Brann Dailor of Mastodon on Remission: Show me a better drumming performance?

Feb 12, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I still get blown away when ever I just sit and really listen to this guy work. The most 'active' drummer I can think of, with rediculous and catchy patterns. The only ones I can think of that come close are maybe some stuff from Tomas Haake, Flo Mounier...

This isn't meant to be 'list your 20 favorite drummers' as there seems to be one of those posts every 3 pages. I'm talking about single performances on specific records. I really want to hear some other peoples favorites, I'm interested to check stuff out if I've missed it.

Though I wouldn't recommend you much of their work (since many on this board would blindy dismiss it as dull wankery upon hearing a solo), but Neil Peart of Rush and Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater have always interested me as drummers.

o_O I've never even noticed the drumming on Remission let alone been impressed by it.

crazy, technical, catchy drummers that instantly come to mind;

Sir Proscriptor McGovern (Absu, Melechesh) Tara (Absu)
Andyan Gorust (Siksakubur) Back To Vengeance
Jordan Varela (Debodified) Utopia in the Eyes of a Beast
Alexandre Erian (Neuraxis) Imagery, Passage Into Forlorn, Truth Beyond

I concur with the thread starter, he is amazing. I wonder how tired and dehydrated he gets after each show. And Neil Peart couldnt pull Dailor's shit off- techinically yes, but never with such intensity

SculptedCold said:
o_O I've never even noticed the drumming on Remission let alone been impressed by it.
You need to go back and listen. Seriously, he is awesome.

Someone who hasnt been mentioned, the guy from Lykathea Aflame is really good. As is the drumming on Watchtower's albums.

As is the drumming on Watchtower's albums.

YES!! Rick Colaluca is incredible, certainly one of the most underappreciated drummers in metal. I would also profess the same for Fates Warning's drummer from the earlier recordings, Steve Zimmerman.

SculptedCold said:
That's just whack, yo.

The first thing I noticed when I heard Mastodon was the crazy drumming.

Nihilistic said:
Yeah! Fucking amazing.

Also, Jordan Varela is in Lust of Decay. He's great in their stuff too.

I need to hear Siksakubur. :yell:

About LoD, it's too bad they are horribly average when it comes to everything else. Their drummer is very technical and fast at times, I like the drumming...it's just...everything else ain't too hot.

Toma Corn is an amazing drummer (he's "that guy from Lykathea Aflame"), as is Proscriptor.

Brann Dailor is quite good, but they put the drumming a bit far in the mix on Remission, methinks.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Brann Dailor is quite good, but they put the drumming a bit far in the mix on Remission, methinks.

Agreed, the production in general isn't amazing. However the drums aren't TOO buried at LOUD volumes... which is the way I prefer. Under the right influence, they are especially mezmerizing.