Best guitar performances you've seen live

When I was a freshman at Berklee in Boston back in '84, there was an oriental student, a senior, who played at a cafe across from the dorms...he was absolutely amazing...jazz/fusion kind of stuff...I wish I knew his name to see what became of him.

I've seen a good deal of amazing guitar performances, but on this most recent G3 US tour Paul Gilbert distinguished himself as head and shoulders above the rest. Not only is his cleanliness unmatched (only Yngwie is worth mentioning in the same breath), but his improv is so tasty, clever, and creative. He made Petrucci look like crap and I love Petrucci.

Yngwie opening for Dio, Dream Theater on the 20 year anniversary tour, and Symphony X headlining on the Odyssey tour are probably my next tier.

When I was a freshman at Berklee in Boston back in '84, there was an oriental student, a senior, who played at a cafe across from the dorms...he was absolutely amazing...jazz/fusion kind of stuff...I wish I knew his name to see what became of him.

John Myung? :lol:

I've seen a good deal of amazing guitar performances, but on this most recent G3 US tour Paul Gilbert distinguished himself as head and shoulders above the rest. Not only is his cleanliness unmatched (only Yngwie is worth mentioning in the same breath), but his improv is so tasty, clever, and creative. He made Petrucci look like crap and I love Petrucci.

Paul Gilbert's playing on Yellow Matter Custard's cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps pretty much solidifies him in my book. That solo is beyond extraordinary.

I hope G3 comes through my neck of the woods again. I'd love to see him back to a guitar-based thing rather than trying to be Todd Rundgren.

Paul Gilbert's playing on Yellow Matter Custard's cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps pretty much solidifies him in my book. That solo is beyond extraordinary.

I hope G3 comes through my neck of the woods again. I'd love to see him back to a guitar-based thing rather than trying to be Todd Rundgren.

He just released two guitar instrumental albums these past two years...Get Out of My Yard, and Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar. Total guitar stuff.

Yeah, I know he's back to the guitar thing - my statement came out wrong. The last time I saw him play live was with Mr. Big back in '95-ish. I dig that he's back to the Racer X thing and his own albums are about guitar rather than trying to write songs like Todd Rundgren. :lol:

Yeah, I know he's back to the guitar thing - my statement came out wrong. The last time I saw him play live was with Mr. Big back in '95-ish. I dig that he's back to the Racer X thing and his own albums are about guitar rather than trying to write songs like Todd Rundgren. :lol:

yeah...guitar is his gift...not songwriting.

First off you are correct to comment on that solo as worthy of special mention.

Secondly, how often do you see someone IMPROVISE a solo with that much direction and form? Paul just flat out gets it.

Third... I got to see that solo happen live from only a few feet... SUCKAS! ;)