Attention Iced Earth Fans

I dunno, I think Ripper suits Schaffer's current vision of the band much better than Barlow. Maybe the rest of the new album will be better than the one new track we got, but I can't say I'd want to hear a Barlow re-recording of FA or anything. Barlow was just singing along to Ripper's part, while when Ripper re-recorded the Something Wicked trilogy, he took the vocals, started from scratch, and made them his own.

Maybe the new album will be better than I expect it to be, we'll see.

Ummm... no. He just sung along to Matt's parts too, and quite poorly at that. Don't get me wrong, i'm a Ripper fan all the way but his interpretation of the Something Wicked trilogy was embarressing.

I dunno, I think Ripper suits Schaffer's current vision of the band much better than Barlow. Maybe the rest of the new album will be better than the one new track we got, but I can't say I'd want to hear a Barlow re-recording of FA or anything. Barlow was just singing along to Ripper's part, while when Ripper re-recorded the Something Wicked trilogy, he took the vocals, started from scratch, and made them his own.

Maybe the new album will be better than I expect it to be, we'll see.

The re-recorded SW Trilogy was revamped to sound completely different than the original, and more in line with what we'd hear on Framing Armageddon. Ripper didn't do anything to that song by himself. Jon writes everything, including the vocal melodies for each Iced Earth song, regardless of the singer.

Ummm... no. He just sung along to Matt's parts too, and quite poorly at that. Don't get me wrong, i'm a Ripper fan all the way but his interpretation of the Something Wicked trilogy was embarressing.

Amen.

The re-recorded SW Trilogy was revamped to sound completely different than the original, and more in line with what we'd hear on Framing Armageddon. Ripper didn't do anything to that song by himself. Jon writes everything, including the vocal melodies for each Iced Earth song, regardless of the singer.

I don't think enough people are aware of this. Actually, I think Matt has contributed some melodies (Ghost of Freedom, etc.).

Absolutely not. You either went into hearing Overture of the Wicked expecting failure, or you're simply basing it on what Matt did. Ripper isn't Matt, and he didn't try to be. When Matt went back to try to sing Ripper's material, he did just that, he tried to sing Ripper's material.

Whether you want to attribute what happened to the vocalists themselves or just Jon Schaffer, the point is that the I Walk Alone single sounds like Matt Barlow trying to sing like Tim Owens and falling flat on his face. Overture of the Wicked sounded like Tim Owens singing like Tim Owens.

Absolutely not. You either went into hearing Overture of the Wicked expecting failure, or you're simply basing it on what Matt did. Ripper isn't Matt, and he didn't try to be. When Matt went back to try to sing Ripper's material, he did just that, he tried to sing Ripper's material.

Whether you want to attribute what happened to the vocalists themselves or just Jon Schaffer, the point is that the I Walk Alone single sounds like Matt Barlow trying to sing like Tim Owens and falling flat on his face. Overture of the Wicked sounded like Tim Owens singing like Tim Owens.

Exactly your totally right. And I completely agree. I walk alone is a Ripper song not a Barlow song. The Clouding was definitely meant for Barlow's voice. I hope Schaffer doesnt do this Ripper writing on the new album now that he has Barlow again.

I hope Schaffer doesnt do this Ripper writing on the new album now that he has Barlow again.

As this is a PYRAMAZE-forum I don't want to say too much about Iced Earth, but I believe Jon Schaffer has already written (most of) the new album before Matt returned. Therefore the songs will be again written for Ripper's voice. And I can't imagine that Jon starts writing amazing songs like Pure Evil, Dracula or the original Something-Wicked-Trilogy again. That's why I do not expect too much of the new album. Still somehow I like the new song though any part sounds so damn familiar.

But enough about IE:
*chanting* PYR-A-MAZE :headbang: PYR-A-MAZE :headbang: PYR-A-MAZE :headbang:

I don't dislike the music because of Matt's singing at all.
If their's anything positive to say I think that it's the point that all the criticism that Matt couldn't reach the highs Ripper does and is technically less than Ripper is totally unfounded.
I think he is the only thing that is making uninteresting songs a little interesting just with his sound.
On past samples of Ripper doing Matt-IE songs, especially the trilogy..I found the Ripper approach extremely pathetic.
And I can't even sympathize with someone who says that non-tenor voices aren't good in the highs or falsetto and that they never stand a chance...
He said that when he joined IE once...it seemed very arrogant and disrespectful to Matt. Matt is the living proof that even Bass-baritones can reach great highs. And I prefer the falsetto's of the deeper voices since they seem to have much more color and a much wider sound in the falsetto. But that's a matter of taste I think.
Anyway Matt showed that he can reach the notes AND put emotion in it. And I am sure he can show that HE can do ripper songs live without being out of key.

I really didn't want to get into the Matt vs Ripper discussion...but I'm just sick how ppl kept saying that he couldn't approach Ripper if he rejoined ...and he's just proven that he does! I just don't like the songs because of Jon's different songwriting and because he doesn't give singers any freedom...and that sucks Jonny-boy...so wake the hell up and listen to what Matt did on the Pyramaze samples!!!
And now I'm gonna kick some random items in my living room!! :p

And I prefer the falsetto's of the deeper voices since they seem to have much more color and a much wider sound in the falsetto.

Me too! :)

I just don't like the songs because of Jon's different songwriting and because he doesn't give singers any freedom...and that sucks Jonny-boy...so wake the hell up and listen to what Matt did on the Pyramaze samples!!!

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

As this is a PYRAMAZE-forum I don't want to say too much about Iced Earth, but I believe Jon Schaffer has already written (most of) the new album before Matt returned. Therefore the songs will be again written for Ripper's voice.

Absolutely incorrect. See my post on the first page - Jon writes a melody, period. He doesn't write a specific melody for one singer, and a different melody for another. He's stated this in numerous interviews over the past 5-7 years.

Ripper sang the same melodies on The Glorious Burden that Matt would have sung. Their voices are different, but the melody isn't.

He doesn't write a specific melody for one singer, and a different melody for another.

This is not what I meant! Don't you think when Jon Schaffer writes a song he bears in mind who will sing it? I don't mean that he would write a totally different vocal line, but I think the whole atmosphere that he wants to create within a song may be affected by knowing that it will be sung by Ripper or by Matt. In my opinion Framing Armageddon suits Ripper's voice quite well (except for The Clouding) whereas The Glorious Burden would have been much better if it was sung by Matt (especially the trilogy). So for me it seems as if Ripper's voice has affected his songwriting.

Sounds like good old Iced Earth to me!
I don't think it's fair that people compare Ripper's voice to Matt's,cause they're clearly different and excellent in their own style.
Ripper tore the skies with his high pitched screams and Matt shakes the ground with his monstrous growls!

I'll have to agree with you on that one,Matt's highs are awesome but not nearly as high or controlled as Ripper's,but still fucking awesome damnit!!\m/

Honestly, I still like Matt's highs more than Ripper's. I can't put my finger on it but there's something about Ripper's voice that I don't like, even the high stuff. There are still songs he sounds good on, but I think that in almost every song Matt sounds better, he just has an amzing quality to his voice.

I like both singers...but there's definitely something special & unique about Matt's voice...it's versatile, powerful, and dripping with emotion.

Matt gives the songs Character. And that Character of his is absolutely AWESOME. The Clouding with Matt so far is so uplifting and makes me feel at ease that he has come back full force. Its by far my FAVORITE song on the EP.