Are there by any chance Filipinos here?

Just to comment on the Death Angel discussion. Yup, we should be proud of those guys for being Filipinos and collectively being an awesome Filipino metal band. I have yet to score their comeback album "The Art of Dying" and eventhough it's not the all-out thrash album everyone was anticiapting, I'll still definitely check it out.

But do you know that not all of Death Angel are Filipinos? Singer Mark Osugueda is actually of El Salvadorean descent. I read this in an issue of Metal Rules (not related to the webzine/forum) magazine. The rest of the band are Filipinos however and are somehow related to each other. I even had a brief encounter with their former guitar player Gus Pepa who is now out of the music scene and is based here in the Philippines.

Young metalheads who are not familiar with Death Angel should definitely check them out. Here are their albums:

The Ultraviolence (1987) - widely hailed as one of the best thrash metal albums ever released. To this day, metalheads worship at the altar of such a great piece of recorded music. Listening to the album, Death Angel showed their youthful eagerness to dish out some of the fastest thrash there was. If you want to capture the essence of what made Death Angel great, this is the starting point you must set foot on.

Frolic Through the Park (1988) - somewhat of a let down compared to the sheer brilliance of the debut, Frolic is still a must hear for those tracking down the career of these Pinoys. This is my least favorite release by them. But then again, this album contains excellent tracks such as "Third Floor", "Devil's Metal" and "Shores of Sin" which make the cd a must have.

Act III (1990) - Death Angel's foray into the major labels was both a success and a failure. Success because they released their most mature-sounding release. This album showcased a more polished and stream-lined sound in addition to great songwriting. Thrashers like "Seemingly Endless Time" and "Stop" were evened out by the slower numbers like "Veil of Deception" and the great ballad "A Room With a View". Failure because this was the album that broke the band up. Major label hassles and an unfortunate road tour accident forced the band to split up. They would later reform in another form as The Organization but that band was musically inferior to Death Angel.

alvinbakal said:
I'd like to reintroduce myself to these forums. I'm a Filipino metalhead myself based in Antipolo. I post at the metal-rules and filipinometal forums as Mad Tyrant.

My favorite metal bands are: BATHORY, BURZUM, SUFFOCATION, BEHEMOTH, DARKTHRONE, MORBID ANGEL, CARCASS, DIMMU BORGIR, CRADLE OF FILTH, KREATOR.

I usually get my metal through online ordering. There is no hope to see metal releases getting the light of day in these shores.

Haha, yeah! Welcome back Alvinbakal! Go! Go! Go! Go! Mad Tyrant! pucha ikaw pala si Alvinbakal ha. Are you the one from Rumblebelly? Sorry but, I don't know much of Filipino metal bands that's why I signed up in Filipinometal. Yeah, I'm following your advise on online ordering dude... I just have to wait for bringer_of_war, cuz I don't want to have a credit card, it'll just annoy me...

Yeah Death Angel rules, I'm looking forward to have the Art of Dying too...

San ka sa Antipolo pre? (Where in Antipolo are you from, hehehe) Nice to see you come back again!

RosesofShadow said:
Haha, yeah! Welcome back Alvinbakal! Go! Go! Go! Go! Mad Tyrant! pucha ikaw pala si Alvinbakal ha. Are you the one from Rumblebelly? Sorry but, I don't know much of Filipino metal bands that's why I signed up in Filipinometal. Yeah, I'm following your advise on online ordering dude... I just have to wait for bringer_of_war, cuz I don't want to have a credit card, it'll just annoy me...

Yeah Death Angel rules, I'm looking forward to have the Art of Dying too...

San ka sa Antipolo pre? (Where in Antipolo are you from, hehehe) Nice to see you come back again!

He he. Nah, I'm not the same Alvin from Rumble Belly. He used to post here a couple of years back. He had his industrial band back then.

My place is in one of those villages along Marcos Hiway, just past Sta Lucia mall. Not really Antipolo town proper. Are you near the area?

There used to be a lot of Malaysians Indonesians and Singaporeans in this forum a couple of years back. I envied them because they had a very successful underground metal scene. Did you know Dark Funeral even played in Singapore, one of the most controlling countries in the world?

But our local metal scene is picking up. Have you checked out any of the local gigs in Freedom Bar and Caliente? We have a variety of great local metal bands.

thrash - END OF MAN, RESURRECTED, KRONOS, DEATH BY STEREO
death - FASTER THAN SATAN, MORTAL GRUDGE
grind - CONDEMNED, CHAMBER 69
doom/goth - SEA OF RAINS
prog metal - FUSEBOXX, ETERNAL NOW
traditional heavy metal/power metal - LAVOS BECKON
i don't know what kind of metal but they're still metal - DECEASED

alvinbakal said:
He he. Nah, I'm not the same Alvin from Rumble Belly. He used to post here a couple of years back. He had his industrial band back then.

Oh, i see, sorry.

alvinbakal said:
My place is in one of those villages along Marcos Hiway, just past Sta Lucia mall. Not really Antipolo town proper. Are you near the area?

What the? I'm sure you're near bringer_of_war's home, he's from Ligaya. I'm from Pateros btw...

alvinbakal said:
There used to be a lot of Malaysians Indonesians and Singaporeans in this forum a couple of years back. I envied them because they had a very successful underground metal scene. Did you know Dark Funeral even played in Singapore, one of the most controlling countries in the world?

