Brutal/Slam Death

Faint

Sheep Worrier
Jul 23, 2007
Wales
www.last.fm
The only brutal death band I've really got into is Suffocation and I was wondering if you guys could give me a list of 5 or so essential brutal death albums (rather than bands). I generally have the problem that whenever I listen to a brutal death album it just sounds like one song repeated 10 times, so anything I won't get bored of and has replay value would be good.

Essentials...

Deeds Of Flesh - Path Of The Weakening; Crown Of Souls
Devourment - Butcher The Weak
Disgorge (US) - Parallels Of Infinite Torture
Inveracity - Extermination Of Millions
Odious Mortem - Cryptic Implosion

Also check out...

Abysmal Torment
Decrepit Birth
Aversion To Life
Revenance
Atrocious Abnormality
Septycal Gorge
Unmerciful
Defeated Sanity
Malignancy
Cenotaph
Human Rejection
Carnivore Diprosopus
Incinerate
Severed Savior
Origin
Vile
Kronos
Krisiun
The Ordher
Skinless

^Kinda. They are to Brutal/Slam as Dark Tranquillity are to death metal

I'll give 5 of my favorites and then tell you which you might prefer over others

Devourment - Molesting the Decapitated (or 1.3.8) This might take some getting used to. It is THE slam death album and my favorite of all time. Songs are ultra heavy, vocals are sick and the slams make each song catchy and unique. This may not be the best intro to the genre but if you are seriously interested in listening to brutal death, you have to listen at some point

Disgorge - Cranial Impalement. Fabulous album with the sickest vocals ever. Riffs and production are very well done. It does fall prey to the one long song thing (it's a great song though!) so you might want to leave this until later.

Cenotaph - Pseudo Verminal Cadaverium. Zeph mentioned this and for good reason. This album isn't terribly accessible because there is so much going on but in my mind it gets better every time I listen to it. There are so many interesting riffs by every instrument that it would be impossible to get bored. Each song is like a mini album of brutality. This album is very entertaining

Goretrade - Ritual of Flesh and Perception of Hate. Goretrade are from the AMAZING Colombian BDM scene and are the best imo. I think you'll enjoy both these albums a lot. The songs are very well composed and utilize both brutal and old school riffs. The production is better on Perception but it's not terrible on Ritual. Goretrade is not quite as intricate as Cenotaph but they seem to always use the right riff at the right time and it makes for a very satisfying listen.

I know I said five but I have to add one more

WORMED - Planesphaerium. THE HEAVIEST ALBUM I HAVE EVER HEARD! This is how slam is meant to be. Everything is just crushing. It's nearly indescribable. They even make the occasional acoustic or tremelo riff incredibly brutal. Just get this. :cool:

Hope this post helped.

Re: Dying Fetus - slam or not? Slam, technically. I'm not a big fan but I can't really say they're not part of the style since they basically/usually are (and a lot of popular slam bands such as Vomit Remnants sound similar a lot of the time). It seems like CC and I are getting fans here, I think we're converting some people; pretty sweet!

A few more good recs:

Human Mincer - Embryonized
Ingurgitate - Blackest Origins...
Insidious Decrepancy - Decadent Orgy Of Atrocious Suffering
Cephalotripsy - Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies
Mindly Rotten - The Most Exquisite Agonies (just came in the mail here!)
Ouroboros - Critical Perspective EP (same!)
Human Rejection - Torture Of Decimation
Carnivore Diprosopus - Madhouse's Macabre Acts
Putrefukation - Vortex Of Zombified Mortuary Procedures
Gored - Incinerate The Vanquished
Brodequin - Methods Of Execution
Ancient Necropsy - Deformed King's Mummification

I could literally go on forever though.

It seems like CC and I are getting fans here, I think we're converting some people; pretty sweet!

Haha yeah, I just have moments when I need some brutal death, as everyone should tbh. Thanks alot for all the recs so far, I'll check them out asap. Appreciate it alot :headbang:

Re: Dying Fetus - slam or not? Slam, technically. I'm not a big fan but I can't really say they're not part of the style since they basically/usually are (and a lot of popular slam bands such as Vomit Remnants sound similar a lot of the time). It seems like CC and I are getting fans here, I think we're converting some people; pretty sweet!

A few more good recs:

Human Mincer - Embryonized
Ingurgitate - Blackest Origins...
Insidious Decrepancy - Decadent Orgy Of Atrocious Suffering
Cephalotripsy - Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies
Mindly Rotten - The Most Exquisite Agonies (just came in the mail here!)
Ouroboros - Critical Perspective EP (same!)
Human Rejection - Torture Of Decimation
Carnivore Diprosopus - Madhouse's Macabre Acts
Putrefukation - Vortex Of Zombified Mortuary Procedures
Gored - Incinerate The Vanquished
Brodequin - Methods Of Execution
Ancient Necropsy - Deformed King's Mummification

I could literally go on forever though.

so dying fetus leans more towards grindcore or??

i know theyre not grind i just meant how the hell could they be anything but brutal death metal

Fine, I'm looking for Brutal Death Metal that incorporates the use of falsetto's (ala King Diamond).

Gimme now.

Uh, this isn't BRUTAL, but Disembarkation - Rancorous Observision is fucking COOL Canadian tech death/prog metal with awesome falsetto screams.

I have that album; I was looking for something more like Infernal Revulsion with teh squeeky highs ;)