avant garde metal

MasterOLightning said:
Ihsahn has a forthcoming solo (metal) album. Should be worth a listen.

I'll never be able to remember where i found it but i found a page with so bloke reviewing that ages back. Apparently it got leaked to him or he's a friend or something. Anyhow he slated it. Said Ihsahn's vocals are shite these days. I just hope they're not dissapointing live. :(

What the fuck am i saying it's Emperor simly being in the same room as them will be enough.

I doubt they'll make a new record.

There again i said they'd never reform or even release at greatest hits album.

How wrong was i?

There are those who would say the sold out. But i really couldn't give a shit and if they give me hassle i'll burn down their church!

Eitherway, aye Prometheus (the stuff i've heard was pretty experimental, with the emphasis on mental). Anthems is my personal favorite, but they were getting increasingly experiemntal on Equilibrium.

Prometheus was just the culmination of a lot of years of wanting to go completely crazy on a record. was good though.

MasterOLightning said:
Ihsahn has a forthcoming solo (metal) album. Should be worth a listen.
I heard that Mike might have a guest spot on that (specifically, his Wikipedia entry, which doesn't list a source - who knows?).

-Vintersorg- said:
i CNAFR BE fuvcked reading th rest of this trhead but siolefald is allll that somec to midn,.. i am obsesse d with red or fire atm t he moment

DRUNK POST FUCK YEAH :headbang:

Sexy_Grandpa said:
I always thought of Avante-Garde as Mike Patton type stuff like Mr Bungle or Fantomas.

Could Cephalic Carnage be considered as Avante Garde?

Yeah CG are pwetty fucked up...in musical way...not sure I like em though.

Liquid Diamonds said:
LUCKY BASTARD!!!!

:)

You wouldn't, by any chance, remember the setlist would you?

I took the setlist off the wall at the show. Here it is, in order:

Ad Absurdum
Nightmare Heaven
Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer
-Sverd keyboard show off, 2 minutes-
Alone
Deception Genesis
Chaos Path
-Tore Guitar show off, 2 minutes-
Deamonpainter
Nocturnal Vision Revisited
Painting My Horror
Hufsa
Master of Disguise
-Knut Guitar Show off, 2 minutes-
White Noise Monster
Reflections
Raut & Svart

Total time, 1 hr and 15mins.

They played everything except Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer...I don't know why they skipped it...time constraints most likely. But the show was complete with female dancers, great lighting, and the band came out in full costume. It was a great show overall.

that sounds awesome, i wish i could learn to use synths like sverd =( tho ill prolly just stick to guitars

Devy_Metal said:
I took the setlist off the wall at the show. Here it is, in order:

Ad Absurdum
Nightmare Heaven
Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer
-Sverd keyboard show off, 2 minutes-
Alone
Deception Genesis
Chaos Path
-Tore Guitar show off, 2 minutes-
Deamonpainter
Nocturnal Vision Revisited
Painting My Horror
Hufsa
Master of Disguise
-Knut Guitar Show off, 2 minutes-
White Noise Monster
Reflections
Raut & Svart

Total time, 1 hr and 15mins.

They played everything except Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer...I don't know why they skipped it...time constraints most likely. But the show was complete with female dancers, great lighting, and the band came out in full costume. It was a great show overall.

Cheers man :)
Looks like a great setlist to me. There are a couple of songs that aren't on it that I would love to see them do ('Radical Cut', 'To Thou Who Dwellest In The Night', 'Of Nails And Sinners'). But it's awesome that they played 'Nocturnal Vision Revisited', that's a personal favourite off the new album, and I wouldn't have expected it live. And I'd love to see Sverd do a keyboard solo.
I hate living in Scotland, because even though Glasgow is the second biggest city in the UK, very few underground bands ever make it there. *sigh*

i mean, i know there are places u can go and learn to play keys and stuff,,but ive never seen a place where they teach you how to use synths and loops etc,,i wonder if its like,self taught all that kinda stuff

I wanted to hear 'To Thou Who Dwellest In The Night,' Radical Cut and a few others, too. I read in Terrorizer that theyre thinking of putting on a show where they play every song they've ever done. Like "An evening with Arcturus" theme where they play all their albums and have different stage props and shit for each album. I'd hop on a plane for that show if it ever happened...

Oh, and they're already working on their followup to SS and I believe a DVD is lurking, too...

The thing with Sverd is that, while there are technically better keyboard players out there, hardly anyone comes close to his feel. Not only can he come up with awesome key/synth lines that are catchy, but they're powerful as well. In Evacuation Code Deciphered when Simon sings the verse "two dried bugs trapped in the same web"...etc - all the way to "we will live again, without rebirth" the keys that immediately follow that are so fucking awesome. The heavy riff underneath fits it perfectly. It makes me feel like I'm flying through space!

rammpeth said:
i mean, i know there are places u can go and learn to play keys and stuff,,but ive never seen a place where they teach you how to use synths and loops etc,,i wonder if its like,self taught all that kinda stuff

Well, see, people generally learn to play keys in a much different way to other instruments. It's much more prescribed and a lot less flexible. Anyone who teaches themselves to play piano well is a genius. However, the way piano is taught as a general rule is quite exclusive, and can stifle creativity. No-one has ever taught me how to play keys creatively. I'm having to try and teach myself, and even though I've been playing the damn thing for 10 years, it's a total bitch.

sure is, developing your style on keys is harder than on guitar, at least on my expierience