Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

matt99_crew

Dec 9, 2003
Don't post here much but lurk some.

Just wanted to tell others how much ass this album kicks. I was late picking this up and now regret being so slow. Fantastic, modern black metal with hints of industrial and ambient sounds. A lush, layered album that is consistently good.
Any other fans?

Sorath said:
Thanks for saying this, that's one less in the TO BUY-list.

That was the same reason it took me so long to get the album, I'm still waiting for it though so I can't tell you how prevalent it is on the album.

Man, the first two replies are negative to this marvelous milestone of an album? For shame!!! :p

This hit me immediately and grows even more with each listen, all the hidden stuff slowly reveals itself and gives me the willies somethin' terrible.

I don't really hear any industrial, maybe in the between tracks but even those are pretty subtle.

I finally received it in the mail today and I am not hearing any industrial in it so far (but I'm only on "Axis"). I'm actually liking this more than 'N Crugu Bradului thus far.

NAD said:
I don't really hear any industrial, maybe in the between tracks but even those are pretty subtle.

Yeah, you're right, it is a subtle kind of thing, which works better than a more obvious sound, in my opinion. Besides some of the programming, the other sounds that make me think industrial is a lot of the guitar sounds that remind me so much of some of Killing Joke's. KJ are one of the early bands of industrial, although you don't hear much of their stuff and immediately think of the genre. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one that hears this.

I like Satyricon's Volcano quite a bit, but it still sounds like it owes quite a debt to Skinny Puppy.

The Blut Aus Nord CD is not industrial sounding to me, and yet it's not exactly written to the sounds of ancient runes either. The Work that Transforms God is a horror soundtrack. It's like a trip inside the mind of a maniac killer that lurks within an old abandoned slaughterhouse in a desolate field. It is scary music.

Plus, where else have you heard riffs that ascend and descend as if played on fretless guitars? Sounds like a swarm of killer bees. Gotta play it loud and on headphones. It's not background music.

I'm telling you, high volume at 100mph in pitch black surroundings this CD gets 10x better, and it already kicks ass. :Smokedev:

Okay, I can see it having the industrial feel as opposed to being overtly industrial. Killing Joke kicks ass.

I also disagree that industrial is the right word to describe this album, despite the fact that parts of it do sound engineered by some malevolent machinery. It does sound cold and desolate, no question.

Thanks for that inappropriately designed link, now to check out some of their earlier work...

Umm, just hints of it. It wouldn't be my main descriptor either, just like ambient. But I think both contribute to the overall sound of the black metal.

I was camping alone in the mountains, drunk by a river at night, and tried to listen to this CD. Scared the living piss outta me, turned it off.

As a side note, on this excursion I realized that The Mantle > Pale Folklore, but by a tad (I don't know how much a tad is in metric length, but it's a little longer than Profanity's penis.)

i can hear the industrial elements in this one.
this record is as scary as when I first heard Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion ...

i can just imagine BWD listening to The Supreme Abstract alone in the mountains and freaking out ... hehe

I can understand that Erik doesn't like Blut Aus Nord as much as the rest of us. He definitely goes for the earthy stuff. But I'm really surprised J. hasn't gotten into them more. They experiment with BM the same way Old Man Gloom and Neurosis do with hardcore/noisecore/whatevercore.