Best Heathen Metal of 2006

Décadent;5594885 said:
Peste Noire

Oh, if we include black metal in this "heathen" thread there are a lot of other good albums which deserve mention, Peste Noire being one of them. Problem is, I haven't had time to listen properly to said albums yet :/

Hm, I was going to mention Triarii - Pièce Héroique as being one of this years absolute best, but that was perhaps '05?

Heard a band today from England called Forefather absolutely kicked major ass. Excellent Medievil black/epic heathen type metal. Anyone heard of them??

Forefather own!

Sweet , I agree. I was highly impressed. Also listened to a couple of blackmetal bands Dinhymn and one called Hypothermia that was def. depressing suicidal black metal with a vocal style Ive never heard. It was insane. The Forefather I heard was the newest one I think with a skeleton of a british knight on the front with a red cross it was awesome. Yes I hung out with my black metal friend again.

@ CTH :lol:

@ the rest of board ... this thread gives me hope of Agalloch's demise ...

@ Ali Baba .. and don't you EVER DARE to put NB in the same thread with the rest of this "heathen" drivel :loco:
Gwynbleidd is not heathen IMO either, but they might chime in and prove me wrong

just listened to OM today and it dawned on me how optimistic it sounds compared to the rest of their stuff ...

oh wait, optimistic is a negative word in metal

I've been made scared to rip up on Agalloch here but Zod has given me strength. Haughm's vocals are truly bad. They're not even vocals.
Agalloch somehow gets away with being completely talentless. I don't understand it.

Agalloch's not the only band who gets away being talentless. Venom also did/does(to an extent now, Cronos has some talent working with him now. That was evident when I saw them) gets away with it.

I still loves me some Agalloch though. Not about the talent in the playing, its about the song writing for me.

Drudkh - Blood in our wells
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars
Agalloch - Ashes against the grain

...get my vote for best of 2006.

I'm wondering if I should just stay away from this entire genre. I like technical death. This heathen stuff is novel for a short while (like anything really) then the lack of substance really bores me. I listened to Pale Folklore the other day and it just seemed so gimmicky. Alas.