Beyond Creation

Travis

Bassist
Jan 2, 2006
Near Albany, NY
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know about my friends up in Montreal called Beyond Creation. Some of you might remember Forest from Augury - He plays in the Death tribute band Symbolic now too, actually. Awesome dude, killer bass player. Gonna go drive up and hang out with those guys again this coming weekend.

Anyways, Beyond Creation - The Aura...think Necrophagist meets Obscura. To play devil's advocate, I think some of it (Tracks 1 and 6 in particular) definitely sound a little too Necrophagist, but part of that is the production (goddamnit does a snare drum really need that much reverb?). In terms of that formula of songwriting though, I think these guys are better than Obscura, which is kind of a shame because they won't see the same level of exposure simply because they don't have the "big names" that Obscura does. (Not trying to knock Obscura by any means...!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard it. Pretty good, I prefer it over Necrophagist, but not over Obscura. I might be opening for Obscura on November 22, but I doubt it. I'm a huge fan of 90's production (before triggers were the determining factor in how a band sounded), so I'm usually not that into new bands, but pretty much anything with fretless bass is awesome, so I'd say it's great.

Just to throw out a band that I think is one of the best bands of recent years, Vektor is amazing. Anyone who hasn't heard Vektor should hear them. Progressive Thrash with Death Metal and Black Metal elements. Seen them 3 times and they get better each time.

As bass players, I think Dominic is just on par with Steve and Jeroen. In band's comparisons, I actually prefer BC over latest Obscura, especially on the songwriting dept. As basslines, I might prefer Forest over Jeroen in Omnivium, but compared with Cosmogenesis I can't choose so easily. I still think Forest had more room than Jeroen to shine, where he probably struggled a little bit to put the bass where it is, given the 'big names' involved.

This guy also plays in Atheretic, which is another excellent band where he rips the bass. At least in underground terms, Augury's Fragmentary Evidence is leading the way more than Obscura, as the example how prog/tech death should be done. I hope BC gets more exposure, it really kick ass.

I tend to think that Tech Death should be done under the Cynic, Atheist, Death, Cryptopsy, and Gorguts models. Those are what I consider the big 5 of Tech Death - Cynic's prog influences and unique instrumentation with jazz influences, Atheist's crazy usage of guitar riffs against bass rhythms, incorporation of Jazz and Latin, and bizarre time signatures, Death's extremely innovative drumming and songwriting, as well as Digiorgio's bass abilities, and the many guitarist's soloing abilities, Cryptopsy's extreme speed, and virtuoso EVERYTHING, and Gorguts' unique usage of instruments with dissonant melodies, non-melodic structure, and random guitar techniques such as harmonics and pick slides as parts of riffs.

Those are the 5 that I think all of Tech Death is modeled after, and who does it best. But of the new age of Tech Death, there are definitely many forces to be reckoned with, and I've taken note of Necrophagist, Obscura, and Spawn of Possession.

Forest is sick, and also a really nice and humble guy too! Had the pleasure of chatting and bro'ing out with him at their show in Ottawa a few weeks ago. He also played on Defiant Indoctrination (Quo Vadis' live DVD); some of the songs which Steve recorded!

As bass players, I think Dominic is just on par with Steve and Jeroen.

this is the big 3 for me too, although I play fretted, but I love the melodic sense of these guys

the aura is the best 2011 album IMHO