Best free Virus Protection software?

Jesus.

I'm so glad I used macs now.

FUCK, I repeat FUCK having 19 different programs to scan for viruses, spyware, adware, etc.

I never worry about SHIT! Bare bones OS X is the Jesus of computing.

There are viruses to Mac to(Alot of viruses actually). ;)
And with a bit of common sence you wont get viruses in Windows either.
If you go onto really fishy sites with beastiality the odds are that you are going to get a virus no matter the operativesystem. :p

And with macs becoming the latest in fashion accessory items, guess what is going to be attacked mighty heavily in the next few years :D Anyway, I vote AVG or Avast.

Actually, highly unlikely. The reason PC's, or rather WINDOWS systems get fucked up so much is because the hacking/malware developing community HATES Microsoft, and for good reason. So realistically only Mac users who are running Vista or XP on their machines will be a target...in which case they deserve it anyway because OS X is soooo much more stable it boggles my mind why they would run Windows on an Apple machine...

I'm dealing with some malware on my PC right now, as a matter of fact...and looks like the only solution will be to format and reinstall XP. Whereas on all of the Macs I've owned I've never had any kind of malware issues, ever. The only reason the PC stays around is for Counter-Strike and net browsing...but I think I will just take the wireless card out of it and throw the machine away. Nothing but problems with it left and right.

~006

I don't run Mac OS X because it's fashionable, I run it because it is the best operating system. My primary recording rig is a Hackintosh these days, running on a PC built from parts I bought on NewEgg. Mac OS X is built on the BSD core, which has been around longer than Windows and has proven to be secure all these years.

If anyone is interested in hackintoshing, check out insanelymac.com, it's a cool forum with lots of info and help.

I don't run Mac OS X because it's fashionable, and my primary recording rig is a Hackintosh these days, running on a PC built from parts I bought on NewEgg. It's simply a better OS, built on the BSD core, which has been around longer than Windows and has proven to be secure all these years.

We have a WINNAR!

That's right, kids, OS X is just a better operating system! It's built on a solid foundation that handles the vast majority of what you deal with on the internet (UNIX, for the slow) and doesn't spend half its time trying to be backwards compatible with programs that originally came from disks the size of your head!

Jeff

I feel like I"m missing out on getting all this cool malware and viruses. I've used Windows for years. How do I go about getting infected? Do I have to make stupids moves, or will the virus come to me? Does Windows just bait the virus? I must really be out of the loop to not get a virus. :lol:

I feel like I"m missing out on getting all this cool malware and viruses. I've used Windows for years. How do I go about getting infected? Do I have to make stupids moves, or will the virus come to me? Does Windows just bait the virus? I must really be out of the loop to not get a virus. :lol:

+1

Ive gotten a couple of viruses in the 10 years ive been using the internet, and I cant honestly say that I can complain about that.
And that whole part by "hating windows for a good reason", I dont buy that crap.

I havent really had many problems with windows at all.
The only times you will run in to problems is 99% of the time because of the user.
Windows is not the most used operativesystem in the world just because of the marketing.
Sure, if you really are in to computers etc. there really is alot of flaws, but then again, what is so wrong with having a operativesystem that cook or clean for you?

And that backwardcompability thing is completely untrue.
Its extremely hard to get some stuff from XP to work in Vista, and when XP was released there was an even bigger problem: Leaving DOS.
And the funny thing is, Microsoft has gotten crap for caring too much about being "backwards compatible" AND too not be able to run software made for the previous operativesystem.

Not to defend Microsoft now, but lets just face it, either you guys are just Macintoshfreaks that cant stand that Windows is more popular, or you simply dont know how to handle Windows.

// End rant.

OS X is soooo much more stable it boggles my mind why they would run Windows on an Apple machine...
Agreed but some people have programs that work for PC only that aren't available for Mac yet....on my Macbook Pro, on the XP side... Adaware SE and Webroot Spysweeper are all I ever use.

+1

Ive gotten a couple of viruses in the 10 years ive been using the internet, and I cant honestly say that I can complain about that.
And that whole part by "hating windows for a good reason", I dont buy that crap.

I havent really had many problems with windows at all.
The only times you will run in to problems is 99% of the time because of the user.
Windows is not the most used operativesystem in the world just because of the marketing.
Sure, if you really are in to computers etc. there really is alot of flaws, but then again, what is so wrong with having a operativesystem that cook or clean for you?

