Best EQ settings for metal?

Nov 30, 2005
Nebraska
www.facebook.com
I just bought a new tuner for my home system, and I am fine tuning to EQ settings. I was wondering what you all think would help my metal CD's and records sound the best? I personally crank the low frequencies, turn the mids very low, and turn up the highs about 3/4 of the way. Are they any minor (or major) adjustments I could make to improve my listening experience?

Set all dials on 11.

Most stereo EQ settings go to 10, but I had mine specially made to go to 11, which is one higher.

Actually, I do similar to you, but crank the mids to about the same levels of the higher frequencies, as it seems to enhance the guitar sounds.

yeah mids up will probably sound a shitload better.

Carcassian, thank you for clearing up that 11 is one higher than 10 btw. been troubling me for years.

SacredReich said:
yeah mids up will probably sound a shitload better.

Carcassian, thank you for clearing up that 11 is one higher than 10 btw. been troubling me for years.

Spinal Tap, old son.

Boring I might be, dim I'm not.:Smug:

My stereo set up.

Bass- +2
Tremble- +4
R ch(right speaker)- +4
L ch(left speaker)- +4

stereo

This is just how my set up eventually turned out. I have no idea about other settings.

The Greys said:
My stereo set up.

Bass- +2
Tremble- +4
R ch(right speaker)- +4
L ch(left speaker)- +4

stereo

This is just how my set up eventually turned out. I have no idea about other settings.

Is that tremble or treble mate?

I've never fiddled with my tremble settings, at least not in public :oops:

My eq setting are usually: (depending on bass/treb response)
Bass: 8(10)
Mid: 6(7)
Treb: 8(9)

Most speakers are "mid-tuned" anyhow so you're really just flattening it.

The Greys said:
My stereo set up.

Bass- +2
Tremble- +4
R ch(right speaker)- +4
L ch(left speaker)- +4

stereo

Why not just put bass on -2 and leave the others at 0?

fotmbm said:
Nah, I just meant that (If I'm right about this) that+cranking up the volume a bit would give the exact same results?
it doesn't though, the bass and treble control are shelving filters that do not reach into the midrange and thusly if you boost bass & treble equally the curve will have a huge mid scoop and similarly if you cut both equally you will get a mid peak

sfe261.jpg

btw message to all: your stereos are shit, your eq's sound like crap, leave them flat