Best vocal work!

Krondor

Jan 16, 2008
Finland
So what do you think is the best vocal work you've heard? Can be a single song or an album or a live show.

Naturally I'm gonna say The Odyssey as a song. I guess no need to tell my reasons.

I'm a huge fan of Zeppelin so I'm also gonna say 1970 live from Royal Albert Hall.
Robert's voice is AMAZING! :worship:

Hansi Kürsch of Blind Guardian on the album 'Nightfall in Middle Earth'.

Ronnie James Dio on Rainbow-Rising, Sabbath-The Mob Rules and Holy Diver
Russel Allen on V
Geoff Tate on Operation Mindcrime
Tom Englund on Evergrey In Search of Truth

and Russel Allen is a great choice
Geoff Tate '83 thru at least '91 #1
any Sammy Hagar
young Robert Plant
James Dewar - Trower - Bridge of Sighs and other recordings
Ian Gillan - Child in Time, Lazy and JCS many others
Murray Head - Judas - JCS
Ann Wilson - Heart, pick the song
Dio ..............................................
Steve Perry - not much of a fan of the music but damn that boy could sing
Michael Matijevic - Steeheart - had his moments
Coverdale has had his moments
Michael Kiske had his moments
Elvis - The live TV broadcast that was done sometime in the ?mid 70's, powerful damn performance
I've heard some damn sweet songs while making love....... artists names remain confidential

theres hundreds, thousands great vocal performances.......

and Russel Allen is a great choice
Geoff Tate '83 thru at least '91 #1
any Sammy Hagar
young Robert Plant
James Dewar - Trower - Bridge of Sighs and other recordings
Ian Gillan - Child in Time, Lazy and JCS many others
Murray Head - Judas - JCS
Ann Wilson - Heart, pick the song
Dio ..............................................
Steve Perry - not much of a fan of the music but damn that boy could sing
Michael Matijevic - Steeheart - had his moments
Coverdale has had his moments
Michael Kiske had his moments
Elvis - The live TV broadcast that was done sometime in the ?mid 70's, powerful damn performance
I've heard some damn sweet songs while making love....... artists names remain confidential

theres hundreds, thousands great vocal performances.......

yeah, allthough i never liked robert plant much, he really annoys me nowerdays aswell, what a prick he is

Actually I think Lou Graham from Foreigner has one of the best set of pipes in the business.
Phil Lynott...especially Black Rose and Jailbreak
Joe Lynn Turner too...he's a great vocalist...did some great stuff with Rainbow.

Actually I think Lou Graham from Foreigner has one of the best set of pipes in the business.
Phil Lynott...especially Black Rose and Jailbreak
Joe Lynn Turner too...he's a great vocalist...did some great stuff with Rainbow.

Lou Graham could sing well, but damn.... I didnt like Foreigner
Lynott was a great sound
Turner - I have Masters & Slaves or Slaves & Masters, whatever it is and really never took to it. I still play it every once in awhile for a change.

Whos the guy that sang on Yngwies first albums ? I've heard many people say they thought he had something goin on. Didnt strike me that way but thats taste

I always liked Steve Marriots voice from Humble Pie, he was a bit shrill, but back in the day we thought his live performance on "Rockin the Filmore" was great. That was more of a rowdy thing than dynamics though... kids!

Somehow I managed to forget Jon Oliva and Zach Stevens, theres many great vocal tracks on all Savatage albums and both of these guys are high on my list along with .... Ray Alder :OMG:

most all those pop metal guys could sing damn good, problem was they all had the same style and sound and there was so many of them. I guess its good it died out but I actually miss it sometimes today.

-Gildenlow- The perfect element (from the album of the same name), Oblivion Ocean (from 12:5), and Beyond the Pale (remedy lane) are the first ones that come to mind

-Russel Allen- Atomic Soul. As much as I like his stuff with SX, I like him more in this element

-Myles Kennedy- the guy from Alter Bridge. Like the band or not, the dude has a killer voice

-Devon Graves- he slays on The Human Equation. I only have one Dead Soul Tribe cd (the january tree), but he slays on that too

-Michael MacDonald- Winner at life

-James LaBrie- most of his solo stuff and The Human Equation. Love him in dream theater too, but I think he shines more on his own stuff

-Roy kahn- I actually like his voice on Ghost Opera (the whole album) more than anything else he's done

-Mikael Akerfeldt- Still Life

-Mariusz Duda- from Riverside....I'm going to go with Second Life Syndrome (the song) on this one

Wow no one has said James LaBrie???

James LaBrie is very underrated and one of my favorite singers!

Redragon

damn the "metal world" sure has its finicky ball ass wankers, crying all the time about what they hate, sometimes its like being caught in the middle of a teeny girly clique whispering behind each others back because they hate the other girls hair. Here I thought metal was man music
..................................................................................

glad you brought up Myles Kennedy, I bought the first Alter Bridge CD because of his singing and I like the whole thing, spent alot fo time listening to it a few years ago. Same goes for the guy from Shinedown, was attracted to the band because here was a vocalist with balls, range and passion, bought the CD and liked the whole thing.

Good call on Devon Graves Meedley, I also think Mikael Akerfeldt's and James LaBrie's contributions to Ayreon- THE are some of their best.

I haven't heard a lot of Jorn Lande, but I'm super impressed with his contribution to the new Ayreon album 01101001, what a brilliant vocalist!

Man, my long reply got deleted

Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
Daniel Gildenlow (PoS) - 12:5/Remedy Lane
Christian Älvestam (Scar Symmetry)
Lou Graham (Foreigner)
Stephen Christian (Anberlin) - Cities
Devon Graves (Dead Soul Tribe)
Ray Alder (Fates Warning) - FWX/A Pleasant Shade of Gray
Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live
Chris Salinas (Zero Hour) - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond
Eric Rosvold (Zero Hour) - The Towers of Avarice
Devin Townsend
Stephen Jenkins (Third Eye Blind) - Blue
Matt Scannell & Keith Kane (Vertical Horizon) - Go/Live Stages/Running On Ice
Ed Kowalczyk (Live) - Birds of Pray/Distance To Here
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Petronella Nettermalm (Paatos)
Mariusz Duda (Riverside) - Out Of Myself
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
Mac Dermott (Threshold) - Dead Reckoning/Subsurface
Bono (U2) - Under A Blood Red Sky/Rattle & Hum
Garm (Ulver) - Perdition City/Blood Inside
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Jon Anderson (Yes) - The Ladder/Union
Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - The Division Bell
Kobi Farhi (Orphaned Land) - Mabool
Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity) - Character
Russell Allen
Billy Joel
Roy Khan (Kamelot) - The Black Halo
Steve Hogarth (Marillion) - Seasons' End

I'm forgetting ones that got deleted, and these are not in any order.