Big power metal albums in 2010 and 2011

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
A lot of big name power metal bands released an album this year as you can see below. 22 of the better known bands entered the fray so to speak and amongst this list there isn't really a bad album that I can spot but there are albums that I don't like.

the breakdown goes something like this for me:

Love:

Dream Evil - In the Night
Edenbridge - Solitaire
Axel Rudi Pell - The Crest
Firewind - Days of Defiance
Helloween - 7 Sinners
Rage - Strings to a Web
Rhapsody of Fire - The Frozen Tears of Angels
Sabaton - Coat of Arms
Wuthering Heights - Salt

Like:
Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
Dark Moor - Ancestral Romance
Gamma Ray - To the Metal!
Virgin Steele - The Black Light Bacchanalia

Ok:
Angra - Aqua
Blind Guardian - At The Edge of Time
Freedom Call - Legend of the Shadowking
Grave Digger - The Clans Will Rise Again
Orden Ogan - Easton Hope
Shaman - Origins

Don't Like:
Elvenking - Red Silent Tides
Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
Symphorce - Unrestricted

what does yours look like from the above list?

Also now that we won't be seeing these particular bands on plastic in 2011, which power metal bands are due in next year? I am wondering if there will be slim pickings with the bigger names in 2011.

Stratovarius and is an immediate pick with their Elysium album. I am also hoping for these but ain't holding my breath!
Cage might but work slow I think. Fairyland to follow up the brilliant previous CD. Hammerfall and Heavenly but it's probably too soon. Mystic Prophecy I am very hopeful of as they work quick and they kick ass too pretty much always. Powerwolf is one of my fave bands of recent times and is my most anticipated album set for release in mid 2011 according to their site. Primal Fear is possible but I'm guessing the Scheepers solo record will be enough next year. Sonata Arctica will hopefully do something better than that last piece of crap(imo) but probably not. My German faves Wizard could do something I hope. Dare I mention Dragonforce? hehe..no singer and no new album. Things looking mighty shitty in that camp. Evergrey will be big in 2011 of course but I've completely gone off them but will give them a chance. That Tolkki project needs to be heard as well. Falconer is going back to their roots on the next CD. It will be all Swedish lyrics and more folky and less metal. Hmmm doesn't sound so good. What is Iced Earth up to?

Overall it looks like a fairly quiet year as far as biggie power metal releases goes but with a few shining moments. Maybe a chance for lesser known underground bands to impress.

Love:
Firewind-Days of Defiance
Rhapsody-Frozen tears of Angels
Wuthering Heights-Salt
Avantasia-Wicked Symphony
Avantasia-Angel of Babylon
Dark Moor-Ancestral Romance
Freedom Call-Legend of the Shadowking
Elvenking-Red Silent Tides

Like:
Helloween-7 Sinners
Angra-Aqua
Blind Guardian-At the Edge of Time

OK:
Rage-Strings to a Web
Sabaton-Coat of Arms
Orden Ogan-Easton Hope

Don't Like:
Shaman-Origins
Dream Evil-In the Night
Axel Rudi Pell-Solitaire
Gamma Ray-To the Metal

Love: Firewind, Helloween, Rage, Avantasia (Angel of Babylon), Blind Guardian, Nevermore, Pretty Maids

Like: Grave Digger, Axel Rudi Pell, Avantasia (Wicked Symphony), Kamelot, Masterplan

Ok: Gamma Ray, Angra

Don't Like: Dream Evi

Off the top of my head for 2011 I am really looking forward to Stratovarius and Voodoo Circle.

From the ones you listed that I've heard:

Elvenking - Red Silent Tides ??? (sitting under my Xmas tree...)

Love:
Firewind - Days of Defiance
Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
Rage - Strings to a Web
Sabaton - Coat of Arms

Like:
Dream Evil - In the Night
Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
Orden Ogan - Easton Hope

Ok:
Freedom Call - Legend of the Shadowking

Don't Like: