Bands/Trends you believe had a negative impact on Metal

Vamos

Oct 21, 2006
Which bands, artists or trends do you believe had a negative impact on metal? Be it a new trend some artist started, poor copy cats of great bands, bands or artists who misunderstood the ideas behind others, etc.

I am no fan of BM but having seen the "Until The Light Takes Us" documentary recently, it seems that the whole breed of BM bands that emerged after Darkthrone/Burzum with the whole Satanic thing was overall a bad trend without which BM would have probably been better off.

poor copy cats of great bands

I don't really think, that poor copycats tend to have much impact on anything.

I am no fan of BM but having seen the "Until The Light Takes Us" documentary recently, it seems that the whole breed of BM bands that emerged after Darkthrone/Burzum with the whole Satanic thing was overall a bad trend without which BM would have probably been better off.

Well, that's basically 95% of black metal nowadays :rolleyes: Burzum and Darkthrone essentially created the modern black metal.

Anyways, for me Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth are the worst thing, that has happened to black metal (not saying, that those bands totally suck, but speaking of their impact on the genre). They sparked the idea, that black metal could be made appealing to masses and use it's "evilness" as a selling point.

Other ones being all those rap-/nu-metal pioneers which started the second shittiest metal genre of all time, luckily that trend is dying. Worst thing is probably Meshuggah, which is the forefather of djent, chugga-chugga and all that other shit.

Black metal with all of its hypocritical anti-trend trend bands.

for me bands that thought making melodic death metal meant taking watered down at the gates riffs and making whole albums out of it

the other thing would be progressive metal meaning bands that sound like dream theater, even though progressive can be way more expansive then that

I'll state the obvious: Metallica for commercializing metal (and for releasing a ton of crap albums and only a few good but overrated ones).

Not disputing your claim or anything but in what way do you think Metallica commercialized metal?

"Scenes" in general. They are created because a select few innovative bands are followed my a myriad of sub-par ones, which results in metal labels promoting derivative and uninteresting ones over creative ones which have the misfortune of not being located in California or Florida.

Black Metal for all the craps related to (real or sometimes even FAKE nazism, FAKE Euronymous' communism, real Satanism (a bullshit), murders et cetera).

EDIT: more correct terms (2 were inverted, like the cross :heh:)

People who claim that a band's only good album is their first few (or only their first in some cases) and disregarding the rest of the material

Oh, we're not talking about things that have had a negative impact on the forums. My bad.

;)