And that backwardcompability thing is completely untrue.
Its extremely hard to get some stuff from XP to work in Vista, and when XP was released there was an even bigger problem: Leaving DOS.
And the funny thing is, Microsoft has gotten crap for caring too much about being "backwards compatible" AND too not be able to run software made for the previous operativesystem.

Not to defend Microsoft now, but lets just face it, either you guys are just Macintoshfreaks that cant stand that Windows is more popular, or you simply dont know how to handle Windows.

// End rant.

Oh, hi, I do know how to operate Windows. I have been since I was about as tall as the desk I'm currently typing on. I've been fixing Windows boxes for others since I was 10, as well.

Microsoft keeps a lot of legacy stuff and there's simply no denying that. I'm not a 'Macintoshfreak', either. They keep building new layers of nonsense - yeah, they dropped DOS, whoopdeyfuckingdoo, it's now a slightly less bloated ball of nonsense.

Windows isn't the most popular OS because of its performance, either. Unstable for all of its history - hell, even DOS was broken when they bought it - and the way they got the market was by knowing how to screw people over with contracts. If you bought a computer from the store a few years ago, the company that made it (if it was one of the big ones) was paying for a Windows license whether you planned to use it or not, so it came that way.

Most of my problems with Windows come from having to reboot for no good reason, having a very resource-hogging system (I use the same Linux setup on my main box as I did on an AMD 400MHz with literally 1/16th the RAM, and it's faster, more stable, and has everything but my games), having an inherently insecure platform (and yes, I do know more than my fair share about computer security, I run through a hardware and a software firewall, I have all the anti-thisandthat necessary to zap anything - not a 'user' problem, unless you think a guy that's been breaking shit since he was 3 and who works with cryptography doesn't know about security)...

Actually, on security, there was a crack posted a while back on /. where someone used a pendrive Linux distro to RENAME a couple of files that gave him full credentials for anything. He renamed the command prompt to the disability services tool, then when he booted NOTHING WAS CHECKED and he was able to click the disability access and get the Windows equivalent of root access.

That is fail.

I'm by no stretch an idiot, and by any fair standards I'm a power user - building my own computers since... hell, my age was still one-digit, programming little things for about as long, fixing things for as long as I can remember - and I rarely have problems I caused myself.

Jeff

I said they hate Microsoft, not Windows. They hate Microsoft because of the market monopolizing bullshit they pull. Such as taking over the market on Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Compaq...the list goes on, to where you have to pay for XP or Vista even if you don't want it. They want to retaliate in some way and the easiest way is to create malware that EASILY fucks things up. And, to be quite honest, if you don't think the reason why there are probably close to 1 million bits of malware for Windows compared to the sub 1,000 bits for Apple (if that) is because the hacking/malware developing community hates Microsoft, then - quite simply - you have no idea.

Notuern said:
Notuern said:

You're right, not because of marketing. Because Bill Gates and his partner tricked IBM back in the day into including Windows on every single machine they produced, and even more than they could produce. IBM had to pay for copies of Windows that they didn't even have computers to intall it onto. That's just the beginning. And as far as being "just a Macintoshfreak" you have it completely wrong. I'm more than aware of how to handle Windows, sir, I've been doing it a long time. Again, Windows is not more popular because it is better in any way shape or form. It's been forced into every fucking budget PC made by another large company (Dell, etc.). So let me think...is it more popular because of anything other than the fact that the majority of the people on the planet that bought a computer already had Windows installed by the computer manufacturer? Nope. Because if you could buy an Apple desktop for $450 out the door I'm pretty fucking sure a LOT more people would have those.

~006

Hey dudes, just wanted to give this thread a bump - I did a little more homework, and came across this incredibly useful site, which, among other things, informed me that apparently Spybot has been thoroughly usurped from its throne, and SuperAntiSpyware is now king. Of course, it's just one dude running the site and doing the tests, but he seems to know his stuff and his methods are valid. I'm actually gonna go for the paid version of the full AVG suite, cuz I can stomach $80 for 2 years of updates, as well as a guaranteed effective firewall and tech support. That, along with SuperAntiSpyware and a2 (and common sense ;)) oughta cover me!

Nevermind, guess I'm going for Kaspersky! Apparently the AVG suite doesn't stack up too well amongst the paid competition, and the top rated were Kaspersky, Zonealarm (I've used it for 2 years, and I'm sick of its resource gobbling and hiccups), and Bitdefender (which apparently is also a resource gobbler)