Atlanta sushi recommendations

Aug 1, 2005
Batavia, IL
www.myspace.com
Pretty straight forward, just looking for any sushi recommendations for Atlanta. Will be getting in on Wednesday afternoon but not attending the Oliva show. Sushi will be filling that void for me, instead. Staying at Granada, so if there's something even close by that would be great.

For the money, you can't beat Ru-San's ala cart or their 11am-2pm buffet. $1.00 california rolls(3 pcs), $1.50 rock'n'rolls(3 pcs), and $1.00 nigiri(1 pc). If you go there I recommend the Cajun roll, the Spicy Tuna roll, the Spicy Aoili Scallop roll, these are all $1.00 for 3 pieces.

I've heard MF Sushi was pretty good but I've never been there. There is a place called "Sushi Yoko" off peachtree industrial and 285 that has good sushi and more traditional Japanese food, there is also a Japanese grocery store attached to the side if you want snacks or instant ramen bowls or whatever.

Ru San's may not be the best sushi in Atlanta(depending on who you ask) but it's not the worst either, I'd rate it a 75 out of 100 and it depends on that particular days experience, sometimes they are 100 out of 100 with the quality of the fish. Also the quality varies between the buffet and when you order piece meal. The reason we like it is because 2 people can load up on Sushi for about $20.00-$30.00 including tip where as other places your paying $6.00-$8.00 for one roll (4-6 pieces) and $2-3 for nigiri (1-2 pieces). The buffet is like $12.95 and has fried calmari and other stuff besides sushi.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a trendy place they just opened up a Geisha House resturaunt here, I forgot what that area was called (morning brain fart). I think you would be paying more for the trend then food you are getting at this place though as it seems very pricey for sushi.

We don't eat sushi as much as we used too though, we got sick of eating it so much and asian food in general. We'd always have Korean BBQ or Japanese or Tofu Soup. Now we keep going to The Highlander for their burgers and specials of the day, last time we were there they had this awesome catfish stuffed with a crawfish stuffing on a bed of spinach in a lemon butter sauce, Gordon Ramsey would be all giddy and shit. It was really good and amazing if you consider this is bar food technically.

My cousin took my mom and I to a fantastic sushi place two years ago, but I can't remember what it was called. And I know if I say it was located on "Peachtree" it's not very helpful. :(

EVERY year, I come down with the intention of getting sushi at least once while in Atlanta, but still have never made it. I know that Matt Crooks (ex-Division) typically hits up someplace that is effectively within walking distance, but don't remember the name. Perhaps he'll chime in here. I'm sure it is on one of the many Peachtree Streets. :lol:

EVERY year, I come down with the intention of getting sushi at least once while in Atlanta, but still have never made it. I know that Matt Crooks (ex-Division) typically hits up someplace that is effectively within walking distance, but don't remember the name. Perhaps he'll chime in here. I'm sure it is on one of the many Peachtree Streets. :lol:

City Garden maybe? Not quite walking distance, it's several blocks past the Krogers. we usually eat there at least twice every year.

If you want good nigiri and sashimi and you are not on a budget, Nickimoto's at 10th and Piedmont is very good. However, if you want unhealthy delicious rolls for cheap, you can't beat Ru San's (my favorite is the one with spicy tuna and cream cheese that is then tempuraed and covered with aioli).

Robin

Nickimoto's is awesome, there's also MFSushi (I think that's the name) on Ponce by the Olde Spaghetti Warehouse. They're a bit more on the pricier side, but good. There's also a Whole Foods on W. Paces Ferry and P'tree that has good sushi, go around lunch time, when they're making it, if possible. The places my roommate recommends is Sushi Avenue in Decatur (it's on the East-West line to the Decatur Station). There's a location right outside of the exit.

Sushi Avenue is pretty good, but if I'm going to go out of my way for sushi/Japanese food in the Atlanta area I go to Umezono in Marietta. By far the most authentic Japanese food around. They have a large menu full of stange things I've never seen anywhere else (even out here on the west coast). They also have private back rooms where you sit close to the floor and have to take your shoes off.
When I go there I get the Udon (the noodles are home made); it is amazing. All the employees are Japanese and the restaurant is next to a Japanese market, so you know it is authentic. Any locals who haven't been there should try it....

Robin

I really like Ru San's in buckhead. They aren't exactly traditional, but they do have traditional sushi available. They are real good at describing what you are ordering and the Udon is pretty darn yummy as well. Wash it al down with a few pints of Asahi!:kickass:

I really like Ru San's in buckhead. They aren't exactly traditional, but they do have traditional sushi available. They are real good at describing what you are ordering and the Udon is pretty darn yummy as well. Wash it al down with a few pints of Asahi!:kickass:

The Ru San's in midtown is better (IMO). The Ru San's in Buckhead always seems to be filled with smelly people from the crunch gym next door every time I went there :zombie:. Although I haven't be back for years...

The Ru San's in Marietta also has great hibachi; it is very affordable (for hibachi).

Robin

For the money, you can't beat Ru-San's ala cart or their 11am-2pm buffet. $1.00 california rolls(3 pcs), $1.50 rock'n'rolls(3 pcs), and $1.00 nigiri(1 pc). If you go there I recommend the Cajun roll, the Spicy Tuna roll, the Spicy Aoili Scallop roll, these are all $1.00 for 3 pieces.

I've heard MF Sushi was pretty good but I've never been there. There is a place called "Sushi Yoko" off peachtree industrial and 285 that has good sushi and more traditional Japanese food, there is also a Japanese grocery store attached to the side if you want snacks or instant ramen bowls or whatever.

Ru San's may not be the best sushi in Atlanta(depending on who you ask) but it's not the worst either, I'd rate it a 75 out of 100 and it depends on that particular days experience, sometimes they are 100 out of 100 with the quality of the fish. Also the quality varies between the buffet and when you order piece meal. The reason we like it is because 2 people can load up on Sushi for about $20.00-$30.00 including tip where as other places your paying $6.00-$8.00 for one roll (4-6 pieces) and $2-3 for nigiri (1-2 pieces). The buffet is like $12.95 and has fried calmari and other stuff besides sushi.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a trendy place they just opened up a Geisha House resturaunt here, I forgot what that area was called (morning brain fart). I think you would be paying more for the trend then food you are getting at this place though as it seems very pricey for sushi.

We don't eat sushi as much as we used too though, we got sick of eating it so much and asian food in general. We'd always have Korean BBQ or Japanese or Tofu Soup. Now we keep going to The Highlander for their burgers and specials of the day, last time we were there they had this awesome catfish stuffed with a crawfish stuffing on a bed of spinach in a lemon butter sauce, Gordon Ramsey would be all giddy and shit. It was really good and amazing if you consider this is bar food technically.

Cajun roll? That sounds yummy...