rage - Soundchaser
Dreamscape - End of Silence

in the car I have the new Primal Fear, Soulfly, Aerosmith, the new Motorhead box set and every Alice Cooper album in the known universe.

I'm all over the map

I'm kind of with Daybreaker. MOST of what I listen to is melodic hard rock/metal and 80's. I love anything with either a great story in the song or a super catchy riff and/or singing line. I think "Stacy's Mom" is one of the best songs to come out in a long time! Some of my favorite bands: Cheap Trick, Danger Danger, SR-71, Freedom Call, Dragonforce, Heavenly, White Lion, Loud and Clear (AWESOME!), Bonfire...

Creeps said:
Pick up the early and I do mean EARLY Theatre of Tragedy albums (Velvet Darkness they Fear being the prime choice). You'll love it, I'm pretty sure they were the pioneers of this style.
Thanks bro, I will look into that as I always wondered who started that style. Now you have Within Temptation, After Forever, Epica, etc... However, i never listened to Theatre of Tragedy, but now realize I may be missing out on something I could potentially really like. I'll check it out and get back to you!!! LOL Thanks again.

nightwish58,

If you are interested in Gothic Metal you should check out the following:

Tristania
Sirenia
The Sins Of Thy Beloved
Lacrimosa (not much Metal, but the greatest)
Virgin Black (incredible)
Penumbra

A vast majority of what I listen to is not metal... prog rock bands like Anekdoten, King Crimson, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, PFM, Anglagard, Par Lindh Project, Solaris, Ergo Sum, Periferia del Mondo, Landberk, Tempus Fugit, etc...

I am a huuuuuuuuge Dave Matthews Band fan! I have all their discs...
If I were to listen of the non-metal stuff I listen to, it would take forever... Jamiroquai, Coldplay, System of A down, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Brazilian pop music, radiohead, newer The Gathering, Anathema, Antimatter, etc...

Regarding metal, I am not into a particular genre... As a matter of fact I don't like most of the bands in any spefic genre... I like some bands in each style of metal :)
I am not a big power metal fan in general, but I LOVE Angra and Angel Dust, for example...And that goes to all metal styles....
Prog Metal is probably my favorite metal style though :)

Creeps said:
...and every Alice Cooper album in the known universe.

The Coop rules. I've even got the vinyl from what I call the lost years. The 'Zipper Catches Skin and 'Special Forces' era Coop. My favorite is 'From the Inside'.

I listen to a lot of stuff outside the prog/power field. I don't like death vocals or any metal with rap vocals. I really prefer classic or traditional metal in the Maiden/Priest/Dio vein. Dio era Rainbow and old Purple are faves. Big southern rock fan - Blackfoot/Skynyrd/Hatchet - and the more blues based rock.

I also like a lot of country...real country, not the pop country that dominates radio these days. Haggard/Jennings/Cash/Kristoferson and those kinda guys. Roots music, alt. country or americana, whatever you choose to call it, I listen to alot. I like a lot of the singer-songwriters out of the Austin, Texas area. Joe Ely/Jimmie Dale Gilmour/Robert Earl Keen/Butch Hancock.

I listen to some oldschool stuff, but most of it is from the late 80's - early 90's like Metal Church (Howe era) and some thrash stuff. I grew up on stuff from the early 80's like classic Dio, Yngwie etc. but with the exception of Accept and just a handful of other releases by various bands, most of the early-mid 80's stuff sounds very dated to me.
I love to get an excuse to make an Accept plug though. I've been listening to "Metal Heart" for 20 years and it kicks my ass as hard today as it did back then. The same goes for "Balls to the Wall" but I think I bought that one only 19 years ago >:p~ Killer band. If I could play guitar and write riffs half as good as Wolf did, this world wouldn't be big enough for my ego.

Bryant