Bass Heads!

Deebo

Dirty Man-Horse
Jan 14, 2008
Utah
Hey everybody I took everyone's advice and I'm just gonna Use My Behringer 8x10 as a practice amp cuz we are tired of hauling it up the stairs. So I was wondering a couple of things first I was looking at the Ampeg B410HE 4X10 Speaker Cab and was wondering if that has enough power to play at a show. I play shows ranging from 40 people to 300 people and from small clubs to pretty good size venues. Also I am looking for a good head to go along with it My price range is 100 - 800 dollars. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys!

Depends on style of music, but I like the older Trace Elliot head (like GP7SM below) in that price range, but you propably can only find them used nowadays, the model that they sell now is AH500-7, which costs about $1000

trace-gp7sm-130.jpg

A used SVT3pro is an awesome choice in that price range. I bought one used and had it for ten years before I sold it (for more than I paid for it). It was reliable and sounded good. I really have nothing but good things to say about that head.
A 4x10 is plenty loud if you are being miced. If you want to split the difference you could get a 6x10 or a 4x12.
My main cab is a aguilar 4x12" which is the same size and shape as an 8x10" but about 80lbs lighter.

+1 on the SVT3Pro. I love that amp. But, for your size venues, anything but direct makes no sense. You have no reason to not use a BDDI into the house PA. Egan makes some good points about splitting the cabs, but I would steer clear of a 4x12 unless you're running a passive pickuped bass. 12" speakers usually aren't designed to handle the weird frequencies and transients of a bass and will either turn to mud or blow quickly (btw, egan has a huge 4x12 if its as big as my 8x10). FWIW, I only use my cab in the rehearsal studio or for outdoor venues. The BDDI is great for any indoor venue, and you only have about 2lbs worth of rig to carry, house engineers love you, and the short setup time equals more time for preshow beers. :kickass"

Doc offers a different perspective. If you can be happy working off a monitor mix then that could be the way to go. Personally, unless it's a venue large enough to have sidefills i can't imagine working w/o a cab. Obviously this is a personal comfort thing.
Regarding 12"s...I've never played any cab loaded w/ them other than the aguilar. Disclaimer placed, I've found that cab to have a pretty balanced sound w/ more extended lows than 10s (with active pickups). FWIW, this is my cab.
Anyway, the svt3pro and 410HE is a solid combination and one I used to own.

Another endorsement for the SVT III + 410HE rig. I ran that rig for 5 or 6 years and several hundred gigs in mostly pubs/clubs in Australia and had no issues.

If playing a very large venue I'd simply hire an SVT II and 8x10 for those occasions but my rig did the business for 99% of shows.

marshall vba400 kicks arse.
and for most gigs; avoid 8x10s like the plague. your back and the cab will be ruined.
In my experience trace elliotts are horribly unreliable

Damn, egan, that cab is huge. I'll bet that does sound good. Also, as egan states, a cab is great for your own monitoring. We run in-ear mixes, so I don't ever need a cab on stage, but if I were reliant upon the house engineer's mix, then I would want my own rig up, too.

Damn, egan, that cab is huge. I'll bet that does sound good. Also, as egan states, a cab is great for your own monitoring. We run in-ear mixes, so I don't ever need a cab on stage, but if I were reliant upon the house engineer's mix, then I would want my own rig up, too.
I bet the in-ears make a HUGE difference. I have played so many clubs where the bass sounds awful in the wedges that have almost stopped asking for it.
On our last tour I took out 2 810 cabs (1 on each side of the drum kit) and I loved it. Granted I didn't have to move them much of the time b/c the whole tour shared them. But, monitoring was fantastic....I ran the amp lower than normal but the bass was audible pretty much anywhere I went on stage. Part of my love for big cabs (aside from the looks) is that it gets things closer to ear level which makes a big difference for me.
But man, in ears would be great. Do you guys mix it yourselves or hand a big rack to the engineer?

Part of my love for big cabs (aside from the looks) is that it gets things closer to ear level which makes a big difference for me.
But man, in ears would be great. Do you guys mix it yourselves or hand a big rack to the engineer?

That is the same reason I have an 810. I had the cab before I got in-ears, so it made sense to be able to hear myself and not need to be loud. We do the in-ear mix ourselve with a lot of trial at the rehearsal studio. Best $400 spent on live gear (great used deal on a PSM400).

Mother of god, an 8x10 weighs 184 pounds?!!?!? Sweet mother, I'd think you'd have to be crazy to use one of those

Mother of god, an 8x10 weighs 184 pounds?!!?!? Sweet mother, I'd think you'd have to be crazy to use one of those
Eh...it isn't that bad. The Ampeg 810's that everybody owns are actually 20lbs lighter than the Aguilars.
It takes 2 guys to lift it but that's why you hire a singer. Most of the time you just roll it around. Stairs suck tho. Ultimately 2 guys on an 810 is way easier than 1 guy on a mesa guitar cab.

I fucking haet stairs.
There was a place in my hometown in Tenessee that had three flights of stairs.
Of course the singer wouldn't show up until right before we were supposed to play.
Fuck that noise.

the ashdown evos are amazing, and their cabs are soooo tight!
the sub harmonic control is just the best thing, as i was saying in a another thread, it adds feeling and depth to the tone without you being able to hear it..

i love that thing

I'll probably be investing in a 6x10 at first, due to my band being an unsigned band, and the fact that the 8x10 ampeg is actually bigger than the car.

Oh, and yes, SVT-3Pro does the biz for me

The Ampeg 6x10 is only 8 inches shorter than the 8x10, all other dimension are the same.

I had a 610hlf for three years, and I hated it the whole time... The main difference between it and the 810 is the that the 610 is ported. The sealed 810 has a "knock" and thrust to it that the 610 simply does not.