Yeah, I read the pages here. Where are our Filipino UM metalheads here? Where have they gone? I know Iconoclast has his own site, like their music too... I didn't know Dark Funeral played there, at least there are metal bands there, we, we've got nothing, except us Filipino metal bands...

alvinbakal said:
But our local metal scene is picking up. Have you checked out any of the local gigs in Freedom Bar and Caliente? We have a variety of great local metal bands.

Nope. Not yet checked it. Not into going out at night, hehehe...

I'll reply to the bands later, okay, just have to do something...

Alvinbakal said:
thrash - END OF MAN, RESURRECTED, KRONOS, DEATH BY STEREO
death - FASTER THAN SATAN, MORTAL GRUDGE
grind - CONDEMNED, CHAMBER 69
doom/goth - SEA OF RAINS
prog metal - FUSEBOXX, ETERNAL NOW
traditional heavy metal/power metal - LAVOS BECKON
i don't know what kind of metal but they're still metal - DECEASED
black - FUNERAL FROST, 9TH CIRCLE PROPHECY, ARCHAIC ARGOT

Man, I only a heard a few of those bands, kill me please...

I've heard of End of Man and Faster than Satan, but i haven't bought it...

I have samples of Mortal Grudge, i kinda don't like them, hehehe... but I must listen to the full length before i judge right?

Yeah, Sea of Rains, heard them, must listen to them again though, cuz the sample i heard has crappy quality

That's what all i heard, but I do know Bane, Korihor, Kratornas, Human Mastication, Power tools, KNK, Skychurch (duh), Loads (sp?)of Motherhood and Iconoclast...

thanks for the recs man!

@RosesofShadow:

Ligaya? I'm near that place. I'm just further down the highway.

I have End of Man's EP and it's great. I also have Mortal Grudge's album and I don't like them much myself.

I used to like Skychurch but they've sadly degenerated into a metalcore band.

Where'd you get Bane's EP? I used to have mp3s of it in my hard drive until my pc crashed last year.

Btw, I know a place where you can get original metal cds in Metro Manila. Check out Disc Exchange along Connecticut st. near Greenhills. It's on the right side if you're coming from EDSA. Most of the stuff they have are power metal. But they the occasional thrash/death/black metal titles. I scored cds from Marduk and Mayhem (the infamous Dawn of the Black Hearts live bootleg) back when the shop was in Virramall.
They also have tons of LPs mostly old titles.

^ Yeah, he's near that place also...

Dammit, i must have bought that End of Man's EP! Hehe, don't like Mortal Grudge either...

Yeah, used to like them too... their music is good and the drummer is awesome too...

Disc Exchange? Yeah, definitely gonna check that out! How much is the average price of one CD? Do they have some obscure bands also?

RosesofShadow:

The average price of a cd at Disc-Exchange is between 650-700. I've noticed though that some of the cds are on sale and have been discounted. I got Queensryche's "Queen of the Reich" for 440 bucks there.

They don't carry obscure titles that much.

They take orders for cds and it's mainly sourced from Japan. Which is why the price of the cd is more expensive if you order from them.

alvinbakal said:
The average price of a cd at Disc-Exchange is between 650-700. I've noticed though that some of the cds are on sale and have been discounted. I got Queensryche's "Queen of the Reich" for 440 bucks there.

They don't carry obscure titles that much.

They take orders for cds and it's mainly sourced from Japan. Which is why the price of the cd is more expensive if you order from them.

But, are the death and black metal albums there plenty as well? Ok, I definitely gonna check that out and see if there are albums that might interest me. Sad that, they mainly sell power and progressive though.

And how much when you order from them? And how long does it take? Is it like Metaldisc? Do they find you obscure titles?

Nah, tsambahan lang ang death and black metal titles dun. There are some cds that are consigned to them kasi. But from what I've observed, prog and power mainly ang titles nila (Gamma Ray, Helloween).

A friend told me na pinakamura na ang 1300 per cd pag umorder ka. Mahal kasi sa Japan galing. I haven't tried ordering there myself so I don't know how long it'll take.

RosesofShadow said:
:erk: I assume the owner of the store is mainly a prog and power fan... but if i do go to greenhills one day, I'll check it out...

What the? 1300? That's very expensive i must say... Better to order in Metaldisc rather than that store...

Are you in a band now alvin?

The owner is Japanese. I think the reason why he stocks more power metal titles is 'coz that genre is huge in Japan.

Yeah very expensive. But I suggest if you're in the area, you check it out. You might get lucky and chance upon a title thats' worth buying.

Nah, I'm not in a band. I'm busy with my call center work.

Hey Pinoy metalheads!

I dunno if you noticed but there are a handful of metal dvds being sold locally. You won't find it in the major record bars. It's being sold by our enterprising brothers and sisters from the south (alam nyo na siguro sinasabi ko).

I was at Marikina Riverbanks yesterday and I got for myself Death's Live in LA dvd as well as Behemoth's The Art of Rebellion dvd. In my previous trips there I got for myself Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio and Raising Hell and Nuclear Blast's Death is Just the Beginning dvds. They sell them from as low as 75 to 100 bucks.

Other titles I saw:

SLAYER - Still Reigning (the entire Reign in Blood album played in its entirety! I have this already and I got mine online. Nagsisisi tuloy ako.)

METALLICA - Live Shit: Binge and Purge (finally in dvd form. I have it in VHS babalikan ko to.).

METALLICA - Cunning Stunts

SEPULTURA - Chaos DVD

SKID ROW - I forgot the title

RUSH - Live in Rio (I know, not really metal but they're cool and they're an influence to a lot of metal bands.)

WASP - i forgot the title again

DREAM THEATER - Live Scenes