Best CD...

You ask a tough question because there is no single best album. They have just sooo many great albums! Killers & Number of the Beast are no doubt excellent albums and are some all time favorites. They truely are Maiden classics (just as Nikki says). Buy one of them, you won't be disappointed. For many years Piece of Mind was my favorite album. Now it's Powerslave. Powerslave is Iron Maiden at Mach 3 non-stop!:err: :yow: :hotjump:

Unfortunately, Best of the Beast has been taken out of print. If you can find it in a used record store, I'd say to start with that album. Otherwise, I'd say to go with Rock in Rio. Live After Death is also a good album of selections from the band's first 5 years, but you can tell Bruce's vocal performance is under some severe stress from (at that time) almost 6 months of touring and excessive drinking. The band's performance was tight, but Bruce's voice sounds SO much better now and on the Rock in Rio CD you can tell that he's given up on the alcohol.

Things get better with age... and I believe the Man has never sounded better
I think Bruno's best singing is in his solo stuff... IMHO
the man still drinks, but it's nothing like the 50,000 cans of beer the band was reported as having consumed during one of those infamous tours of the 80s...
Best of the Beast was due to be reissued in April, then it got moved to July, then August, and now it is no longer on the list... the wankers!

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
Best of the Beast was due to be reissued in April, then it got moved to July, then August, and now it is no longer on the list... the wankers!

Gee, sounds like the DVD for Rock in Rio. June, July, August... Umm, this year would be nice! :bah:

Originally posted by smylex
Unfortunately, Best of the Beast has been taken out of print. If you can find it in a used record store, I'd say to start with that album. Otherwise, I'd say to go with Rock in Rio. Live After Death is also a good album of selections from the band's first 5 years, but you can tell Bruce's vocal performance is under some severe stress from (at that time) almost 6 months of touring and excessive drinking. The band's performance was tight, but Bruce's voice sounds SO much better now and on the Rock in Rio CD you can tell that he's given up on the alcohol.

The "Best Of The Beast" that is out of print is the double cd version. The one that still out there is the single cd.
So I advise you to buy the Best Of The Beast 2CD set (which has almost best songs in it) even if it is an used one, coz the single cd version is a complete crap.

I refuse to buy Best of the Beast! All their albums are great! Well, atleast the earlier ones are...hence for probably the reason that TheIronMaidens play the earlier stuff, it just rocks!. Don't get me wrong, the later stuff is really good too. I have them all, except Best of the Beast. They have so many great songs that there is no way you could get them on one or two disks. However, for the person that asked which one to buy as their first maiden album, the Best of the Beast is probably a good idea (if they can find it).

I would buy NOTB and work my way forward... get all the Bruno stuff... love and cherish that... then get the Paul Di'Anno stuff... skip the Blaze stuff....(unless you want to break into bad hives with bouts of vomiting...;))

I would say best first album from Maiden would be any album from earlier Bruce-era. From The Number Of The Beast to 7th Son Of A 7th Son.

And of course, that Best Of The Beast is good too. Double cd versio is sold out? Wow, I have something rare in my hands :D

Congratulation !! You just discovered one of the best band ever !!

They have so much great records, you'll have hour of excellent music to listen :)

If you want first to get some of maiden's classic stuff, you should get a live album ("Live after Death" for stuff before 85 or "Rock in Rio" for eg.)

Otherwise, get any of their records... but don't start with "X factor", "virtual XI" or "No prayer..." which are IMO less interesting than other ones... and enjoy this Great band !! :D

7th son of a 7th son
It was the first maiden album I bought and it`s still my favorite one

buy any, You won´t be dissapointed ... except of Rock in Rio. This is without doubt one of the most disappointing live albums I´ve ever heard ... starting with the stupid cover.

Originally posted by Cold Gin
buy any, You won´t be dissapointed ... except of Rock in Rio. This is without doubt one of the most disappointing live albums I´ve ever heard ... starting with the stupid cover.

What was so disappointing about it? and don't say it was the "overdubs" crap, or the set-list, 'cause that shit has been talked to death.

I got Rock in Rio. It's not too amazing (not too fond of some of the songs... but I'm going for a second listen right now). I'll definitely be getting more if I ever get any money.

bestof.jpg

... even if it an used one.

I like the Rock in Rio album. I think it's great. Aside from all the regular songs, I especially liked how the Clansman came out. Bruce does such a better job than Blaze. I'm looking forward to the DVD! Just wish they could speed up that damned USA version!!! (Now scheduled for release on 8/20.) I wish they would come out with a DVD version of Live after Death. That was a great tour!