Best Metal Albums of 2010

Dick Sirloin

please... stay safe
Jan 6, 2004
...so, you know, I don't fall COMPLETELY out of the loop.

I'm back in NC for a month, and the trend continues from last year: HOT WEATHER MAKES ME LISTEN TO METAL. Especially black metal. For some reason.

Older stuff I've been revisiting lately:

ABIGOR - Channeling The Quintessence Of Satan
SETHERIAL - Nord
MELVINS - Gluey Porch Treatments
MORGION - Cloaked By Ages, Crowned By Earth (still a fucking masterpiece)
ARSIS - A Celebration Of Guilt
ASTROFAES - Heritage (still kinda a poor man's Drudkh)
BLAZING ETERNITY - A World To Drown In (pretty middling stuff actually, but decent)
BRUCE DICKINSON - Tattooed Millionaire (TM > Fear > No Prayer)

Also, a non-metal 2010 album I think some here will appreciate is THE NATIONAL - High Violet. Completely soul-crushing and beautiful, in a very modern rock kinda way. There's just something unearthly about these dudes that I can't really put my finger on. Love it.

Watain - Lawless Darkness

What a beast of an album.
The true spiritual successor to Dissection.

so far Burzum is unchallenged at spot #1 for me.

Lately I've been enjoying the debut release by Odem Arcarum, some high-profile black metal with avant-garde touches, like a less devil-in-a-box version of Solefald.

Briton Rites - For Mircalla
Ufomammut - Eve
Ares Kingdom - Incendiary

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for 2010.

Also, a non-metal 2010 album I think some here will appreciate is THE NATIONAL - High Violet. Completely soul-crushing and beautiful, in a very modern rock kinda way. There's just something unearthly about these dudes that I can't really put my finger on. Love it.

Checking them out now; a couple songs in and I dig it. I could see this being very addictive.

negura - virstele so far has #1

the les discrets is really good. alcest needs more spins, but sounds a lot more mature. ereb altor is disappointing. burzum is ok. against nature is always good. fear factory is ok.

i dont know what it is about negura that i like so much. i rarely listen to black metal, but this band just does it for me.

einride said:
THIS of all things is what you're listening to in hot weather

I am a strange motherfucker.

Ars Magna said:
Checking them out now; a couple songs in and I dig it. I could see this being very addictive.

The National do one thing and they do it well. I love how they evoke all the best mopey feeling without all the usual woe-is-me-isms. "Terrible Love", "Afraid Of Everyone" and "England" are some of my favorite songs of the year.

I'm listening to BLIND GUARDIAN - Tales From The Twilight World right now. And... enjoying it? WTF

Just heard last night:

A Forest of Stars - Opportunistic Thieves of Spring

Sounds good but first impression is that its quite similar to their debut.

The National...I can't get into that band AT ALL. meh

The new Broken SOcial Scene is the album of the year for me, so far.

Yeah, all my friends hate em as well. Go figure.

Had the new BSS on CD-R but misplaced it somewhere. How does it compare to "You Forgot It In People"?

Gorillaz and LCD have my favorites of the year so far. Really enjoy Dum Dum Girls as well. I've listened to the new Kayo Dot, like, once. Super-excited about new stuff from Arcade Fire and Panda Bear.

Yeah, all my friends hate em as well. Go figure.

Had the new BSS on CD-R but misplaced it somewhere. How does it compare to "You Forgot It In People"?

Gorillaz and LCD have my favorites of the year so far. Really enjoy Dum Dum Girls as well. I've listened to the new Kayo Dot, like, once. Super-excited about new stuff from Arcade Fire and Panda Bear.

Yeah, I need to listen to the new Kayo Dot more. It's getting great reviews over at P-A. I gotta be in the mood for it though since it's so bleak and requires a lot of commitment.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the LCD Soundsystem album. I have never heard them before so I dont even know what to expect.

People always tout YFIIP as BSS' masterpiece. It's one of my favorite albums of the decade but I think there is a few duds in there along with some absolutely stunning songs. As for Forgiveness Rock Record, I think they have made their masterpiece with this one. It's badass throught the entire album, with probably the exception of the short, last filler track, and is infectious as all hell. As to be somewhat expected, the album is completely stylistically varied. My favorites are Romance To The Grave, Art House Director, and Chase Scene.

Yeah, I was wondering when someone else would listen to it and comment.
Waters of Ain is possibly the best song written in the last 10 years. (14 minute epic, melodic and atmospheric)

They really wear their Bathory and Dissection worship on their sleeves and do the masters justice.