Book about Metalheads and Metal Music with Mike

because it's a French writer ... it's not a book about Opeth, it's a French guy who wrote about the metal scene. believe it or not, a lot of countries in the world still use their own language instead of English.

because it's a French writer ... it's not a book about Opeth, it's a French guy who wrote about the metal scene. believe it or not, a lot of countries in the world still use their own language instead of English.

wow REALLY?:Smug:

im saying wouldnt it make more sense to publish it in english also considering it IS the first language of the world?

faggot

no it wouldn't ... lots of books don't get published in English ... perhaps if it starts selling a lot, than they'll translate it for other markets.
I don't think they intended to release it worldwide or anything.

dumb ass

edit: just imagine ... one guy wants to write a book, he speaks French and his English is not that very good (that often happens with French speaking people). he wants to release it in his country. So why the hell would he pay someone a lot of money to translate it to English???
once a book reaches a certain status and sells a lot, than that book might get translated to DIFFERENT languageS (not only English!!). Can you imagine that most people in the world, like more than 90%!!, read books in their own language?
or did you think that this was an opeth-release? or that they said: hey, some opeth fans in australia and the US might want this, and they are to stupid to read French (a lot of people can read both, but most of them don't live in australia or the US), so let us do a lot of work translating it so a handful of idiots on the other side of the world will buy it too.

i repeat: dumbass!

no it wouldn't ... lots of books don't get published in English ... perhaps if it starts selling a lot, than they'll translate it for other markets.
I don't think they intended to release it worldwide or anything.

Lol that's really all you had to say. There's nothing on the Net to suggest if it's a small or big release and what markets it's being aimed at.

I thought Mandarin Chinese was the biggest language in the world...

Yeah but that's different from the first language. English is the lingua franca of our era. Mandarin is just spoken by a shit load of people.

oh come on, if you often read books and follow new releases than it's obvious this is the way it works in countries here in europe where english is not the main language ... just common sense ... stop being such an idiot.
it's not because english is the first language in the world (which in a lot of parts in the world it still is NOT, even in europe), that every book is going to be released in english. is that so fucking hard to understand? search the internet in different languages and you will get at least as much webpages, you'll find as least as much music and movies and books in those languages as in english.
so again, why is it so hard for you to understand? ... english is not so much a "lingua franca" (wich means French language actually ironically) as you think it is, far from it actually.

oh come on, if you often read books and follow new releases than it's obvious this is the way it works in countries here in europe where english is not the main language ... just common sense ... stop being such an idiot.
it's not because english is the first language in the world (which in a lot of parts in the world it still is NOT, even in europe), that every book is going to be released in english. is that so fucking hard to understand? search the internet in different languages and you will get at least as much webpages, you'll find as least as much music and movies and books in those languages as in english.
so again, why is it so hard for you to understand? ... english is not so much a "lingua franca" (wich means French language actually ironically) as you think it is, far from it actually.

Not to stir up the pot, but then can you explain why so many bands that speak so many different languages choose to release their music in English? Why aren't all these scandinavian metal bands writing lyrics in, say, Spanish or Mandarin? It's not just chance. There's a reason.

i'm not saying english isn't important in the world nowadays, i'm only saying that it is far from being the "lingua franca" ... and a lot of metal bands do release music in their own languages ... but bands aiming for a wider audience in the world, do write in english yes, because if you are going to talk to foreign people, than english probably is your best option that both will speak it. but so many people in so many countries can't speak english, and can't understand those lyrics.
it has more to do with domination first by the english and now by the americans, than that it has to do with english being a lingua franca like latin or french was (and even then less than 1% of the population in europe spoke it!).
even in the scientific world you have to know english, french and german, and preferably even some other languages that are used in your own domain.

but this has nothing left to do with the topic of this thread :p ... fact is: the book is written in french by a french guy for the french market and this is completely normal! so you can buy the book for the pretty picture on the cover, or you can read it (in french!) or you can wait and hope they'll release it in english someday (or whatever language you want to read it in).

i'm not saying english isn't important in the world nowadays, i'm only saying that it is far from being the "lingua franca" ... and a lot of metal bands do release music in their own languages ... but bands aiming for a wider audience in the world, do write in english yes, because if you are going to talk to foreign people, than english probably is your best option that both will speak it. but so many people in so many countries can't speak english, and can't understand those lyrics.
it has more to do with domination first by the english and now by the americans, than that it has to do with english being a lingua franca like latin or french was (and even then less than 1% of the population in europe spoke it!).
even in the scientific world you have to know english, french and german, and preferably even some other languages that are used in your own domain.

but this has nothing left to do with the topic of this thread :p ... fact is: the book is written in french by a french guy for the french market and this is completely normal! so you can buy the book for the pretty picture on the cover, or you can read it (in french!) or you can wait and hope they'll release it in english someday (or whatever language you want to read it in).

I appreciate that response. Thank you.

Well, just like people use German in international business, and how we still use French in the UN, a lot of musical artists around the world speak English.

OK, fair enough. I'm far from an avid reader and honestly have no idea how the publishing industry works. Call me naive.

This is interesting. English is the lingua franca of international business, science, aviation, and diplomacy. So many industries are dominated by English speaking countries and English is in general so widely spoken by people as a second language that (to me) it's only reasonable to assume that it's the lingua franca. Also, I am aware of the English translation of the term. So, on friendly terms (which I admit the above wasn't, and I lost out:(), what would you say is the lingua franca of our time? Is there one? And if so, how is it more popular than English (not just by the amount of people who speak it, but by it's spread)?

I like interesting topics:)