Attn: Lovecraft (or other horror writers) fans

TearsToShreds

New Metal Member
Feb 18, 2008
Apeldoorn, Gelderland
Seeing as this board has quite a few Lovecraft fans, I figured I'd recommend Mark Z. Danielewski's book "House of Leaves". It is really, really hard to describe this book, but the basic plot is:

(Mostly copied from Wikipedia)
House of Leaves begins with a first-person narrative by Johnny Truant, a Los Angeles tattoo parlor employee. Truant is searching for a new apartment when his friend Lude tells him about the apartment of the recently deceased Zampanò, a blind, elderly man who lived in the same building as Johnny's friend, Lude.

In Zampanò's apartment, Truant discovers a manuscript written by Zampanò that turns out to be a very academic study of a documentary film called The Navidson Record, about a house that is bigger on the inside than on the outside (!).

The rest of the novel alternates between Zampanò's report on the fictional film, Johnny's autobiographical interjections, a small transcript of part of the film from Navidson's brother, Tom, a small transcript of interviews to many people regarding The Navidson Record by Navidson's partner, Karen, and occasional brief notes by unidentified editors, all woven together by a mass of footnotes. There is also a fourth narrator, Johnny's mother, whose voice is presented through a self-contained set of letters titled The Whalestoe Letters. Each narrator's text is printed in a distinct font, making it easier for the reader to follow the occasionally challenging format of the novel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been lurking on the forum for quite a while and I'm suspecting xfer would really love this.

(BTW, if I remember correctly Isis' album Panopticon was partially inspired by this book.)

I heard this was good, but I heard it from a guy whose favorite author is Chuck Palahniuk, so I'm afraid I didn't give it much credence. I never heard it described as horror or Lovecraftian, though, which makes me more interested in it!

I read this book when I was a sophomore in high school and it scared my pants off.

I supposed it is sorta Lovecraftian.
He definitely copped a lot of his tricks off Borges.
Some things are very "whoa, extreme" in the Mountain Dew sense.
My semiotics professor in college liked to pick on it a lot, so that kinda colored my memory of the book.
And I never read his second book, but I would be interested in doing so if I weren't busy reading other books.

Anyway, it is cool. But not as cool as "If on a winter's night, a traveller".

I'm sure this book would be described as 'pretentious' and all the footnotes and endless amounts of references called meaningless and tedious, but in a way, that is the whole point of the book. It's so dense with information and it all comes down to nothing tangible, but that's what it's about... Losing contact with the physical world, shaking off all your preconceived notions about the world around you and in a way losing control. It's about that fear and anxiety lurking over your shoulder, like a shadow, and you know it's there, you just can't see it.

Or something like that. I don't know enough about literature to judge this as a quality work of art, I do know that it really intrigued me.

(Also, I must admit that Fight Book was pretty decent, but I've never read Palahniuk's other works... *hides*)

whatever, "pretentious" is a fake word, and I think probably the greatest book ever written (Pale Fire) is told through footnotes and endnotes and whatnot as well. I'd have no problem with that (and I don't think my friend who read this would tolerate it for a second if he scented pretention).

I liked the movie Fight Club but didn't read it; I read 2 other Palahniuk books and they are the most poorly-written pieces of crap ever. don't waste your time.

Well yeah, that's exactly why I hate it when people use that word when describing this book. (And I've seen this happen quite often)

And thanks for the recommendation, it looks interesting from what I've seen.

Ah, I'm glad I never went through those kinds of classes.

Btw, if that Palahniuk fan ever compared HoL to the writings of Palahniuk, that's maybe somewhat understandable. However, Palahniuk, to me, always seemed to treat his characters with contempt and moral condescension, none of which are apparent in HoL.

All the writers I've heard compared to Lovecraft's style all ended up being terrible. Though that was mostly the after-his-death mythos writers like August Derleth who were terrible writers no matter the subject matter.

Stephen King's "Lovecraft style" stories suck too :(

I've heard about House of Leaves so I guess I'll check it out

After reading a lot of Lovecraft and Melville's Moby Dick + listening to KD I came up with drawing this:

Untitled_by_TearsToShreds.png